Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Looking to purchase new jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/looking-to-purchase-new-jeep-236256.html)

Franciscoapg 04-19-2013 04:05 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Hey guys, I would like to introduce myself. My name is Francisco. I'm looking to purchase a TJ and was looking for some advice. I certainly want a modified TJ, I'm knowledgeable in mechanics and like to do things myself but I'm also looking to get one setup well at a cheap price. My question comes in here. I have a few TJs I'm looking at. One is lifted with what the owner describes as a custom 6 or 7 inch lift. I saw the Jeep and cannot attest to what it falls under as I don't have too much experience with it but it was certainly up there. I spotted a body lift of either 1 or 2 inches. Another jeep I'm looking at is stock. The lifted jeep has a hardtop and hard doors and comes also with soft doors (which I prefer.) The stock one has a spice soft top and half doors which I don't much like. The lifted jeep is also running 35" tires but on stock d35 and d30 axles. Which the owner may or may not have re-geared. I know to dependably run 35s" (which I would like) I would want a d44 or to do an 8.8 swap. The stock jeep has the same base axles. The stock jeep is $6k the lifted jeep is $6.9k the lifted jeep drives slow and brakes terribly. I would install the dual piston caliper upgrade if I got the lifted jeep. The jeep feels tough to keep on the road. I'm not certain if the springs or shocks are worn/blown which may have something to do with it. My goal with the jeep i get is something that rides well. I have not test driven the stock jeep.

My dilemma: should I buy the lifted jeep and fix some parts here an there such as brakes and potentially redo the lift or go the stock route. I can't spend too much doing whichever tj I get up so I want the best option to yield the best results at the best cost. What do you think? By the way both are 4.0L 5 speed and have approximately 160,000 miles.

Here are some pictures of the lifted jeep.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Big Cole 04-19-2013 05:59 AM

I would go for the stock jeep unless you really want to spend your time fixing an unknown volume of mechanical issues. Start with a clean slate and build the rig over time to something suited to your driving needs.

GoodLife 04-19-2013 06:44 AM

It comes down to needs and budget. If it is your daily driver, you may want to get the stock Jeep and build it up. Of course, it can get expensive to build depending on how big you want to go.

toms01TJ 04-19-2013 06:55 AM

Neither way is going to be cheap, as you will find that Jeep truly stands for: Just Empty Every Pocket.

Go with the stock one. The lifted one has no doubt seen it's share of hard use (compared to stock), and simply being modded the way it is would be tough on the stock drivetrain. Sounds to me like it has not been re-geared either.

At least with factory stock you get something that you can safely drive right now, and any modifications done will be done by yourself with full knowledge of what's in store as you build it up.

My .02

Franciscoapg 04-20-2013 02:26 PM

I appreciate all of your responses. The stock one is unfortunately no longer available and I want to get a jeep ASAP in order to slow down and carry cargo (I'm riding a sport bike daily) I have gotten the owner of the lifted TJ to 6,700 is that a good deal with a long arm lift, running 35"s with a hardtop, full doors and 5 speed? It's blue book value for private party is only about $3600 but I get the impression that blue book isn't a good source for wrangler prices.

Jerry Bransford 04-20-2013 03:34 PM

I wouldn't touch that Jeep, it has too many obvious problems in my personal opinion. Not to mention its height is excessive (too high of a center-of-gravity) for 35" tires. Especially that it is running a Dana 35 rear axle which won't be reliable with those 35" tires. Even its rear pinion angle is way off (too low) which causes driveshaft/u-joint vibrations. By now, I wouldn't doubt the excessively low rear pinion angle problem has already caused other problems (like bad seals, u-joints, or bearings) with the vibrations it is causing. It is also still running the way-too-skinny OE tie rod which won't hold up for long to offroading with that big of a tire. New/stronger steering & better brakes are strongly advised for 35" tires.

It would cost some significant $$$ to get that Jeep set up properly so it will handle those 35" tires.

jeepwayoflife 04-20-2013 03:39 PM

Look at that right front brake line! My eyes may be playing tricks on me but that looks darn short... You flex even a little and you are going to rip those right off. I would pass. If he didn't do things as simple as that, you would probably be looking at rear axle upgrade, regearing, new brakes, new rear control arms for proper pinion angle, and dealing with whatever damage came from not setting the jeep up correctly.

Jerry Bransford 04-20-2013 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 3661208)
Look at that right front brake line! My eyes may be playing tricks on me but that looks darn short... You flex even a little and you are going to rip those right off. I would pass. If he didn't do things as simple as that, you would probably be looking at rear axle upgrade, regearing, new brakes, new rear control arms for proper pinion angle, and dealing with whatever damage came from not setting the jeep up correctly.

Wow I didn't even notice that brake line, you're right it would be torn off the second that axle drooped down while offroading on an uneven trail. The control arm lengths are already adjustable so he wouldn't need new control arms to adjust the pinion angle but that's about the only good thing I see. Its biggest problem is it just isn't built to handle 35" tires, especially that it is still running a Dana 35 axle. :)

jcoon10 04-20-2013 04:21 PM

"I'm also looking to get one setup well at a cheap price"

That sentence is an oxymoron!!

Only advice is - Don't rush into buying a jeep.

For both my TJs I started stock. That way I could do the stuff I wanted to it. Also I was leery of buying a fully modded rig as u never know how hard its been ridden.

And I agree with the other posters. Stay away from that modded jeep u posted. I wouldn't pay $4k for it. 160 miles is a ton especially cause a lot of those miles could b on those aftermarket parts

Good luck

P.s - go with full doors. U can tint the glass windows and the ride is soooo much quieter.

Franciscoapg 04-22-2013 04:26 PM

Guys I appreciate your help, I will probably get hell for this but I couldn't resist as no other Jeeps were coming up in my area so I bit on the modded jeep. At this point I don't mind putting money into it so I would like to know your advice on fixing it is. I will be upgrading the brakes on it and the brake lines will get done in the process. I eventually want to do a ford 8.8 swap but only once I am ready to progress to actual offroading instead of a little mud here and there. I'm surprised though because my fool of a friend actually passed me doing 90mph on the highway as we were driving back from the purchase so it appears it has been re-geared on the weak stock axle.

Is the currie steering system at $500 bucks a worthy upgrade? I have what seems to be bump steer. And I question whether that coupled with trading the drop pitman arm for a stock one would fix the issue as long as the track bar will remain good in relation to the drag link. I made a new thread and would appreciate your advice here please.