Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Safari top or soft top with no windows for summer? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/safari-top-or-soft-top-with-no-windows-for-summer-236285.html)

DCTJ 04-19-2013 09:38 AM

Safari top or soft top with no windows for summer?

During the summer I generally always either run with the soft top down or with the windows off. I never put the windows back on until about October. This is my after work and weekend toy that I do a lot of surf fishing with and such and was thinking I should just get a safari top and take the soft top off for the summer. I like the look and it seems like it might be an easier solution that could allow more space in the back for when the top is off. I'm just wondering if this makes sense and the benefits/negatives. I would get a trail cover if I go the safari route. Is it much better than just keeping the windows off? Looking at the Bestop Safari.

Input and opinions are appreciated. Thanks!

rednickTJ 04-19-2013 09:48 AM

Just get a rampage Bowles top cause it looks just like a safari top with the windows off but doubles as a full soft top for whenever you need it

Wattapunk 04-19-2013 09:50 AM

I like the openess of the safari vs .ST up/no windows. Sometimes the the rear pillars of the ST tends to bow out with wind drag with the ST up/no windows. Besides, the less unzipping/zipping of the rear window, the better. That window tends to be the first to go, which usually renders the rest of the top almost worthless.

ALthough the Rampage frameless is nice, I wouldn't splurge for it if my ST is still in good working order. I found my Bestop safari w/header on CL for $40.

inunneley 04-19-2013 10:16 AM

I have the bestop safari top, it is nice when I can use it. I live in Florida though, so summers for me usually have rain storms every other day in the afternoon. If I didn't have to deal with the rain, I'd run it all the time. But it's easier for me to adjust to the weather if I go topless and putting on the hardtop, rather than having to remove the safari top, then put back on the hardtop.

Wattapunk 04-19-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by inunneley (Post 3656261)
I have the bestop safari top, it is nice when I can use it. I live in Florida though, so summers for me usually have rain storms every other day in the afternoon. If I didn't have to deal with the rain, I'd run it all the time. But it's easier for me to adjust to the weather if I go topless and putting on the hardtop, rather than having to remove the safari top, then put back on the hardtop.

I know the feeling. Got so sick of it that I pulled the carpet,monstalined the tub, pulled the drain plugs, and now run safari/CRES combo year round. Bring on the rain!

Herviss 04-19-2013 10:27 AM

Safari top is cool, but you can't mind getting a little wet in the rain. I already had a day where the rain was so bad that it seemed to be coming in everywhere. Just got a little wet thou. I also enjoy taking the windows out of my softtop, but I want it to last so, I am giving it a rest for the summer.

Drk5ide 04-19-2013 10:54 AM

I will be getting the Rampage trail top so I can have the best of both worlds.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wattapunk (Post 3656279)
I know the feeling. Got so sick of it that I pulled the carpet,monstalined the tub, pulled the drain plugs, and now run safari/CRES combo year round. Bring on the rain!

How do you like the Monsaline? and how long did you wait to put everything back and start driving it again?

rednickTJ 04-19-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drk5ide (Post 3656351)
I will be getting the Rampage trail top so I can have the best of both worlds.

How do you like the Monsaline? and how long did you wait to put everything back and start driving it again?

Smart man haha