Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Towing with the my Jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/towing-with-the-my-jeep-236335.html)

Donna111 04-19-2013 02:49 PM

Towing with the my Jeep

I have a 4 door Unlimited X 4x4 and am looking to purchase a travel trailer. The trailer weighs in at 2440 pounds, approximately 1000 pounds under my max. It stands about two feet taller than my Jeep and is a little bit wider on each side probably by a few inches. Is there anything I should worry about when throwing something of this size? Do I need to worry about my transmission overheating? Is the fact that it's taller than my Jeep going to be causing more pull meaning more work for my Jeep because of the wind resistance? For right now my max travel plans will probably be about 300-500 miles one way but one day I really would like to explore a lot further.
Thanks
Donna

Y-Guy 04-19-2013 05:09 PM

Jeep set a maximum 32 sq ft frontal area limitation, many travel trailers have a frontal area of more like 60 sq ft. The wind resistance due to the frontal area will be noticeable, can your Jeep do it? Yeah, but very well may cause premature wear on the parts and your mileage will tank. One thing I know from RVing for a while now is that weights of units are rarely accurate from the manufacturer, the other thing is the food, supplies, water and all that add up very fast. You will need trailer brakes and you may want to look into larger breaks for your Jeep. Without knowing the trailer you are looking at it's speculation.

Donna111 04-19-2013 08:20 PM

Thank you so much, you saved me. Frontal Area never crossed my mind. As I went through the manual all I was worried about was max tow and tongue weight.
Turns out the trailer I was looking at has a frontal area of 63 square feet. Pretty much double.
Thanks again!!!

Y-Guy 04-19-2013 11:31 PM

There are some that are a bit more aerodynamic that you might look at. Obviously beyond the frontal area, you really need to watch the weight. It's one thing to tow over capacity for a short distance but if you're going 500 miles that's a lot of stress on the transmission and engine.

You might consider some pop up's or
Casita Travel Trailers - America's Favorite Lightweight Travel Trailers | Lightweight, Aerodynamic, Durable, Easy-to-Tow, High-Fuel Efficiency
Scamp Travel Trailers: Small Lightweight Campers, Easily Towable
LivinLite All Aluminum Ultra Light Campers, Ultralight Campers, Lightweight Campers, Ultra-Lightweight Campers
SylvanSport GO | Lightweight, Small Pop Up Campers - Camping Trailer

JeeperJake 04-19-2013 11:44 PM

take a look at these:

THE TIN INN

"The Tin Inn" vintage small travel trailers.

There's an outfit in the midwest (Indiana?) that has modern 1/2-3/4 size small ones too that are very appealing for my JK.

Donna111 04-20-2013 12:45 AM

Thanks for all the options, I will definitely be checking them all out.

okcscott 04-20-2013 01:01 AM

Have a 17' Casita but haven't towed it with JKU, need to get the elec brakes hookup on the jeep. Had been towing it with a K2500 chev but I think the Jeep will work fine
Might check here
3,500 Tow Limit. What Do You Tow? - The Casita Club Forum - The Casita Club Forums

Chewtoy 04-20-2013 07:12 AM

Jeeper Jake. Those are funky retro trailers. Thanks for posting the link!

Michel347 05-01-2013 08:37 AM

Towing a small Boler with my 2 dr, hardly notice that it's behind. The Scamp is the modern version of this antiquity.

http://imageshack.us/a/img339/3346/jeepboler.jpg

mdfinest 05-04-2013 08:23 AM

I will be traveling out of town at the end of the month and looking to pulling a 6x12 enclosed trailer with 2 motorcycles. Would that be too much for the wrangler?

jkjeeper06 05-04-2013 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mdfinest (Post 3718042)
I will be traveling out of town at the end of the month and looking to pulling a 6x12 enclosed trailer with 2 motorcycles. Would that be too much for the wrangler?

I'd say probably not too much but then again idk the weight of each of those. I'm imagining not the huge cruiser bikes with trunks and stereos? If you are renting the trailer try to rent a shorter one to cut Down on drag and it'll ride better. All rentals have trailer brakes so that will also make it feel more stable

jkjeeper06 05-04-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michel347 (Post 3705200)
Towing a small Boler with my 2 dr, hardly notice that it's behind. The Scamp is the modern version of this antiquity.

That's new? I just thought it was a restored retro trailer. It looks great and looks pretty cool. Of I were to trailer camp I'd definitely go retro-style

Michel347 05-06-2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 (Post 3718063)
That's new? I just thought it was a restored retro trailer. It looks great and looks pretty cool. Of I were to trailer camp I'd definitely go retro-style

Oh no, the one I have is not new, it's a 1973, got it in 98 from the parents of my wife who were the original owners. We repainted it in 99, I've restored the interior and 3 years ago changed the axle and raised it by 6 inches.

http://imageshack.us/a/img705/263/pict0107w.jpg