Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Finished install of Trek Top NX (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/finished-install-of-trek-top-nx-236372.html)

greech 04-19-2013 04:35 PM

Finished install of Trek Top NX
 
Put my Trek Top NX on last weekend sans side and rear windows. Then I threw on a duster and ran like that for the week. Tonight I took off the duster and put on the back and sides of the NX. Damn, that rear window/tailgate bar was TIGHT! I don't think the tailgate bar is fully in the clips. I'll run like this for a week or two and hopefully, it will all stretch out a bit.:thumb:

Mango-Jeepin 04-19-2013 04:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greech (Post 3657523)
Put my Trek Top NX on last weekend sans side and rear windows. Then I threw on a duster and ran like that for the week. Tonight I took off the duster and put on the back and sides of the NX. Damn, that rear window/tailgate bar was TIGHT! I don't think the tailgate bar is fully in the clips. I'll run like this for a week or two and hopefully, it will all stretch out a bit.:thumb:

So jealous! :D Mine is still in the box waiting for a nice day and time off from work to get it on. Post a pic! Must look awesome on your JKU.

greech 04-19-2013 05:03 PM

I will..at dinner now, hoping it will rain so I can look for leaks. Install was super easy, I did it by myself in about 2 hours (wife "supervised"....) there is a Bestop Youtube video that is MUCH better than the instructions in the box....

greech 04-19-2013 08:12 PM

Couple of quick photos....I have to say, I really, really like the look of this top!

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...99242411_o.jpg

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...09903458_o.jpg

J33P4X4 04-19-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango-Jeepin (Post 3657550)

So jealous! :D Mine is still in the box waiting for a nice day and time off from work to get it on. Post a pic! Must look awesome on your JKU.

X2 waiting to put mine on my JKS.. Come on on Michigan weather.. Think its going to snow this weekend

kEat 04-20-2013 04:27 AM

I recommend installing it on/near the surface of the sun or in the vent of an active volcano.

Mango-Jeepin 04-20-2013 06:48 AM

Looks AWESOME! I've been hoping for a sunny day to be able to put it out in the sun for a bit before attempting to put it on. Now I'm even more motivated!

(Might have to wait for... August in Maine :rofl:! Gets a bit warmer here for us flatlanders)

kEat 04-20-2013 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango-Jeepin (Post 3659683)
Looks AWESOME! I've been hoping for a sunny day to be able to put it out in the sun for a bit before attempting to put it on. Now I'm even more motivated!

(Might have to wait for... August in Maine :rofl:! Gets a bit warmer here for us flatlanders)

Speaking as a fellow Mainer, I'd say let this thing bake in the sun on a blacktop in the hottest day we get this summer before attempting it. I put mine on in my buddies 80 degree garage about a month and a half ago and it took three of us to get it to stretch enough to fit, and it still didn't fit correctly (one of the windows wouldn't stretch enough to stay fully seated in the door surround).

THEN I made the foolish mistake of taking the windows off on our first 50 degree day on Easter I think. Yep, needless to say she wasn't going back on. Now it sits in my basement awaiting either enough heat to get me motivated to do it, or someone to say they wanna buy it.

oruacat2 04-25-2013 05:08 PM

greech - I ran the TrekTop NX on my JKU, and the tailgate bar they provided is terrible. I had problems locking the back of that top down and in-place too, and while it did stretch somewhat, it never stretched enough. Finally I bought an OEM tailgate bar and life got much easier. Never had any leaks, so that was good, but man, getting that thing back on was a bear.

nybigdog 04-25-2013 05:33 PM

Agreed, new install...wow thats tight. Just re-installed from running hardtop during white season..not really that bad...give it time my friend it will stretch..

Ali032373 04-25-2013 05:49 PM

I have the Supertop NX twill. Weather wasn't cooperating so I gave it a light going over with a heat gun. Helped to loosen it up.

greech 04-25-2013 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oruacat2 (Post 3682585)
..... I had problems locking the back of that top down and in-place too, and while it did stretch somewhat, it never stretched enough. Finally I bought an OEM tailgate bar and life got much easier...

Thanks man, I thought about that and wondered if a different tailgate bar would help. I finally got the damned thing installed and let it sit for a week...when I had to get into the back, it was ALOT easier to get back in place. Might pick up an OEM tailgate bar sometime anyways.....

Ptrowski 04-25-2013 07:35 PM

Really sweet! Saw one on a Modern Warfare one last weekend, looked very cool.

Mango-Jeepin 05-09-2013 10:36 AM

OMG what a process... Hubby got it on for me but 2 pieces broke in the process and there is a hole in it so the fact that it rained yesterday wasn't so good. Quadratec came through for me with a new top getting here ASAP since I only have the hubby until this weekend and then he is gone for the summer. Looks awesome! But not happy with the stress breaks in it.

J33P4X4 05-09-2013 12:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mango-Jeepin (Post 3737187)
OMG what a process... Hubby got it on for me but 2 pieces broke in the process and there is a hole in it so the fact that it rained yesterday wasn't so good. Quadratec came through for me with a new top getting here ASAP since I only have the hubby until this weekend and then he is gone for the summer. Looks awesome! But not happy with the stress breaks in it.

I installed mine a few weeks ago and it took a nice warm day before I could zip it al the way up :) I have since taken it off an on 3 times and it gets a little easier each day. And it looks sweet!



Attachment 247048



Attachment 247049

willbillyox 05-09-2013 04:28 PM

THe header in Mine cracked at the clip the second time I colsed the sunrider. I am getting a replacement this weekend, but has anyone else had this issue?

J33P4X4 05-09-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willbillyox (Post 3738241)
THe header in Mine cracked at the clip the second time I colsed the sunrider. I am getting a replacement this weekend, but has anyone else had this issue?

Mine looks pretty solid. I've only had it clipped/unclipped like 10 times

Mango-Jeepin 05-10-2013 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willbillyox (Post 3738241)
THe header in Mine cracked at the clip the second time I colsed the sunrider. I am getting a replacement this weekend, but has anyone else had this issue?

Yes... that was the 2nd place that cracked for me. Replacement coming today as well.

msubrave 05-10-2013 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willbillyox (Post 3738241)
THe header in Mine cracked at the clip the second time I colsed the sunrider. I am getting a replacement this weekend, but has anyone else had this issue?

I installed mine yesterday and mine cracked there too. Calling today to see about a replacement.

Jeeps_and_Boats 05-10-2013 12:20 PM

Install was a process, and a big +1 on following the video, not the paper instructions.

Mine is getting progressively easier to latch and unlatch as time goes on.

I watched that vid a few times, but ended up slowly starting and pausing as I went through the install. I wish that one guy could liven up a bit... By the end of the video I was ready to strangle him. I think he took too many Xanax.

Mango-Jeepin 05-11-2013 05:44 AM

I got my replacement but now it's raining so I may have to take it somewhere to have it put on. I'm strong but not sure I'm THAT strong! and hubby is leaving Monday. I would return it and just get something easier if it wasn't for the fact that I just love how it looks. I just need to lift more weights ;)

10Anvil 05-11-2013 08:48 AM

What is the difference between this one:

Bestop 56823-35 - Bestop® Trektop NX in Black Diamond for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

and this one:

Bestop 56805-35 - Bestop® Trektop™ in Black Diamond for 07-13 Jeep® Wrangler Unlimited JK 4 Door - Quadratec

s.champ 05-11-2013 09:40 AM

Put my Trek Top NX on a couple of weeks ago. It is a bear but I let it sit outside in some sun and turned heater on and let it run while having a beer or two. One zipper at a time let it sit have another beer, etc... looks great on the JKU !! Love it so far

Das_Jeep 05-11-2013 10:18 AM

At first glance, the one difference that sticks out is how they fold back. The non NX one rolls back, whereas the NX version folds back like a sunrider.

zdale 05-11-2013 11:42 AM

Besttop instructions suck, Took two guys with tons of automotive experience, Youtube video on the laptop and 3 hours and lots of cussing to install supertop NX last night. The drivers side door surround broke at the slot where the first bow goes basically before we touched it. Terrible design, could have moved the slot down a inch and redesigned the bow just a hair and made it much more sturdy and less prone to break,This is definitely a weak spot.

The top itself is awesome. Love the cloth and overall, other than a few week areas the quality is top notch. Will see how it last the summer. After going up and down a few times.

Any Ideas on a good way to store the windows. I was thinking a old sheet and sleeve from a camp chair to roll them up and slide them in. Any one have a better idea.

Das_Jeep 05-11-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdale (Post 3744502)
Besttop instructions suck, Took two guys with tons of automotive experience, Youtube video on the laptop and 3 hours and lots of cussing to install supertop NX last night.

Only took my wife and I 2 hours....just sayin :rofl:

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdale (Post 3744502)
The drivers side door surround broke at the slot where the first bow goes basically before we touched it. Terrible design, could have moved the slot down a inch and redesigned the bow just a hair and made it much more sturdy and less prone to break,This is definitely a weak spot.

I heard some people had problems with that piece...you really need to put some force on that bow to get it in. I guess I got lucky by not breaking mine.

Quote:

Originally Posted by zdale (Post 3744502)
Any Ideas on a good way to store the windows. I was thinking a old sheet and sleeve from a camp chair to roll them up and slide them in. Any one have a better idea.

I have been trying to think of some storage solutions myself. I think the rear window can be rolled up (without sliding it off of the top) and somehow secured with straps...just waiting on a nice day to delve into that a bit more.

As far as the side windows, I was thinking of fabricating a pouch to hold the rolled up windows in and then somehow attach them to the tailgate bar so that when the gate is closed they would be sort of locked in place and not so easy to walk off with.

J33P4X4 05-11-2013 09:10 PM

I installed mine by myself in a couple of hours. I have a 2 door so I run with out the bow. I was thinking if just roiling my windows in beach towels and putting them in the back.

zdale 05-12-2013 01:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by das_jeep (Post 3744722)
only took my wife and i 2 hours....just sayin :rofl:

This was a full top with all the bows and whistles. Not a sunrider. Hardest part was figuring out the folding mechanism's and which bow in the rear was which and placement. The paper instructions do not show how they go together in relation to each other. Bad.

I heard some people had problems with that piece...you really need to put some force on that bow to get it in. I guess i got lucky by not breaking mine.


Took it to the shop next door to me that has a cnc machine shop and also does blow molding. Looked at the break and told me it was a molding problem the edges of the break feel soft and crumbly. Said the plastic mixture was poured wrong. Bet there is a whole run of them like this.


I have been trying to think of some storage solutions myself. I think the rear window can be rolled up (without sliding it off of the top) and somehow secured with straps...just waiting on a nice day to delve into that a bit more.

Rear window rolls up and slides into little bungees that clip to the back bow on mine. Easy.

I think i can roll the side windows up and slide them into a old camp chair bag and hang in the same place right underneath. Tailgate bar is a good place also. I just rolled my window up. Put the bar back into place and left the top in the first fold back position. Probably going to stay that way for awhile.

As far as the side windows, i was thinking of fabricating a pouch to hold the rolled up windows in and then somehow attach them to the tailgate bar so that when the gate is closed they would be sort of locked in place and not so easy to walk off with.

1

Mango-Jeepin 05-13-2013 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by s.champ (Post 3744208)
Put my Trek Top NX on a couple of weeks ago. It is a bear but I let it sit outside in some sun and turned heater on and let it run while having a beer or two. One zipper at a time let it sit have another beer, etc... looks great on the JKU !! Love it so far

:facepalm: I totally forgot the beer part... that would have worked so much better!!!

Timborva 05-15-2013 07:35 PM

Same here!
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by willbillyox (Post 3738241)
THe header in Mine cracked at the clip the second time I colsed the sunrider. I am getting a replacement this weekend, but has anyone else had this issue?


Just installed mine today and went on for a ride with the top back only to come home and realize the header was cracked right next to the passenger side clip (DANG IT!). The worst part is I'm heading to the beach in a few days so there's no way I'm getting a replacement in time. Hope it doesn't leak!:hide:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:28 PM.