Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Fender Flares (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/fender-flares-236392.html)

NZ-Freebird 04-19-2013 06:04 PM

Fender Flares
 
Any thoughts on who makes the best 7" Fender Flares? :confused:

Thought I could get away with 6" Bushwacker pocket style, but here in NZ the whole tire tread has to be covered.

03Ruth 04-19-2013 06:07 PM

Here you go...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0013RGQW0

miked12479 04-19-2013 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 03Ruth (Post 3657811)

x2 - had these on since 2007 and love them. Have had both 12.50 and 10.50 width tires with them and they covered them well!

zanewolfgang 04-19-2013 08:41 PM

X3 they fit and look OEM other than width obviously. I personally dont care so much of the look of wide flares but here in Wa they are pretty uptight about tires sticking out. I got pulled over more than a few times, no tickets though.

spencerlj 05-05-2013 09:37 PM

Did either of you have any problems with the install? I just ordered these and to be safe, ordered the mounting hardware as well. I had read a couple of places that sometimes the mounting hardware was difficult to remove, or missing and I just ordered to be safe.

thgr8alex 05-05-2013 10:25 PM

Just curious but does anyone know the reasoning behind why cops are uptight about tires sticking out in some states? Is it because it could fling rocks or debris or such?

PStov98TJ 05-05-2013 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3723520)
Just curious but does anyone know the reasoning behind why cops are uptight about tires sticking out in some states? Is it because it could fling rocks or debris or such?

That's exactly why. They can grab rocks and sling them at windshields and thrown mud and water all over the road and other cars.

thgr8alex 05-05-2013 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3723654)

That's exactly why. They can grab rocks and sling them at windshields and thrown mud and water all over the road and other cars.

Makes sense, luckily where i live 50% of the vehicles driven here are lifted jeeps and trucks so cops dont care about them sticking out or its not a law. Heck, 2 or 3 of the firefighters have lifted trucks with wide tires (stationed next door to police station) haha. Lucky for me i guess because i like the look of them sticking out

PStov98TJ 05-05-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3723665)

Makes sense, luckily where i live 50% of the vehicles driven here are lifted jeeps and trucks so cops dont care about them sticking out or its not a law. Heck, 2 or 3 of the firefighters have lifted trucks with wide tires (stationed next door to police station) haha. Lucky for me i guess because i like the look of them sticking out

Me too :D I don't think we have a law for it here in Mississippi either

thgr8alex 05-05-2013 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3723683)

Me too :D I don't think we have a law for it here in Mississippi either

Gotta love the south :D

PStov98TJ 05-05-2013 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3723688)

Gotta love the south :D

Damn right! And 1998 TJ's. Cause those are the best ;)

thgr8alex 05-05-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3723697)

Damn right! And 1998 TJ's. Cause those are the best ;)

You got that right!! My 98 will be with me until IM 98. :)

PStov98TJ 05-05-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3723700)

You got that right!! My 98 will be with me until IM 98. :)

I'm planning the same!

thgr8alex 05-05-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spencerlj (Post 3723346)
Did either of you have any problems with the install? I just ordered these and to be safe, ordered the mounting hardware as well. I had read a couple of places that sometimes the mounting hardware was difficult to remove, or missing and I just ordered to be safe.

Good idea! I took mine off to paint and trim... Took forever and messed up alot of them. I just used random bolts i had laying around in garage that fit haha. A bag of them meant to be used wouldve been nice. So i say that was a good idea for ya. If ya dont use em, keep em for when you take them off to paint later down the road if they fade. Might be nice if one starts actin up and you have a spare

spencerlj 05-06-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3723762)
Good idea! I took mine off to paint and trim... Took forever and messed up alot of them. I just used random bolts i had laying around in garage that fit aha. A bag of them meant to be used wouldve been nice. So i say that was a good idea for ya. If ya dont use em, keep em for when you take them off to paint later down the road if they fade. Might be nice if one starts actin up and you have a spare

Great and will do that. I am hoping to put those on this week and will report back what happens. The new Fender Flares I have to go on are the ones mentioned in the link above and will let you know how it goes. I am not one for trying to mismatch components so you provide the same feedback I have heard from others, that they either break them taking off the originals or find them missing or already broken.

thgr8alex 05-06-2013 11:42 PM

Good luck to ya sir! Shouldnt be too hard. Hope all goes well but whats a project without a few stumps in the road?? Haha keep us posted

00falcon 05-07-2013 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NZ-Freebird (Post 3657800)
Any thoughts on who makes the best 7" Fender Flares? :confused:

Thought I could get away with 6" Bushwacker pocket style, but here in NZ the whole tire tread has to be covered.

I installed some rubber flares from rubber mark.
I didn't want hard plastic flares that would crack if I brushed up against bank
I wanted something with some give in it.
Not the prettiest, but they are functional.

http://www.imgur.com/ne7Uhww.jpeg

spencerlj 05-07-2013 11:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 00falcon (Post 3728152)
I installed some rubber flares from rubber mark.
I didn't want hard plastic flares that would crack if I brushed up against bank
I wanted something with some give in it.
Not the prettiest, but they are functional.

How did they attach? Looks like you added them on to the stock flares or am I wrong? Flexibility is good certainly and I have been in a situation that was close but I did not rub so I don't know if the flexibility of the stock or replacement fenders is bad or not. I have heard others say they will crack or break, but I cannot personally say. I like your creativity and even if you tear these off, looks like it would be easy enough to replace. Where did you get these and how much were they?

spencerlj 05-07-2013 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3727758)
Good luck to ya sir! Shouldnt be too hard. Hope all goes well but whats a project without a few stumps in the road?? Haha keep us posted

Haha! You are so right. And if all this stuff was easy, wouldn't everyone do it!:dance:

00falcon 05-08-2013 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spencerlj (Post 3731917)

How did they attach? Looks like you added them on to the stock flares or am I wrong? Flexibility is good certainly and I have been in a situation that was close but I did not rub so I don't know if the flexibility of the stock or replacement fenders is bad or not. I have heard others say they will crack or break, but I cannot personally say. I like your creativity and even if you tear these off, looks like it would be easy enough to replace. Where did you get these and how much were they?

Yup... I had to trim the stock flares to fit my (large) 33s...
I have just bolted them on with about a dozen bolts per arch.

There is no give in the stock flares, but as my mud tires stick out nearly close to two inches, I can lean in to a bank safely.

That we about nz$40 a flare.
I got them from rubber mark here in Auckland, New Zealand... if that helps at all


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:23 AM.