Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   shackle lift (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/shackle-lift-236466.html)

zephoria 04-20-2013 12:36 AM

shackle lift

hi ya. I bought my jeep with run down 33" tires. they were fine for a while but since the jeep sat under a car port for about a year and a half the tires started to crack and show signs of sun damage. I ordered some new 33" tires and some new wheels with better back spacing. now the back tires rub on the flares and body. I think I just need an inch or so. I am low on cash but have a few extra dollars to throw at it. I have been looking at a few shackle lifts. any thoughts on this? if I put 1.75" shackles on it would I have to do anything to any other part of the jeep? brake lines, diff angle? anything? I can't afford anything beyond the shackle purchase because I have other repairs that seem more important to do this month... namely a brake job.

zephoria 04-20-2013 12:38 AM

I forgot to mention it came with a body lift, I think it is either 2.5 or 3 inches. might be wrong about the size. I can measure tomorrow. also, how long are the stock shackles, I don't want to order new shackles if I already have some on.

mcgyver1467 04-20-2013 01:24 AM

YJ shackles are 4" from hole to hole. If you go with a shackle lift, you will get 1" of lift for every 2" of shackle. In other words, you have 4" on it now. If you go to 6" you will raise it an inch. I wouldn't go any more than that.

SuperMidget 04-20-2013 11:37 AM

Trim... Its free!!!

NonRubicon 04-20-2013 01:43 PM

The taller the shackle, the more caster changes. Too much caster change will result in poor handling.

zephoria 04-20-2013 05:15 PM

so what if I add front shackles as well... I really don't want to trim just yet. I'm planning on doing an soa conversion next year and only need to do this in the interim.

Scott-CJ8 04-22-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zephoria (Post 3661502)
so what if I add front shackles as well... I really don't want to trim just yet. I'm planning on doing an soa conversion next year and only need to do this in the interim.

If this is just for the interim, just take the flares off untill you do the SPOA. If you add shackles, be advised, you will probably need new bolts, sleeves, and bushings as well, then the cost for a 'temporary' fix could be higher. Some kits come with all you need, others do not. Check ebay for some good deals.

zephoria 04-22-2013 10:05 AM

I took them off, when I got to the second one I noticed that the inside plastic... the part covering the tub... also has evidence of the tire rubbing. I can take pics after I get off work. I'm afraid that the plastic of the flare is protecting the tire from the metal and vice versa. I don't want my tub to be messed up and I just bought these tires so I really don't want them messed up.

zephoria 04-22-2013 10:08 AM

I forgot to mention that yesterday, when I came home from church, I noticed that my front shackles looked longer than the rear... they also look more like a set I found on quadratec and not at all like the ones on the rear. I will measure them when I get home from work this afternoon.

zephoria 04-22-2013 05:30 PM

2 Attachment(s)
ok. rear shackle is 4" bolt to bolt. front is about 6.5"... here are the pics... im guessing that the fronts are lift shackles.

Tyler92yj 04-22-2013 06:55 PM

the front is 1.25 inch lift so match thoes on the back

zephoria 04-22-2013 06:56 PM

sweet. thanks mate