Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Audio Idiot.... (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/audio-idiot-236507.html)

chris4x4 04-20-2013 09:48 AM

Audio Idiot....

....is a good title for my audio skillz. Ive searched, and cant seem to find the answers Im looking for....

First, I want to keep the stock system, but DO want to change out the tweeters. Im looking for a "drop In" pair, that requires little mods. Also.....HOW do you gain acess to the tweeters? Do you simply pull the cover off? Do I need to use Voodoo, or a Harry Potter stick? I would like a set that I can wire directly to the OEM wiring. Help? :redface:

chris4x4 04-23-2013 05:12 PM

bump?

woansleftpeg 04-23-2013 05:47 PM

They literally just pop out of the tombstones. Take a plastic panel popper, or a very small and thin screwdriver, and put it down the back of the tweeter unit. It will just pop out.

I'm not aware of a set that will fit into the holes that are left, though. You'll almost certainly be faced with the choice of either cutting the hole to be bigger to fit your replacements, or do like I did and fabricate wooden backing plates that mount inside the tombstones and to which you can affix a surface mounted tweeter.

I don't remember the wiring - I rewired the whole thing when I did my stereo - but it will either be spade connectors (standard fit for all speakers, one large and one small) or the Chrysler plug style, in which case you'll need an adapter (sold in pairs on all good websites, and many crap ones as well).

chris4x4 04-23-2013 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3674009)
They literally just pop out of the tombstones. Take a plastic panel popper, or a very small and thin screwdriver, and put it down the back of the tweeter unit. It will just pop out.

I'm not aware of a set that will fit into the holes that are left, though. You'll almost certainly be faced with the choice of either cutting the hole to be bigger to fit your replacements, or do like I did and fabricate wooden backing plates that mount inside the tombstones and to which you can affix a surface mounted tweeter.

I don't remember the wiring - I rewired the whole thing when I did my stereo - but it will either be spade connectors (standard fit for all speakers, one large and one small) or the Chrysler plug style, in which case you'll need an adapter (sold in pairs on all good websites, and many crap ones as well).

Thank you!! I have interior trim removal tools, so I can use those to pop the tweeter out. As for cutting the hole larger, Im game for that too. the tweeters Im considering are these:
Alpine SPS-110TW Type-S 1

Thoughts on those by anyone that knows audio gear?

woansleftpeg 04-23-2013 07:37 PM

I can't help you with that, but I'm curious as to why you'd replace the tweeters and not the woofers. Would it not make more sense to replace both at the same time with a component speaker set?

Jma20a 04-23-2013 07:38 PM

Take a measurement of the stock tweeters and compare them to the size of the ones you are looking to buy.

Barmanvarn 04-23-2013 07:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I used flush mounts that came with my tweeters. They're held onto the tombstones with butterfly bolts ( or whatever they're called).

Attachment 240200

chris4x4 04-23-2013 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3674476)
I can't help you with that, but I'm curious as to why you'd replace the tweeters and not the woofers. Would it not make more sense to replace both at the same time with a component speaker set?

the mids and lows seem to be acceptable to me, but the high frequencies are lacking. So...Im wanting to start with the tweeters first. If this brings to light that the whole system truely sucks, then I'll cross that brige later.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Barmanvarn (Post 3674502)
I used flush mounts that came with my tweeters. They're held onto the tombstones with butterfly bolts ( or whatever they're called).

Attachment 240200

Very nice!

JD95YJ 04-24-2013 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris4x4 (Post 3674209)
Thank you!! I have interior trim removal tools, so I can use those to pop the tweeter out. As for cutting the hole larger, Im game for that too. the tweeters Im considering are these:
Alpine SPS-110TW Type-S 1

Thoughts on those by anyone that knows audio gear?

The Alpine's will sound good. There will be a night and day difference from the factory, and if you ever want to add an aftermarket amp, you could tie the tweeters in as well.

chris4x4 04-24-2013 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JD95YJ (Post 3677621)
The Alpine's will sound good. There will be a night and day difference from the factory, and if you ever want to add an aftermarket amp, you could tie the tweeters in as well.

Thank you for the input!! :) All I have to do now, is get the time to order them, and install :o