Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   CO smog test.. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/co-smog-test-236551.html)

itsmillertime 04-20-2013 01:22 PM

CO smog test..

I currently live in Minnesota and I have a 1990 YJ that has been modified with a dodge 360. I know that there's a smog test I'll have to pass and I was curious if there's any tricks to pass it or a way around the test. Thanks!

itsmillertime 04-20-2013 01:36 PM

Also thought I'd add that its carbureted

03 sahara jeeper 04-20-2013 02:03 PM

No way around it. You have to have it to get plates.

cavejeep 04-20-2013 02:37 PM

Fresh gas and new spark plugs if you're really concerned. Its not super hard to pass if your rig is in decent running condition. My `91 XJ passes with room to spare (they'll give you a report with your results). You get 1 free re-test if you fail the first one, so just take it in and see what happens.

When you move here, you'll have no option but to take it to a center and let one of the monkeys over-rev it on the dyno. Best not to watch.

You only have to test every other year. So in two years, about 3-4 months before your registration is due for renewal, be sure to find and drive through the Rapid Screen stations several times to avoid having to go back to the monkey station.

Air Care Colorado :: RapidScreen

itsmillertime 04-20-2013 02:47 PM

Alright thanks a lot! I currently don't have any of that emission stuff on it so it'll all need to be put back

jasongind 04-20-2013 03:56 PM

If you fail the test twice you can pay $150 "fine" and it waves the emission and you can still get plates/tag/registration ;)

itsmillertime 04-20-2013 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasongind (Post 3661257)
If you fail the test twice you can pay $150 "fine" and it waves the emission and you can still get plates/tag/registration ;)

Wow really??

Gold Miner 04-20-2013 05:04 PM

Depends on where you'll be registering it in Colorado. If you're moving to Denver or other surrounding front range towns/cities it is required.
Emissions not required here in Grand County. I've never had to have an emissions test up here... not once in over 20yrs. I like that aspect of living up here.

JFjeld 04-20-2013 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmillertime (Post 3661424)
Wow really??

I just moved from IA and had to deal with this in January. I was really sweatin' it since I have 35s, which are supposedly too big for the dynos. But they actually measured about 34" and it just barely passed. My biggest issue was that my muffler ended in front of my axle and they couldn't attach their collector. So I had to pay about $60 to have a tailpipe built. Not too bad.

But between emissions testing, VIN verification, and plating 3 vehicles, January was an expensive month...

itsmillertime 04-20-2013 05:11 PM

I'm only running 31s so that shouldn't be a problem.. my jeep doesn't have catalytic converters at the moment so I'll get those before I get it tested.

Justin04Lj 04-20-2013 05:17 PM

No smog tests here in Colorado Springs. Just pay extra with registration

itsmillertime 04-20-2013 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin04Lj (Post 3661509)

So even if I'm living in the Denver area if I register it in Colorado springs then I don't have to do it?

Justin04Lj 04-20-2013 06:07 PM

I don't know the rules on that really.

jasongind 04-20-2013 06:10 PM

Here is some info on repair cost and waiver if you need it. This is straight off the air care colorado website...

"Repair Cost Limits

The limit is $75 for 1967 and older vehicles and $715 for 1968 and newer vehicles. Cost limits apply to all vehicles regardless of whether they failed the idle test or the I/M 240 test. However, these limits do not apply if the vehicle failed for visible smoke or missing emissions control equipment.
Waivers

You may be eligible for a waiver if you have reached the spending limit and your vehicle still won't pass the emissions test. Hardship waivers are also available. Call the Division of Motor Vehicles Emissions Office, 303-205-5603, to inquire about waivers."

Colo-TJ 04-20-2013 06:12 PM

agreed that whatever county it is being registered in is the requirement for that county. We didn't used to have it in Weld but they changed the law. now its required. if it's being registered in Denver it's required. if it's registered in say Grad county it is not required eve if traveling to a required county daily....it is where it's registered not driven to........

itsmillertime 04-20-2013 06:16 PM

Alright yeah that makes sense. I'm not entirely sure where we're gonna end up yet. I've heard that ethanol helps to pass.. is that true?

fireguy 04-20-2013 06:35 PM

Anyone who lives in and registers a motor vehicle in the counties of Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Denver City and County, Douglas and Jefferson counties need the Emission Test. I may be missing one but those are the main ones. El Paso, Elbert, Clear Creek and Park and Weld Counties border the metro Denver ones and those residents are exempt from the clean Air Program testing. I hope that helps you out. I was not aware of Weld being included in the program.

Full Spool 04-20-2013 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin04Lj (Post 3661509)

No paying extra out here in Calhoon :)

YJ325i 04-20-2013 06:47 PM

Does any one the rules on the motor swap? If they see its not the OE engine, could there be issues? btw, how hard was is to put that 360 in.

itsmillertime 04-20-2013 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireguy (Post 3661750)
Anyone who lives in and registers a motor vehicle in the counties of Adams, Arapahoe, Boulder, Denver City and County, Douglas and Jefferson counties need the Emission Test. I may be missing one but those are the main ones. El Paso, Elbert, Clear Creek and Park and Weld Counties border the metro Denver ones and those residents are exempt from the clean Air Program testing. I hope that helps you out. I was not aware of Weld being included in the program.

Thanks that helps a lot!

itsmillertime 04-20-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by YJ325i (Post 3661786)
Does any one the rules on the motor swap? If they see its not the OE engine, could there be issues? btw, how hard was is to put that 360 in.

It wasn't too difficult the engine bay on the YJ is big enough there wasn't a problem. I'm actually looking at putting a 318 into it eventually.

fireguy 04-21-2013 06:03 PM

Usually the engine swaps don't factor in. But a V8 may put out more emmissions than a 4.0 I6 or 4 cyl. That may come up, but a well tuned and runing V8 should be ok. They are strict on the exhaust mods as far as having a Catlyic Converter in place and working and also they may check on your fuel tank vent and vapor control lines to the emission canister that is tied into the intake system if the vehicle was equipped with those devices. Overall the requirements on the older vehicles are loose enough that a decent running vehicle will pass. I don't know how close into town you want to be but some of the emission exempt areas are only 30 to 45 minute commutes to the suburbs of the Denver Metro area. I live near Conifer in Park County ( emission exempt ) and my commute is 45 minutes to work. Same goes with Elbert and El Paso counties to the southeast and southern suburbs.

Tshields 04-21-2013 08:34 PM

This is off the web on engine swaps in Colorado:
Engine Swap Regulation

• Any engine replacement in the state is subject to a technical inspection. All emissions requirements applicable to the model year of the replacement engine must be met. Your replacement engine must be a fuel-injected type. It is illegal to install an engine in a vehicle if the replacement motor is older than the original. You may swap an engine that is the same year as the original or newer.

Emissions Testing Procedure

• Gasoline engines that are more than 3 model years old must pass an emissions test. The emissions test regulation only applies to vehicles registered in Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas, Jefferson, and sections of Adams, Arapahoe, El Pasohttp://images.intellitxt.com/ast/adTypes/icon1.png, Larimer and Weld counties. The state has remote inspection vehicles that you may drive by to receive an automatic test. Vehicles that do not pass the automatic inspection must be tested at a regular testing facility. Emissions inspections for engines from model year 1982 and newer are valid for two years. Vehicle inspections on automobiles built in 1981 or earlier are valid for one year. All new diesel engines are exempt from testing for four years or until the vehicle changes ownership. Certain types of older diesel engines require inspection annually, while others must be tested every two years.

Read more: Automotive Engine Swap Laws in Colorado | eHow.com Automotive Engine Swap Laws in Colorado | eHow.com

BreckenridgeYJ 04-22-2013 01:26 AM

I do not envy any of you... Not emissions testing in Breckenridge either (Summit County). Then again, I don't think I'd have any issues with it, but for new projects its nice not to have to!

CoreyZ 04-22-2013 09:38 AM

wtf.. serious? "It is illegal to install an engine in a vehicle if the replacement motor is older than the original"

Thats a damn joke! Another instance of bureaucrats that dont know jack about the info they are passing into laws.

itsmillertime 04-22-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tshields (Post 3665711)
This is off the web on engine swaps in Colorado:
Engine Swap Regulation

[*] Any engine replacement in the state is subject to a technical inspection. All emissions requirements applicable to the model year of the replacement engine must be met. Your replacement engine must be a fuel-injected type. It is illegal to install an engine in a vehicle if the replacement motor is older than the original. You may swap an engine that is the same year as the original or newer.

Emissions Testing Procedure

[*] Gasoline engines that are more than 3 model years old must pass an emissions test. The emissions test regulation only applies to vehicles registered in Boulder, Broomfield, Denver, Douglas, Jefferson, and sections of Adams, Arapahoe, El Paso, Larimer and Weld counties. The state has remote inspection vehicles that you may drive by to receive an automatic test. Vehicles that do not pass the automatic inspection must be tested at a regular testing facility. Emissions inspections for engines from model year 1982 and newer are valid for two years. Vehicle inspections on automobiles built in 1981 or earlier are valid for one year. All new diesel engines are exempt from testing for four years or until the vehicle changes ownership. Certain types of older diesel engines require inspection annually, while others must be tested every two years.

Read more: Automotive Engine Swap Laws in Colorado | eHow.com Automotive Engine Swap Laws in Colorado | eHow.com

Well that's gonna cause problems for me. Jeeps a 1990 and current engine is 74...

fireguy 04-22-2013 11:46 AM

wtf !! Not only do the bureaucrats screw with our gun laws the jerks start telling us what we can and cannot do with our vehicles. Thanks Tshields for the info and good work on your part. Looks like a bunch of Nazi's infiltrated our state govt. I generally try to pay attention to what is going on but I sure did not hear about these laws being passed.

Gold Miner 04-22-2013 12:06 PM

Geez, that's ridiculous.

Who the heck writes that kind of technicality into a law, not right... not right at all. Whomever wrote that into the law must have a chip against street rod builders? I don't get it. If it can pass emissions, who cares what year the engine is?
Now I wonder if that law applies to Emissions-Only vehicles... or all.

BrianTG 04-22-2013 12:18 PM

I feel like its a technicality that will never be enforced.

CoreyZ 04-22-2013 01:03 PM

Other option...

get a PO in WY and register it up there. Or find a friend in another state/county that doesnt have emissions and just use their address.