Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Bolt dropped in A pillar (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/bolt-dropped-in-a-pillar-236902.html)

heitao4q 04-22-2013 01:45 AM

Hi Guys,

First time Jeep wrangler owner.

Today I was trying to install a A pillar handle bar on my new 2013 Jeep Wrangler. But a bolt dropped into A pillar when I tried to loose it to install the handle.

I touched into the hole and felt some cables inside.

Does it harm the electric system?

Thanks,

Q

m998dna 04-22-2013 02:30 AM

May sound like a stupid question, what's a bot?

:confused:

GuruYaekob 04-22-2013 02:33 AM

I think he means bolt?

And no it wont harm anything

heitao4q 04-22-2013 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuruYaekob (Post 3666816)
I think he means bolt?

And no it wont harm anything

Typo, bolt. :whistling:

kEat 04-22-2013 05:09 AM

Is the A pillar the one near the windshield, or the one behind the door/near the seatbacks? Because I dropped a bolt down the one near the seatbacks while installing my soft top and thought all was lost, until I realized that the plastic panel at the bottom pulls up extremely easy and it turns out there was virtually nowhere for the bolt to go except hit the floor.

EDIT: Since you're installing a handle bar I imagine you're talking near the windshield... Yeah I'm pretty sure that place is a black hole.

NWJeeper89 04-22-2013 06:30 AM

get a magnet and a cable feed or some sort of sturdy flexible rod and tape a maget to the end of it and fish it out that way if you're really worried about it

RoadiJeff 04-22-2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWJeeper89 (Post 3667122)
get a magnet and a cable feed or some sort of sturdy flexible rod and tape a maget to the end of it and fish it out that way if you're really worried about it

Wouldn't a magnet just end up sticking to the metal frame?

m998dna 04-22-2013 08:53 AM

Yeah, I would want to fish it out, it could lead to a source for a pesky rattle.

One of these might work...

I have item D ... Its the longest and works the best. It says its discontinued on this site, but I went down to this place and they had them hanging on the wall in their inventory.

Magnetic Pickup Tools

heitao4q 04-22-2013 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kEat (Post 3667041)
Is the A pillar the one near the windshield, or the one behind the door/near the seatbacks? Because I dropped a bolt down the one near the seatbacks while installing my soft top and thought all was lost, until I realized that the plastic panel at the bottom pulls up extremely easy and it turns out there was virtually nowhere for the bolt to go except hit the floor.

EDIT: Since you're installing a handle bar I imagine you're talking near the windshield... Yeah I'm pretty sure that place is a black hole.

Yes, near the windshield.

heitao4q 04-22-2013 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m998dna (Post 3667461)
Yeah, I would want to fish it out, it could lead to a source for a pesky rattle.

I have item D ... Its the longest and works the best. It says its discontinued on this site, but I went down to this place and they had them hanging on the wall in their inventory.

Magnetic Pickup Tools

I drove my jeep after the bolt in pillar. No significant noise. Since there are cables in it, I worry about the electric problem because it is a piece of metal.

heitao4q 04-22-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by m998dna (Post 3667461)

Magnetic Pickup Tools

Wola! I've never thought there are such tools! Thanks!

heitao4q 04-22-2013 12:58 PM

Thanks guys for your help!

HK_Runner 04-22-2013 01:21 PM

I did just that, while installing my Synergy handles- on only one side, thankfully. Fortunately, when I took off the lower trim piece, I saw it was sitting in a little nook. I carefully fished it out by hand. Have you taken on the lower trim piece already, and it's well below that? That magnetic pickup tool is your best best for an easy method.