Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Communications and Electronics (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/)
-   -   Anyone listen to loud rap/hiphop? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f40/anyone-listen-to-loud-rap-hiphop-236932.html)

MrPiff 04-22-2013 08:03 AM

Anyone listen to loud rap/hiphop?

I know this is a jeep wrangler forum, but I'm sure there are a few here that listen to my music lol. I'm asking because I am looking to upgrade the stock audio in my 10A.

Honestly the stock audio isn't half bad, but I want real deal loud clean sound with heavy hard hitting bass.

I have the dual top but will usually be riding with the soft top. I have a pretty steep budget for the audio upgrade so I'm fairly confident I can get some kickass sound. My budget is $3000 including labor as I'm not really an expert in this stuff. Now that number is a ceiling and I'd be happy to spend less if it will sound just as good, but I'm willing to spend that amount.

On a sidenote I would like to keep the 730N. Would that be a pain in the ass or a non-issue. And if it is a pain, how much can you sell one those for pretty much brand new?

Thanks in advance for and help or advice.

Jma20a 04-22-2013 12:44 PM

Start with a new headunit and build from their. Pioneer, alpine and kenwood put out good units. As for speakers the best way to go is with a set of components and an amp to power them. I like the infinity kappa perfect components. They dont put out much bass but that is what the sub is for. How much room do you have for the sub(s)?

Jerry Bransford 04-23-2013 02:01 PM

Playing loud music is a guaranteed case of Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) when you get older. I'm a former musician who liked loud music too much & I'm paying big-time for it now.

panthermark 04-23-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3673215)
Playing loud music is a guaranteed case of Tinnitus (ringing in the ears) when you get older. I'm a former musician who liked loud music too much & I'm paying big-time for it now.

^This...

Start playing drums (trap set, traditional grip) in 3rd grade. Loved loud music and all thing electronics.

Love my motorcycle.

I'm 38....and two months ago it started. Non-stop ringing in my left ear.

Oddly enough....I had swapped speakers in the Jeep and had been playing it pretty loudly since I picked it up in November.

OhSixTJ 04-23-2013 04:09 PM

30 here, tinnitus since 24. Guns, music, and motorcycles. I still shoot, play it loud, and ride them hard :)

RevCo666 04-23-2013 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3673215)

X2 been dealing with tinnitus since i was 18, im 38. :( and wearing hearing aids for the last 15 years now.

st1264 04-23-2013 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrPiff (Post 3667486)
I know this is a jeep wrangler forum, but I'm sure there are a few here that listen to my music lol. I'm asking because I am looking to upgrade the stock audio in my 10A.

Honestly the stock audio isn't half bad, but I want real deal loud clean sound with heavy hard hitting bass.

I have the dual top but will usually be riding with the soft top. I have a pretty steep budget for the audio upgrade so I'm fairly confident I can get some kickass sound. My budget is $3000 including labor as I'm not really an expert in this stuff. Now that number is a ceiling and I'd be happy to spend less if it will sound just as good, but I'm willing to spend that amount.

On a sidenote I would like to keep the 730N. Would that be a pain in the ass or a non-issue. And if it is a pain, how much can you sell one those for pretty much brand new?

Thanks in advance for and help or advice.

Stock equipment is junk. You'll need to strip everything. Run a nice HU of your choice with Nav if wanted, components in the front with tweets (crossed over properly), coaxials or better in the rear. Have these 4 amped with about 75x4, high current. Then if you want that gangsta bass, you'll need the space. Will need at least a 500x1 high current amp and run at least 2 10's or better in a box. This will be great for inside your Jeep (not crazy loud outside). Running 1 sub in your stock location won't do it for you. I always opted for 2 subs as 2 is always louder than 1.

If you want a crazy loud system (to be heard down the block so your homies will follow you and steal all your sh!t), go up to about 100x4 in the main speakers and at least 1000 for the subs. If you run anything like this I'd make sure to have the hardtop on when parked or stored.

I've gone to concerts, listened to loud music and shot guns all my life... not deaf yet. Everyone has hearing loss when they get older but I do like a system that will play loud and not distort. With the bass response you want, you'll lose some storage space. Good luck with your system.

Jerry Bransford 04-24-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3674158)
I've gone to concerts, listened to loud music and shot guns all my life... not deaf yet.

How old are you?

st1264 04-24-2013 03:41 PM

41. Wondering what this has to do with this thread. If you, I, others and the OP choose to listen to loud music, go right ahead. My grandfather needs 2 hearing aids due to farm machinery and never listened to loud music.

I'm sure driving with the top down and hearing the semi's air brakes next to you or sirens from emergency vehicles is also not that good for your hearing. Do you wear earplugs when you mow the lawn? You are supposed to.

How about staying on topic here.

I listen to rock/metal/punk. No horrible hip hop/rap for me. I know people who have the "3 block away" stereo system and that's something I never wanted. I had 800 watts in my old Jeep and it foot the bill. I only turned it up when I wanted to... hence, I'm not deaf.

michiganadam 04-24-2013 05:39 PM

Even driving with windows down damages hearing.

Its all subjective. You can also touch boiling water with no longterm damage. Leave it in contact and itll cook you though...

Please god set up your system to play high notes loud too. Im sick of these fools with stock systems and 15s.

Where do you guys mount your amps?

Jma20a 04-24-2013 08:12 PM

I took out my back seat for better storage and left room for my subs and built a rack for the amps. I was running 2 12" subs 1500watt rms each and had an amp with the remote gain control, that way i could keep it down when not on the highway. And turn it up all the way on the highway so i could still feel the bass with the top down and doors off.

tyler31098 04-25-2013 04:43 PM

go to sonicelectronix.com some great deals and amazing equipment

MrPiff 04-26-2013 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jma20a (Post 3679063)
I took out my back seat for better storage and left room for my subs and built a rack for the amps. I was running 2 12" subs 1500watt rms each and had an amp with the remote gain control, that way i could keep it down when not on the highway. And turn it up all the way on the highway so i could still feel the bass with the top down and doors off.

How much did all of that run you?

nectoxicdragon 04-26-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by st1264 (Post 3677904)
41. Wondering what this has to do with this thread. If you, I, others and the OP choose to listen to loud music, go right ahead. My grandfather needs 2 hearing aids due to farm machinery and never listened to loud music.

I'm sure driving with the top down and hearing the semi's air brakes next to you or sirens from emergency vehicles is also not that good for your hearing. Do you wear earplugs when you mow the lawn? You are supposed to.

How about staying on topic here.

I listen to rock/metal/punk. No horrible hip hop/rap for me. I know people who have the "3 block away" stereo system and that's something I never wanted. I had 800 watts in my old Jeep and it foot the bill. I only turned it up when I wanted to... hence, I'm not deaf.

You are just as far off topic as everyone else so what's your point?

Some people point fingers without looking in a mirror first...
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Wattage has nothing to do with loud. Far from it. The Sound pressure associated with volume has more to deal with the sound frequency you are listening to. Low frequencies carry far more power than the high frequencies do. This is why the high power units sound better. they impart more power across the sound spectrum for a given listening level, with the audio equalized, when feeding properly designed speakers. The first point to look at in any sound system is the transducer, in recording it's the mics, in playback it's the speakers. Forget about the head unit until you have the speakers in place. this is where your money needs to go if you are looking for good sound. Using the TJ as an example, Chrysler put a nice basic stereo in with garbage for speakers. right from the factory if you turn up the volume the speakers rattle. the dash speakers are the worst and cant reproduce ANY bass or treble replace them with poly cone coaxials bare minimum, and use them as nothing more than fill in sound. the soundbar can benefit from real speakers sky is the limit. Add a second sound bar in the back and a high power fader between the two soundbars and you are getting somewhere, BUT an amp that has controls to adjust between these four speakers will take care of that if you are just power hungry. Myself, being a concert goer and hard rocker in my youth, when we had REAL rock also suffer from diminished hearing and ringing ears, and demand the ability to finetune every aspect of my sound system. throwing wattage at everything isn't the answer. Properly built, you can mount your subs into the tailgate, and deaden any rattling without losing the feel of the bass. Done this way minimal space is lost and the speakers are kept out of harms way. now you can sit down and choose your head unit. from a simple head to control discrete amps to a single integrated unit, choices are massive. but the bottom line is always the same... SPEAKERS FIRST. and make sure they will handle the power you intend to put in, because unless they will reproduce the correct sound, no matter how good the head is you wont hear what the music is supposed to sound like.
We used to have High fidelity then came stereo. but somewhere since they forgot that HI FI gave us what the music really sounded like... digital records it exactly like it's played, plays it back the same way, but we are still at the mercy of speakers, so lets set them up like we did when we had Hi Fi's oh and one other thing, on the sound bars, put fiberglass batting behind the speakers, same thing with your subs, it makes the enclosures acoustically "dead" and act much bigger, so they sound much better.

st1264 04-26-2013 04:31 PM

Guys who like hip hop need huge amps and subs with high spl. Don't think he's going to accomplish that with a small enclosure on his tailgate. Also may need to upgrade the Jeep's electrical/charging system. Bass driven music needs a lot of clean juice, whether another poster thinks or not.

I was running 500 high current wattage into 2 efficient subs with high spl and that wouldn't nearly be enough for an open air situation. I suggest the OP look into the Orion Competition subs and make sure they get a ton of power. The full range speakers should also be matched, to not have the bass drown out the high/mids. Proper crossovers, sound deadening material is crucial.

With the OP's budget of $3000, he can have a sick system in there to wake up the neighborhood, professionally installed. Good luck.

michiganadam 04-26-2013 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jma20a (Post 3679063)

You can get a headunit with the amp gain in it for cheaper than doing it on the amp side sometimes. Works just like the fade and looks cleaner if you ask Me.

Your post also proves how your door off driving damages your hearing. Haha. ;)

AllBlackEJK 04-29-2013 10:21 AM

I kept my stock 730n and did a full aftermarket upgrade. I only was able to achieve good sound after adding a processor (Audison Bit One). I used a PAC adapter to get me 4ch RCA outputs from the HU nice and clean, no factory wire cutting involved. I made several attempts w/ different equipment to get it to sound good before i bought the processor but was disappointed every time. No matter what I did the sound still had the same characteristic of the factory system. I listen to a lot of rap and love the way my system sounds now w/ only a single 8W3v3 subwoofer.

Jma20a 04-29-2013 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michiganadam (Post 3686981)
You can get a headunit with the amp gain in it for cheaper than doing it on the amp side sometimes. Works just like the fade and looks cleaner if you ask Me.

Your post also proves how your door off driving damages your hearing. Haha. ;)

Are you talking about having an adjustment to raise or lower the level just like the mids and highs? Cause thats not a gain control.

And the gain is not a volume control. The gain is what regulates how much power passes from the main power source(battery) to the speaker outputs.

Jerry Bransford 04-29-2013 01:34 PM

I dunno but in all my engineering, electronics, audio, & RF schools attended, no one would disagreed that such controls can also correctly be called gain controls. Heck my HF ham radio doesn't have a Volume control but it does have AF Gain & RF Gain controls. If someone were to ask me what the AF Gain control was, I would tell them it's the volume control.

PiePuncher 04-30-2013 01:10 PM

As others stated, rip out the factory system and start w a good head unit and work from there. In a jeep, u only need one sub and a good class D amp, not a ghetto Pyle or boss amp but maybe a Rockford, JL audio or Alpine amp. I am running a jl audio and alpine amp and a jl w3 sub. My system screams and can be heard from blocks away. Sub should b downward firing. I actually have two subs but usually just use the 10w3. I also have an mtx sub but it doesn't get much play. The subs fit behind my seat and I have a tonneau cover to hide the goods.
The jl audio equipment is expensive but will wake your system up. Stay away from the cheap under rated amps....boss, Pyle, Kenwood,any other crap. A class d amp will b efficient and small.

PiePuncher 04-30-2013 02:33 PM

1500 watts rms each.... Some kicker cvx or something... Why not just by a quality set of subs that run 300-600 watts rms. Two 13w3's will consume half the power you state, will sound better and be louder than your inefficient 3000 watt rms 12 inch subs. I'm talking real wattage, not fake kenwood wattage. Kenwood makes good head units/receivers but not the best amps.
Some people just want boom, I want quality boom w excellent mids and highs. I run separates up front, a three way in soundbar and have amps powering all speakers. The amp for the small speakers is under dash, the mono block class d amp is mounted under back seat. I drilled holes in floor board to mount and used Allen keys to help prevent theft.