Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Replacemet Sports Bar Pad/Covers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/replacemet-sports-bar-pad-covers-236983.html)

SpoiledRotten 04-22-2013 12:31 PM

Replacemet Sports Bar Pad/Covers
 
I have the 2000 Wrangler Sahara with the Denim Spice SB covers. Yesterday, I decided to take them off and paint them black to go with my Black/Red theme. I've only got the console and the inner doors that are still tan color. Well of course, the zippers broke on a couple of them. Now, I'm shopping for replacements. I'm just not sure about the new, non-denim styles. I see the Best Top brand, but they don't have the two covers that go over the driver and passenger sides just behind the door surrounds.

Have you purchased some lately and if so, would you post the brand, and an opinion on the looks and quality of the ones you bought? I don't like to trust the reviews on the product pages as many will be false.

Thanks in advance.

SpoiledRotten 04-23-2013 08:22 AM

2 Attachment(s)
This is the before and after painting the covers. Still need to know if anyone has had the new ones from 4wd suppliers.

Attachment 240001

Attachment 240002

SpoiledRotten 04-23-2013 10:55 AM

I thought there would be someone on this forum that had ordered some, but I guess not. I went on an ordered the Bestop black denim so hopefully, they will be as good as the original. Thanks anyway.

thgr8alex 04-23-2013 02:48 PM

I was about to buy some but i painted them with a vinyl/fabric paint and they look like new and saved a bunch of money!

And do you have a diamond plate peice over your trunk?? Or am i seeing things. I cant zoom in but if im seeing that right, ive been looking for one to cover my trunk. Did you make that or buy it? Sorry to hijack.

timboburks 04-23-2013 05:47 PM

Zippers busted on mine also, I've jst got them zip tied for now. If you don't mind, let us know what you think about the ones you get. I am going back with the spice, but am curious about the material. Also I am thinking about taking mine to an upholsterer and having them fix the zipper, OR using the ones I've got as a pattern and having some made in camo.

Scootsk 04-23-2013 06:35 PM

Saw a bunch on eBay today, used. I'm actually looking for the rear bar padding. PO ripped both sides putting top down/up. I'm not find 03-06 rears though.

SpoiledRotten 04-24-2013 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thgr8alex (Post 3673390)
I was about to buy some but i painted them with a vinyl/fabric paint and they look like new and saved a bunch of money!

And do you have a diamond plate peice over your trunk?? Or am i seeing things. I cant zoom in but if im seeing that right, ive been looking for one to cover my trunk. Did you make that or buy it? Sorry to hijack.

That is home made, thgr8alex. I friend had a piece of aluminum tailgate protector that he didn't need anymore. I made a template and used a jigsaw to cut out the diamond plate to fit the back area. I've really liked that simple mod. I just used rivets to secure it to the tub of the Jeep.

SpoiledRotten 04-24-2013 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by timboburks (Post 3674010)
Zippers busted on mine also, I've jst got them zip tied for now. If you don't mind, let us know what you think about the ones you get. I am going back with the spice, but am curious about the material. Also I am thinking about taking mine to an upholsterer and having them fix the zipper, OR using the ones I've got as a pattern and having some made in camo.

I'll let you know what I think about the new ones. Since they are Bestop denim, I'm hoping they are just like the original. I hated to go the $200.00 route for them, but just hope they are as good as the ones that came on the Jeep.

SpoiledRotten 04-24-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scootsk (Post 3674164)
Saw a bunch on eBay today, used. I'm actually looking for the rear bar padding. PO ripped both sides putting top down/up. I'm not find 03-06 rears though.

Good luck with your search, Scootsk!

thgr8alex 04-24-2013 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten (Post 3676302)

That is home made, thgr8alex. I friend had a piece of aluminum tailgate protector that he didn't need anymore. I made a template and used a jigsaw to cut out the diamond plate to fit the back area. I've really liked that simple mod. I just used rivets to secure it to the tub of the Jeep.

Thats what i figured! Ill probably be stealing that idea for mine :) thanks!!

mrobinso 04-24-2013 07:47 AM

There are a ton on eBay. Not cheap though. I think around $200 for a set.

SpoiledRotten 04-24-2013 12:25 PM

I actually got mine for $188 and free shipping. I'll be happy with that if they are true denim and good quality.

KentuckyMike 04-24-2013 12:34 PM

Have any of you washed the original covers before ? Mine are in good shape, but dirty. And the Spice color shows every speck of dirt. Was wondering if they will fall apart, if I washed them.

SpoiledRotten 04-25-2013 09:37 AM

They'll be ok.. I washed my 13 year old ones before I painted them. The zippers were just too far gone and were already broken. The washing didn't really help the looks but I fugured it was bound to help the paint stick better. I won't worry about them, though, when I my new ones are delivered in a few days. They'll be trash can buffering then.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:35 AM.