Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (
-   YJ Tech Forum (
-   -   Need help deciding front locker brand . . . (

piercejoelm 04-22-2013 07:42 PM

Need help deciding front locker brand . . .
I have a 95 4.0 yj dana 30/35 and want to lock the front since I will prob keep the 30 for a while and will be swapping the weak 35 for an 8.8. The question is, with stock front axle and shaft as a dd driving like 10 minutes to work and offroad in moderate trails every other weekend, what is the best locker for the money? I'm not looking to spend the money for an arb too expensive for me, something like 500 or less. Any help Or advice is greatly appreciated

Tyler92yj 04-22-2013 07:48 PM

lunch box locker would be your best bet spartan all the way

ozmk1 04-22-2013 07:53 PM

Check out Aussie lockers they are made in the USA and you won't even notice them when you are in 2 wd

piercejoelm 04-22-2013 08:39 PM

I'm between powertrax Aussie and the spartan. Pros cons of each. Performance vs noise and quality. I am keeping open diff. Don't want to do solid shaft yet. Does anybody have experience with all of these?

Tdog02 04-22-2013 08:56 PM

Spartan is well thought out with beefier pins and springs. Comes with new hardened cross pin and doesn't reuse thrust washers. Glad I have mine up front. Clicks a little and on tight radius turns you can hear it and feel it. I DD it now and it's not really noticeable on the road. The lunchbox locker is almost the same across the board. Jp mag has a write up on all of them a year or two ago.

frayedknot 04-22-2013 10:59 PM

Aussie, don't even know it is there until you need it or in 4wd. Good stuff!

turdhurdler 04-22-2013 11:59 PM

Another vote for the Aussie. I have had mine for about 3 years. No clicking, traction when I want and easy to install. The only downside to a lunchbox locker is if you have to drive on snowy/icy roads. Can be problematic if in 4wd.

yjJEEPyj 04-23-2013 01:40 AM

I have a Aussie up front also I don't really drive much road But I beat on it off road. I recommend it Also i researched most of the Lunchboxes before I bought a Aussie a little over a year ago. Along with the aussie also put in a Posi Lock Kit that removes the Vac connect and replaces it with cable operated. So you can completely unlock the front axle when you want to on road or if your in 4x4 off road and need to make a tight turn just pop your possi lock switch inside the cab and it will unlock your front axle and you can make then turn and switch it back in. I really like it and would recommend it also.

something like this. Posi-Lok PSL900 - 4x4 Posi-Lok for 84-95 Jeep® Wrangler YJ, Cherokee XJ & Comanche MJ - Quadratec

piercejoelm 04-23-2013 03:34 AM

Thanks all. Is there a particular part no. You would suggest for each brand?