Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   question about running a lift on stock tires (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/question-about-running-a-lift-on-stock-tires-237178.html)

turnbull 04-23-2013 09:08 AM

question about running a lift on stock tires

1 Attachment(s)
Hey right now I have a 2004 Wrangler with 6" suspension lift, 3" body lift, and 35x12.5" tires. The problem is i drive 500 miles a month on the highway and the 35's are not only killing me on gas but they get worn way too quickly. I am thinking about investing in good highway tires that will be 30x9.5" to save me on gas and to save the tread on my off-road tires. That way i am not spending $1200 on tires every 6 months. I still plan on using the 35's so i still need the lift. Ideally i would like to remove the 3" body lift and get 33" tires for off-roading because i dont need 35's but I have no idea how to remove the lift and i doubt i even have the right equipment to do it.

Anyway here is my question: does anyone have a picture close to what this will look like?

Here is a pic of my current rig:

jeepwayoflife 04-23-2013 09:24 AM

Yeah you definitely want to remove that 3" body lift. For 33's, a 3.5" or 4" suspension lift would be perfect. Check out my pics on my profile. I have 33's with a 3.5" Rubicon express lift kit.

UnlimitedLJ04 04-23-2013 09:28 AM

doesn't look like a 3" BL.

stumpbuster 04-23-2013 09:30 AM

no gots no 3" bl meng

Neil F. 04-23-2013 09:34 AM

Doing 500 mi a month, 6 months out of tires so you are only getting 3k out of tires? Something is seriously wrong then.

turnbull 04-23-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3672299)
doesn't look like a 3" BL.

So it just has the 6" suspension lift then? How can you tell? Cus the dealer said it had a 3" body lift too.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 3672299)
Doing 500 mi a month, 6 months out of tires so you are only getting 3k out of tires? Something is seriously wrong then.

Well I got the Jeep back in August 2012, so I guess that is 8 months. But yea, the tread indicators are completely worn on some of the treads. It could be that the tires were used when I bought it. It could also be due to the fact the front pitment arm was loose, so my wheels had some play in them (on the steering wheel, it was about 1 hr on a clock of play). The wheels having that much freedom probably did not help, and I think that may be the main cause because my rear treads were fine. I had them balanced and rotated, and the guy said all the wheels were way out of balance even though I've had them balanced/rotated 3 times in the last 8 months. Driving 70 MPH on the highway through mountains probably does not help either.

PStov98TJ 04-23-2013 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by turnbull (Post 3672403)

So it just has the 6" suspension lift then? How can you tell? Cus the dealer said it had a 3" body lift too.

First lesson, dealers don't really know anything about jeeps. Post some pictures of your rear bumper and rear wheel wells.

And do you have a 10-20 ton jack and jack stands and basic hand tools? If so, you can do take any body lift (if there is one) off and, if you want too, swap out springs, shocks, and other stuff that may need replacing/adjusting with a friend in a weekend. Just read up on it. There's threads out there.

KaiserJeep 04-23-2013 10:16 AM

YES you can run stock tires with a lift, without doing anything except tolerate wisecracks about "weenie tires". Get some stock Jeep tires on Jeep steelies from a tire shop, or better yet Craigs List.

stumpbuster 04-23-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3672425)
First lesson, dealers don't really know anything about jeeps. Post some pictures of your rear bumper and rear wheel wells.

And do you have a 10-20 ton jack and jack stands and basic hand tools? If so, you can do take any body lift (if there is one) off and, if you want too, swap out springs, shocks, and other stuff that may need replacing/adjusting with a friend in a weekend. Just read up on it. There's threads out there.

20 ton jackstands?
lol
my 3 ton do just fine word

turnbull 04-23-2013 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3672425)

Well i'd post pictures but i dont have my Jeep right now. I had to switch vehicles for a month so that when i go home for the summer i have enough space to fit all my crap.

I have the jack that came with the Jeep, but i doubt that is what i need. I may have to buy a jack. I'm sure i have everything else. My main concern was that i thought that since we are talking about a body lift that you would actually have to support the vehicle by the frame and i just didnt see how that could be done with a jack.

NC Bear 04-23-2013 12:24 PM

looks like an inch body to me.