Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Door Problems! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/door-problems-237189.html)

Chadwhitehead10 04-23-2013 10:19 AM

Door Problems!

So the other day I was trying to take the doors off my jeep (half doors, 99' sport) and had a ton of trouble. First off, I WD-40'd all of the hinges but realized that there was only one bolt on each side and the other two looked like they had been broken off. The guy before me obviously didn't take them off very often because all hinges were pretty rusty. So I proceed to take the bolts off the doors, and I tried to take them off. The doors didn't even budge. So I eventually gave up and just put the bolts back on, breaking one of the bolts off with the screw inside. Has anybody had this happen and could it turn into a problem? The doors seem totally fine but I would like to take them off eventually. Especially since summer is coming up and I'll be taking it to the beach every weekend. Thanks!

SinfulDragon 04-23-2013 10:36 AM

For fun and hopeful understanding, I'm going to replace "Bolt" in your story with "Nut"

Nuts broke off/missing. Not an issue, I have all 4 nuts to the doors of my Jeep... somewhere.... in the garage? I don't know, been that way since the day I brought it home.
Take em off, break em off if you get that lucky (I say pray you break them, saves you from having to cut down the ugly overhang of the bolt as you'll soon stop putting them back on as well).

Wattapunk 04-23-2013 10:42 AM

Can you post a pic because I can't seem to follow what you are referring you? You don't remove the bolt that is attached in the door hinges just the bottom nut only. The doors would have to be wiggled out if it's stuck.

Curro 04-23-2013 10:58 AM

This is what i have done in the past. PB blaster, a Jack and a 2x4 length wise on the bottom of the door with the jack positioned along side the Jeep and as close to the hinges as I can..Jack it up until the door starts to lift the jeep a bit. Then wiggle the door ever so slightly back and forth. The doors will eventually start to walk them selves out.

Runkmaster 04-23-2013 11:06 AM

Yeah I had a heck of a time getting my doors off the first time. The PO never had them off so after ten years on the road it was tough to get them loose. I ended up using a generous amount of PB Blaster a mallet and a hard block. After some patience and coaxing they came loose. The broken bolt is no big deal...I wouldn't worry bout it.

Chadwhitehead10 04-23-2013 12:28 PM

Sorry I meant the nut, it seemed as if the screw hung down. And that broke off in the nut. I will post pics later today as I'm in school at the moment. Just to clear things up though there's no alternative but to just use brute force to take them off?

Chadwhitehead10 04-23-2013 12:35 PM

For further explanation though, the previous owner broke off two nuts, I broke off another. When the nut broke off, it took the screw it went on as well. The screw is broken off all the way to the hinge.

Wattapunk 04-23-2013 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadwhitehead10 (Post 3672864)
Sorry I meant the nut, it seemed as if the screw hung down. And that broke off in the nut. I will post pics later today as I'm in school at the moment. Just to clear things up though there's no alternative but to just use brute force to take them off?

PB Blaster the door hinge and work the door back/forth then up/down to see if it will wiggle out the hinge. Use the wood block/jack with extreme caution if going this route.

n00g7 04-23-2013 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chadwhitehead10 (Post 3672864)

There's some intelligence involved, i.e., you're never going to get them off pulling up in the middle of the door.

I like to stand between the jeep and the door (talking about driver door right now), open the door to about 30-45 degrees and kind of sit on the door sill with the right corner of the door resting right behind my right knee, then I just wiggle the door a bit and push straight up with my foot.
If the pins are straight it shouldn't take too much to come off. If you bent them, you may need to jack the door off as people mentioned. I didn't find the need to do that though. I threw the nuts away too -- just don't open your door if the jeep is upside down lol.

Waldo1 04-23-2013 12:45 PM

Once you get them out for the first time take some emery cloth and clean all the rust off, and put some anti-seize compound on them. I had to use a floor jack and a 2x4 the first time I removed mine, now I can just lift them off anytime.