Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   2012 Rubicon Steering Wheel Controls *** No Longer Working *** Please Help! (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/2012-rubicon-steering-wheel-controls-no-longer-working-please-help-237247.html)

bopanic 04-23-2013 02:21 PM

2012 Rubicon Steering Wheel Controls *** No Longer Working *** Please Help!
 
Hey guys,

So my 2012 two door rubi steering wheel controls just stopped working the other day.

For those familiar with the way the steering wheel controls are set up, everything just suddenly stopped working (radio controls, mileage range, etc...) but my cruise control which is also located on the steering wheel still works.

Any idea what my issue might be? Do I need to reset something? Id love to do a self fix if I could! I called my dealer and they want me to bring it in of course...

I would have thought that a fuse or wire had gone bad, if everything stopped working at once, but the fact that my cruise control options still work makes me wonder?

Please help a guy out! Big thanks in advance!
~Bo

the Grouch 04-23-2013 02:25 PM

Honk. It worked on my 2011. Don't ask me why, but it worked. Had the same problem, searched the forum many people reported that hooking the horn would fix it. Honk once or twice and all steering wheel controls worked again.

bopanic 04-23-2013 02:32 PM

hmm... random... but at this point ill give anything a try.

im outta town for work right now but when i get home thursday ill try it!

thanks for the idea!

the Grouch 04-23-2013 03:40 PM

Same thing I thought, but it worked

crawlin_archer 04-23-2013 09:39 PM

Probably a clockspring issue. But you can try to reset all the modules & see if function returns. Unhook the battery & touch the cables together for about 5secs then leave it disconnected for 10minutes. This is a capacitive discharge & resets modules & they sometimes start working after this.

nubzsidefx 04-27-2013 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawlin_archer (Post 3674976)
Probably a clockspring issue. But you can try to reset all the modules & see if function returns. Unhook the battery & touch the cables together for about 5secs then leave it disconnected for 10minutes. This is a capacitive discharge & resets modules & they sometimes start working after this.

Not worth the risk.

nubzsidefx 04-27-2013 11:57 PM

Omg I can't believe honking the horn worked. Hahaha I had this problem before and I made and appointment with the dealership. Of course when I brought it in it didn't work for them. Them about 2 weeks ago it started acting up again. Figure I'd try WF for a solution and there it was how simple. Thank you simple geniuses

SilverSport 04-28-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nubzsidefx (Post 3691230)
Not worth the risk.

What risk?

chris4x4 04-28-2013 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3691304)
What risk?

It can cause other issues, up to frying the ECM/ECU........Just what I was told. I have no experiance doing this.

bopanic 04-28-2013 11:17 PM

Funny thing & knock on wood it doesn't act up again BUT I got home from Phoenix & it started working again. Didn't even need to honk the horn... For now...

relyt 04-28-2013 11:30 PM

Don't touch the wires together. Disconnect the battery and press the brake pedal for ~10 seconds and any residual power will be discharged through the brake lights.

nubzsidefx 04-29-2013 11:44 PM

You can short circuit causing blown fuses and relays. Not to mention creating a fire hazard

jkucod12 04-29-2013 11:46 PM

If it is still under warranty take it to the dealer.

crawlin_archer 04-30-2013 06:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chris4x4 (Post 3691342)
It can cause other issues, up to frying the ECM/ECU........Just what I was told. I have no experiance doing this.

No it won't. We do it all the time. It's an actual service procedure from Chrysler called a " capacitive discharge ". Because some modules have capacitors in them that store energy & just unhooking the battery doesn't reset them all the way. So when you hold the + & - cables together it forces them to discharge. And this procedure fixes things sometimes when a module gets stupid & forgets what it's supposed to be doing. I explained it before but here it is, every module in your ride is like a little mini computer & sometimes your computer needs a reboot to clear up memory or some bad data like your home computer does. And this procedure is like doing a restart on your home pc. No it doesn't fix everything, but it's an easy step that may work. Just don't touch the terminals together if you still have the power hooked up, that would cause problems.

crawlin_archer 04-30-2013 06:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nubzsidefx (Post 3699726)
You can short circuit causing blown fuses and relays. Not to mention creating a fire hazard

Again, how are you gonna short circuit something & blow a fuse or relay when the battery is disconnected? If you don't want to believe me so be it. I do this for a living, so if I do something wrong it's my but. So I try not to make errors & fry stuff. But in the end it's your ride & you can do what you want to it.

chris4x4 04-30-2013 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawlin_archer (Post 3700487)
No it won't. We do it all the time. It's an actual service procedure from Chrysler called a " capacitive discharge ". Because some modules have capacitors in them that store energy & just unhooking the battery doesn't reset them all the way. So when you hold the + & - cables together it forces them to discharge. And this procedure fixes things sometimes when a module gets stupid & forgets what it's supposed to be doing. I explained it before but here it is, every module in your ride is like a little mini computer & sometimes your computer needs a reboot to clear up memory or some bad data like your home computer does. And this procedure is like doing a restart on your home pc. No it doesn't fix everything, but it's an easy step that may work. Just don't touch the terminals together if you still have the power hooked up, that would cause problems.

Interesting. being that there is a battery in the ECM, I was told that touching the two cables can cause issues. I was told the best way was to either press the brake pedal or turn the ignition to the on position to discharge any remaining current.

CoreyZ 04-30-2013 10:12 AM

My 12 started having intermittent issues with the voice command and the phone button on the steering wheel. Wonder what the issue is...

nubzsidefx 04-30-2013 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawlin_archer (Post 3700510)
Again, how are you gonna short circuit something & blow a fuse or relay when the battery is disconnected? If you don't want to believe me so be it. I do this for a living, so if I do something wrong it's my but. So I try not to make errors & fry stuff. But in the end it's your ride & you can do what you want to it.

Sorry, I miss understood your statement and if I were on the clock I would probably do it too, but since I have time to kill I'd let it drain itself out. Getting back to the original post, don't even bother with the battery and just honk if your horny for steering controls

Hose dragger 01-09-2014 07:27 AM

I just had the same problem. Honked my horn and boom it's working again. That's some funny s??t


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:54 PM.