Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   wheel tire pick and MPGs (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/wheel-tire-pick-and-mpgs-237258.html)

flharleycop 04-23-2013 03:03 PM

wheel tire pick and MPGs

I am looking at getting Goodyear Dura Trac 285-70-17 and Micky Thompson Classic Lock wheels for my 11 JKU. Currently I get pretty good MPGs with the stock 17 wranglers on it about 17-18 around town and 20-22 on the highway. I have read on here about the weight of the wheel and tire combo and how that can affect the MPGs. I cannot find the weight of the stock tire combo or a site with the weight of the ones I want to get. Do any of you know have any idea if this will affect my average millage? I know that I have to get the wheels with the correct BS and maybe a BB is in the future just not right now. There are some great deals on ProComp packages but I hear they are heavy and I really like the DT and MT combo.

Thanks

mike1158 04-23-2013 03:20 PM

i can tell you that your stock tires are probably about 40#...the stock 255/70-18 Sahara tires run 42#..as for wheels 20-30 pounds is a good guess.
You are wise in being concerned about weights.
I just upgrade my tires to Grabber AT2s 275/65-18 (i know , not much of an upgrade, they are actuially the same diameter as stock just 1" wider) but i do about 500 miles a week in my Jeep so mileage was an issue..and its not gonna be a hard core wheeler.. Its actually a work my vehicle. But I spent a lot of time looking at specs. and weights. My Grabbers are only 2# heavier then the stock tires. I stayed with stock wheels..
I see alot of guys going with big "E" rated tires...they gotta weigh a ton. Some of them get up around 65#..thats an extra 25# of unsprung weight at each corner.
From what i have seen DTs are more reasonable, compared to alot of the other aggresive tires.
But honestly the BIGGEST difference in mileage comes from your right foot...
I have a 2013 Sahara 2 door, 3.6 auto with 3.73s...i average about 19.5 with my Grabbers, that's just fine with me...

flharleycop 04-23-2013 04:16 PM

I drive pretty light on the foot and set cruise to get the best I can out of it. This is my DD also and it pains me at the pump even know I am going pretty good for what it is. I love the look of the bigger tires bumpers etc. But I want to help the weight anyplace I can to preserve my wallet at the pumps. I also am thinking of getting a small travel trailer like the Casita or Scamp or Whitewater Retro so I don’t want to get too big a tire and get into gearing issues.

Wingsnut72 04-23-2013 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flharleycop (Post 3673453)
I am looking at getting Goodyear Dura Trac 285-70-17 and Micky Thompson Classic Lock wheels for my 11 JKU. Currently I get pretty good MPGs with the stock 17 wranglers on it about 17-18 around town and 20-22 on the highway. I have read on here about the weight of the wheel and tire combo and how that can affect the MPGs. I cannot find the weight of the stock tire combo or a site with the weight of the ones I want to get. Do any of you know have any idea if this will affect my average millage? I know that I have to get the wheels with the correct BS and maybe a BB is in the future just not right now. There are some great deals on ProComp packages but I hear they are heavy and I really like the DT and MT combo.

Thanks

I did a little home work before I bought my wheel tire package. I wondered the same as you about the weight of wheels and tires. I went to rock auto and looked a at weight of last years rubicon wheels. I then went to tire rack and looked up the oem tire. I then added the two togather. I can't remember what the weight was, but my m/t classic black III and toyo 285/70/17 where only maybe 8 pounds more so I went with them.

dreinecke 04-23-2013 04:31 PM

I have had my AEV lift on for almost a week and a half now. I kept the stock Moabs and with the 285-70-17 GY Duratracs I'm averaging 21. I drive 500 miles per week - 99% highway at 70-75 mph with a 2012 JKU with a manual and 3:73. I'm shocked how well it is doing!

st1264 04-23-2013 04:41 PM

Getting a tire with better rolling resistance will also help your mileage. Weight is also a big issue, as already mentioned. Finding an off road/all terrain tire that is light and has good rolling resistance may be futile however. Lesser of 2 evils... maybe.

BManz 04-23-2013 08:19 PM

I replaced the stock Goodyear SRAs (Slip Readily Anywhere) with close-to-stock 265/70-17 Duratrac C-load range and had zero measurable impact on fuel economy. I would guess that the slightly heavier and wider 285/70 Duratrac might have more of an impact. The surprising thing to me was that going to a much more aggressive tread didn't hurt my MPGs in a measurable way: 17-18mpg pure urban driving and up to 21-24+mpg pure highway -- with 265/70-17 Duratracs.

flharleycop 04-23-2013 09:13 PM

Great info thank you!