Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Alignment after lift install (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/alignment-after-lift-install-237333.html)

vankemp 04-23-2013 09:50 PM

Alignment after lift install

Just wondering if anyone has had any alignment issues after installing their lift --

I want to be careful not to wear my tires on the inside if the camber is off. I talked to my installer of the lift kit, and he says there should be no issues with the camber because it is a straight axle, and the lift should not be an issue.

I put a 4" (readylift) lift on, and I just took it down to have it aligned and they said I will need Cam adjusters to get it right.. Quote was $394 installed..

I went to Readylift site and did find this..

Installing a lift kit on any solid axle vehicle will alter the position of the axle. This can be corrected with the addition of an adjustable track bar available through most off-road parts dealers, check with your local dealer for options in your area. If you have any questions please contact our ReadyLIFT customer service department.

So -- back to my question.. what to install (if anything) to insure everything is aligned properly, or what have others done??

Thanks

crawlin_archer 04-23-2013 10:04 PM

It's a solid axle vehicle, kinda hard to mess up camber when there isn't an adjustment for it. I have never messed with caster on any of the lifts I install. all you need to do is get your steering wheel recentered caue it will be off due to difference in the axle being lower then it was. This pulls the draglink to the right putting the steering wheel off to the right a 1/4 turn or less. If you use an adjustable trackbar you can adjust it yourself. All you do is measure the distance from the shock mount to the inside edge of tire. make sure you measure in the same spot on both sides. It's centered when you have the same measurement on each side. It's really simple.

And caster isn't something you really have to worry about normally on a solid axle vehicle. The reason is becasue it should be the same on both side. On IFS rides you can get different caster readings from right to left. And caster is what makes a car pull to one side or the other. A vehicle will pull to the side with the least amount of positive caster. But if your lift came with new control arms it should correct the result of losing some positive caster from the lift.

crawlin_archer 04-23-2013 10:06 PM

And to recenter the steerign wheel all you do is adjust the spanner on the draglink. On the 3" kits I do at work, it usually calls for about a half turn of the adjustable soanner.

vankemp 04-23-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawlin_archer (Post 3674839)
It's a solid axle vehicle, kinda hard to mess up camber when there isn't an adjustment for it. I have never messed with caster on any of the lifts I install. all you need to do is get your steering wheel recentered caue it will be off due to difference in the axle being lower then it was. This pulls the draglink to the right putting the steering wheel off to the right a 1/4 turn or less. If you use an adjustable trackbar you can adjust it yourself. All you do is measure the distance from the shock mount to the inside edge of tire. make sure you measure in the same spot on both sides. It's centered when you have the same measurement on each side. It's really simple.

And caster isn't something you really have to worry about normally on a solid axle vehicle. The reason is becasue it should be the same on both side. On IFS rides you can get different caster readings from right to left. And caster is what makes a car pull to one side or the other. A vehicle will pull to the side with the least amount of positive caster. But if your lift came with new control arms it should correct the result of losing some positive caster from the lift.

Thanks for the input.. I will dig into this tomorrow, but im quite certain he said the camber was showing out of whack by a decent margin -- I am going to a different dealer tomorrow to take another look.