Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Stock empty switch ports (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/stock-empty-switch-ports-237390.html)

mrbullitt 04-24-2013 01:15 AM

Stock empty switch ports

I would love to have an SPod and others have even come up with their own ideas. but I got to thinking about the empty spaces on the stock switch panel on the center dash under the radio. Has anyone used these instead of adding another place for switches? If So, do other switches fit these spots, or did you have to use the ones that Mopar/jeep/chrysler sell?

YAY69 04-24-2013 03:11 AM

Subscribed.

But I have a feeling you cannot use these empty slots due to the complex wiring behind. You would have to know what you are doing... If it can be done, awesome, because that is exactly what I wanted to do.

Instead, I placed 4 switches above the speaker next to the steering wheel. Don't have pics right now sorry.

asianhulk 04-24-2013 03:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbullitt (Post 3675728)
I would love to have an SPod and others have even come up with their own ideas. but I got to thinking about the empty spaces on the stock switch panel on the center dash under the radio. Has anyone used these instead of adding another place for switches? If So, do other switches fit these spots, or did you have to use the ones that Mopar/jeep/chrysler sell?

I have heard it was a circuit board behind there, but read somewhere they had enough room to put a small rocker switch

YAY69 04-24-2013 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianhulk (Post 3675923)

I have heard it was a circuit board behind there, but read somewhere they had enough room to put a small rocker switch

That sounds right. I couldn't quite remember. I would love to have stock looking switches wired in those spots :(

Senior Chief 04-24-2013 07:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Or this ...... :D

mrbullitt 04-24-2013 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by asianhulk (Post 3675923)

Guess I'll just have to pull off the cover and check it out. Seems a waste to have 5 open spots and you can't even put anything in there.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Senior Chief (Post 3676323)

lol That was my second choice is I couldn't fit anything in them.

woansleftpeg 04-24-2013 10:12 AM

There was a really good thread on doing this a short while back, it isn't anything like as easy as I had hoped it would be (for many manufacturers it's just a blanking plate that pops out to leave a hole, but not for a Jeep it seems) but it is doable. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: nope, sorry. Can't find it anywhere.

laollis 04-24-2013 10:16 AM

Quote:

This is what I did too. :punk:

Wranglin4Life 04-24-2013 10:29 AM

Quote:

Lol. I dont know if I would put a pirate mode one in... that could be taken a few diff ways :nonono:

mrbullitt 04-24-2013 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by woansleftpeg (Post 3676811)
There was a really good thread on doing this a short while back, it isn't anything like as easy as I had hoped it would be (for many manufacturers it's just a blanking plate that pops out to leave a hole, but not for a Jeep it seems) but it is doable. I'll see if I can find it.

Edit: nope, sorry. Can't find it anywhere.

lol thanks anyway. I did a search as well before opening this thread and couldn't find anything.

thejdj 04-24-2013 11:04 AM

Here is a link I had saved from a while back.

2012 JK Wrangler OEM Switch Panel Mod - Testing Phase - YouTube

woansleftpeg 04-24-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrbullitt (Post 3676888)
lol thanks anyway. I did a search as well before opening this thread and couldn't find anything.

The dude who did it was some kind of electrical engineer - as I recall there was a fair degree of soldering and componentry.

Barmanvarn 04-24-2013 11:28 AM

There is a circuit board the runs the length of the switch panel. You could probably install switches with a bit of sweat, but it wouldn't be painless.

I had the same idea a while back and decided against it.

Joeinkc 07-24-2013 07:12 AM

Where did u find these?

Quote:

Where did u find these switches? I've been looking everywhere or these on a jk so I can fill a couple blanks. Thanks bro

Argent 07-24-2013 08:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joeinkc (Post 3997163)
Where did u find these switches? I've been looking everywhere or these on a jk so I can fill a couple blanks. Thanks bro

I believe those are just stickers stuck on the blank spots to make it looks like they are switches....

Getnoff 07-24-2013 09:42 AM

The look the same as my 06 WJ was. Cant find any info tho.
Troy

laollis 07-25-2013 08:39 AM

JK Funny Switch Bezel Decals