Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Change diff fluid at 20k??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/change-diff-fluid-at-20k-237431.html)

BlackOpsJeep 04-24-2013 09:32 AM

Change diff fluid at 20k???

I just had another oil change and the local stealership and they informed me that I needed a differential fluid change. I asked him how that would be possible on a relatively new vehicle that doesn't do any towing or serious off-roading. He of course had no answer but the mechanic showed me that it was black. He then said for them to change it would cost me $149. No effin way. I told him I will change it myself for that cost. I know some diff fluids are usually black anyway but what is your opinion on this? Mine is a 2012 JKU.
:confused:

ilikeguns 04-24-2013 09:42 AM

check the manual but it does seem a bit early. I do a lot of water wheeling so I decided to change mine this past weekend. It's super easy... just make sure you can remove the fill hole BEFORE draining the diff in case it's stuck/fused etc.

RoadiJeff 04-24-2013 09:47 AM

On the 2013 maintenance schedule (I don't have a 2012 guide) it says to change the fluid every 40,000 miles IF you use your vehicle for police, taxi, off-road, fleet or frequent towing.

The next time he says it "needs" to be changed, ask him to show you that in the owner's manual scheduled maintenance guide. The fluid naturally gets darker with use. That doesn't mean it has to be changed whenever it happens.

Sounds like it might be time to look for a different service department. If they're trying to gouge you on an un-needed service there's no telling what else they may try to pull.

BlackOpsJeep 04-24-2013 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoadiJeff (Post 3676709)
On the 2013 maintenance schedule (I don't have a 2012 guide) it says to change the fluid every 40,000 miles IF you use your vehicle for police, taxi, off-road, fleet or frequent towing.

The next time he says it "needs" to be changed, ask him to show you that in the owner's manual scheduled maintenance guide. The fluid naturally gets darker with use. That doesn't mean it has to be changed whenever it happens.

Sounds like it might be time to look for a different service department. If they're trying to gouge you on an un-needed service there's no telling what else they may try to pull.

Looking at the diffs on my jku, it looks to be easy as pie. I seen the write-up so I will do this myself. 4 qts cost me $26 for 75W-90. They were going to charge me $149. Ripoff.

MmmDirt 04-24-2013 11:16 AM

Stealership!! Roar! That's hysterical.

I took my wife's car in for an oil change to a Honda Stealer. I figured for hers I'm going to dealer service until the warranty is up. Just a personal pref.

Anyways, I'm not thinking clearly when the very nice service lady comes shows me the cabin air filter and asks if I would like to have that changed too. I say F-it, why not.

Get the bill....80 bucks!!!! 80 dollars for a 10 dollar filter that takes literally 1 min to change. (I've done timing belts, so it wasn't a technical ability thing, it was a lazy/not paying attention thing).

I literally would have rather been robbed at gunpoint then have that happen....

Blastek 04-24-2013 12:35 PM

i just looked through the 2012 Owner's Manual and I do not see any requirements to change the diff fluid. It just says "Inspect Front and Rear Axle Fluid" at pretty much every other service interval.

Dark fluid is normal.

2resa 04-24-2013 02:30 PM

I'd change dealerships if they think you're that gullible. Besides, when it is finally time to change the differential fluid, it's an easy DYI job (lots of videos, pics, etc) on how to do it. Took it to dealership last oil change at 30k miles and they said it was time for a 30k tuneup that would run about $800, which included changing differential fluid. Won't be going back there for maintenance.

AgBullet 04-24-2013 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MmmDirt (Post 3677028)
Stealership!! Roar! That's hysterical.

I took my wife's car in for an oil change to a Honda Stealer. I figured for hers I'm going to dealer service until the warranty is up. Just a personal pref.

Anyways, I'm not thinking clearly when the very nice service lady comes shows me the cabin air filter and asks if I would like to have that changed too. I say F-it, why not.

Get the bill....80 bucks!!!! 80 dollars for a 10 dollar filter that takes literally 1 min to change. (I've done timing belts, so it wasn't a technical ability thing, it was a lazy/not paying attention thing).

I literally would have rather been robbed at gunpoint then have that happen....

What's particularly funny about this is that all the labor involved (removing/reinserting the old filter) would have to be done anyway just to show you the old filter.

MmmDirt 04-24-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AgBullet (Post 3677973)
What's particularly funny about this is that all the labor involved (removing/reinserting the old filter) would have to be done anyway just to show you the old filter.

Yes! I thought that too!!
(Facepalm)

Jared66 04-24-2013 08:03 PM

Diff fluid shouldn't be black.... There isn't a carbon emmiting engine in your diff. Which is what causes oil to go black. It will just get a thicker darker tone of the colour it is.( usually yellow). If it gets like gouty/sludgy kinda foggy. U got water in it. Stick ur finger in ur diff plug and see if it's actually black or If he was just banking on you being a retard

Zed 04-24-2013 08:07 PM

That's about when I changed mine. FYI the stealership told me the same thing... Price and all. I changed it myself for under $30. Adding new diff oil to the front is a bit of a PITA ... Just awkard. But def not $140 awkard!