Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Zipper on soft top want zip help its raining. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/zipper-on-soft-top-want-zip-help-its-raining-237446.html)

Shawty 04-24-2013 10:39 AM

Zipper on soft top want zip help its raining.
 
I have had the top off my TJ for like two days, now I tried to put the windows in it and the zipper want zip all the way ill post pictures.

Shawty 04-24-2013 10:42 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This what it is doing the rest of the Window zipped up but I can't get this part. Van anyone tell me what I can do???????:(

Attachment 240534

Neil F. 04-24-2013 10:48 AM

Sorry i can't tell from the picture exactly what the problem is or what you are doing

Shawty 04-24-2013 10:58 AM

Okay sorry its the passenger side and its the top of the Window it want connect at the top and zip, but as it goes on around it starts to zip up fine.

lys327 04-24-2013 11:01 AM

If the bottom is secured and the velcro is good, attach it that way until it stretchs out a bit. If you have a garage, put the jeep in there and get the sides inside to warm up and they will strecth out. the problem is they shrank when the temp dropped. hope this helps.

AlexS 04-24-2013 11:02 AM

It seems like it is too tight and pulling the zipper out. I would try flipping the top latches on the windshield but do not remove them! Just flip them up! This will give you some wiggle room to pull the top towards the window to zip it up, then just relatch the latches.

lys327 04-24-2013 11:03 AM

Forgot to mention that if you zip it first and then work the rest of the edges. could help.

Rubicon1968 04-24-2013 11:07 AM

always zip first then snap in the channels-- I agree with cold shrinks

Shawty 04-24-2013 11:07 AM

I will heat up my garage and see it that works thank you :)

lys327 04-24-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawty (Post 3676952)
Okay sorry its the passenger side and its the top of the Window it want connect at the top and zip, but as it goes on around it starts to zip up fine.

easy undo the side window and zip it first then do the rest of the window.

Shawty 04-24-2013 11:14 AM

Yeah I always zip first, and yeah I never thought about the cold so I am putting a heater in the garage to see if that helps.

TJDave 04-24-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AlexS (Post 3676970)
It seems like it is too tight and pulling the zipper out. I would try flipping the top latches on the windshield but do not remove them! Just flip them up! This will give you some wiggle room to pull the top towards the window to zip it up, then just relatch the latches.

I agree. I leave the top unlatched (but still connected in the windshield frame), giving me the most slack as possible. When installing side windows, I use the velcro on the bottom rear of the window to help me. I attach it about 4" higher from where it normally would go. That makes the starting zip point by the door surrounds go together easier. Once zipper is started along the top, I lower it back down. Zip windows, attach channel rails everywhere, last is buckle down and it tightens up.

I always run a candle, or chap stick along all zippers before putting windows in. That seems to help also.

The rear window is always the one that wants to give me grief. Don't let it, but don't force it.

Mine is a factory top and the only one I have ever had. So, I don't know if aftermarket tops work the same if you have one.

It does get easier every time I do it, even after 7 years. Hope you get it.

Shawty 04-24-2013 11:48 AM

TJDave---- thanks I will try to undo the windshield.

Shawty 04-26-2013 02:46 PM

Okay guys I have tried everything candles undoing the top from the windshield and still the zipper will not catch and zip up. Do I just need to buy a new top or Window or what???

LouieDelTorchio 04-26-2013 03:02 PM

You could bring it to an upholstery shop and see what they can do with it. But then again, my local one wanted $150 to patch a hole :/

Shawty 04-26-2013 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LouieDelTorchio (Post 3686628)
You could bring it to an upholstery shop and see what they can do with it. But then again, my local one wanted $150 to patch a hole :/

Well hell 150 is less than a new top but this is an entire zipper...:/

lys327 04-29-2013 05:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawty (Post 3686591)
Okay guys I have tried everything candles undoing the top from the windshield and still the zipper will not catch and zip up. Do I just need to buy a new top or Window or what???

Not trying to insult you, did you double check the top and ensure that it was completely down. Nothing stuck under the top. Before spending money, i would put the top back down and then put it back up. Somtimes things roll under and u dont always see it.

Shawty 04-29-2013 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lys327 (Post 3695324)

Not trying to insult you, did you double check the top and ensure that it was completely down. Nothing stuck under the top. Before spending money, i would put the top back down and then put it back up. Somtimes things roll under and u dont always see it.

I have tried everything. The teeth on the zipper just want close together. I am going to check today on getting the zipper replaced. I have only had the top for two years.

lys327 04-29-2013 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawty (Post 3695396)
I have tried everything. The teeth on the zipper just want close together. I am going to check today on getting the zipper replaced. I have only had the top for two years.

I was just wondering if maybe something came unhinged or unbolted on the frame.

Shawty 04-29-2013 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lys327 (Post 3695539)

I was just wondering if maybe something came unhinged or unbolted on the frame.

No I looked at everything and nothing lose or undone.

MountainMan96 04-29-2013 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shawty (Post 3676891)
I have had the top off my TJ for like two days, now I tried to put the windows in it and the zipper want zip all the way ill post pictures.

Use wd40 on it

Shawty 04-29-2013 08:46 AM

Haha y el ah have tried wd40 also

Neil F. 04-29-2013 09:06 AM

I'm sorry, I am still confused what it is doing or not doing.

I don't understand this

"Okay sorry its the passenger side and its the top of the Window it want connect at the top and zip, but as it goes on around it starts to zip up fine. "

The zipper (female slider and male tab) start at the top/door end. You say (assume) won't connect but then say as it goes around it zips up fine. How can it not connect but is fine the rest of the way?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:43 PM.