Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Loud noise coming from engine. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/loud-noise-coming-from-engine-237448.html)

LuisCazarez08 04-24-2013 11:46 AM

Loud noise coming from engine.

What do you think it may be?

Its real loud. Sounds like a pulley is out.

2012 JKU with 20k miles.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WKRV...e_gdata_player

LuisCazarez08 04-24-2013 11:57 AM

legitposter 04-24-2013 12:10 PM

Could be a pulley.. You're under warranty, can you just take it to the dealer?

LuisCazarez08 04-24-2013 12:44 PM

Jury Duty all week... I won't be able to take it till next week

Blastek 04-24-2013 01:12 PM

probably the water pump bearing. there is a very well-known issue with it and the pump is usually on national backorder.

citricacid 04-24-2013 01:19 PM

I've heard this before, are all of the latches on your airbox are tightly closed? The one closest towards the center is a pain. It either doesnt get latched, doesn't get latched correctly (sometimes it can be cooked or half latched) or you never latched it to begin with last time you checked your filter.

I could be wrong, but the audio in the video sounded just like when one of the latches came undone on my airbox. I'd checked it two weeks before, then as I was driving home one day I heard that sound. Then after pulling into my driveway I noticed it was my vehicle making the noise.

Let us know how it goes!

citricacid 04-24-2013 01:21 PM

Also, I believe my issue was not latching it correctly. I remember spending like 4 minutes trying to get it to latch. When I fixed it I actually had to unplug a few things to get my hand down there.

LuisCazarez08 04-24-2013 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by citricacid (Post 3677220)
I've heard this before, are all of the latches on your airbox are tightly closed? The one closest towards the center is a pain. It either doesnt get latched, doesn't get latched correctly (sometimes it can be cooked or half latched) or you never latched it to begin with last time you checked your filter.

I could be wrong, but the audio in the video sounded just like when one of the latches came undone on my airbox. I'd checked it two weeks before, then as I was driving home one day I heard that sound. Then after pulling into my driveway I noticed it was my vehicle making the noise.

Let us know how it goes!

Just went out there and checked... Airbox is closed

LuisCazarez08 04-24-2013 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 3677202)
probably the water pump bearing. there is a very well-known issue with it and the pump is usually on national backorder.

no overheating... I have a trip coming up.. Do you think its safe to drive for a long distance.

Blastek 04-24-2013 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuisCazarez08 (Post 3678006)
no overheating... I have a trip coming up.. Do you think its safe to drive for a long distance.

the bearing issue is just an annoyance. it doesn't affect the performance of the waterpump, so no worries on your trip. i'm sure after only about 10-20k miles the bearing may fail.

LuisCazarez08 05-14-2013 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blastek (Post 3678031)

the bearing issue is just an annoyance. it doesn't affect the performance of the waterpump, so no worries on your trip. i'm sure after only about 10-20k miles the bearing may fail.

I am at the dealership right now and yes sure enough it's the water pump bearing. I must be in luck.. They have one in stock! Ahaha

JB71 05-14-2013 01:56 PM

Have them listen to the engine while you're there, it's ticking too.

LuisCazarez08 05-14-2013 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JB71 (Post 3755034)
Have them listen to the engine while you're there, it's ticking too.

I've brought it before and they said it's a normal ticking. I'll bring it up again though

JB71 05-15-2013 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LuisCazarez08 (Post 3755044)
I've brought it before and they said it's a normal ticking. I'll bring it up again though

I can guarantee you, that is not "normal ticking" that is exactly what mine sounded like when it finally threw a code at 22,000 miles. I started to really notice the ticking at about 15,000 miles but since the head replacement I'm starting to think my engine was making noise from day one. I can honestly say my engine is quieter now than it has ever been and I purchased it brand new.

Once the cylinder head is replaced you will hear exactly what this engine SHOULD sound like.....or NOT sound like.;)

After having my cylinder head replaced, there is no doubt in my mind.... You just have to hear the "before and after" to understand. All I hear now is the light pitter patter of the injectors firing, other than that, it's as quiet as a church mouse under the hood.:thumb: