Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   Colorado Jeep Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/)
-   -   Lift Installation Help (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f60/lift-installation-help-237491.html)

cballou 04-24-2013 02:04 PM

Lift Installation Help
 
So I finally bit the bullet and purchased myself a lift. Unfortunately I do not have place to install it as I live in an apartment complex (I know, I should have thought of this ahead of time). I've thought about paying a shop to do it but I really want to tackle this job myself so I can become more familiar with my rig and I don't have a lot of money to spare. I was wondering if anyone in the Denver area might be willing to lend some space, and possibly some aid, to a fellow jeeper trying to install a lift.

I know this is asking a lot and I'm not expecting a huge influx of offers but I figured it was worth throwing out there.

Thanks in advance!

Sinister6 04-24-2013 02:29 PM

Rent a full size storage unit...usually cost $100. Sometimes they have deals first month is $10...install your lift in comfort. :thumb:

chuckr 04-24-2013 03:18 PM

There is also a place called DIY Auto, where you rent a bay, and it comes with a hydraulic lift and all the tools....it's $25 an hour IIRC, and you'll have plenty of room and you won't have to do lift sitting on the garage floor. Depending on when you're planning to do the install, I might be able to lend a hand.

jeepndon 04-24-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckr (Post 3677804)
There is also a place called DIY Auto, where you rent a bay, and it comes with a hydraulic lift and all the tools....it's $25 an hour IIRC, and you'll have plenty of room and you won't have to do lift sitting on the garage floor. Depending on when you're planning to do the install, I might be able to lend a hand.


X2 PM me if you need help

meschwenk 04-24-2013 03:45 PM

What kind of lift? Just spacers or a full kit with shocks, springs ...etc

cballou 04-24-2013 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sinister6 (Post 3677606)
Rent a full size storage unit...usually cost $100. Sometimes they have deals first month is $10...install your lift in comfort. :thumb:

Now that's thinking outside the box, hadn't thought of that.


Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckr (Post 3677804)
There is also a place called DIY Auto, where you rent a bay, and it comes with a hydraulic lift and all the tools....it's $25 an hour IIRC, and you'll have plenty of room and you won't have to do lift sitting on the garage floor. Depending on when you're planning to do the install, I might be able to lend a hand.

Do you have any more information on this? Location, phone number, website etc? That sounds like what I'm looking for.


Quote:

Originally Posted by meschwenk (Post 3677924)
What kind of lift? Just spacers or a full kit with shocks, springs ...etc

Its a 2-2.5 in lift with springs, shocks and front adj. track bar. I've also got some bump stop spacers.

chuckr 04-24-2013 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cballou (Post 3677980)
Do you have any more information on this? Location, phone number, website etc? That sounds like what I'm looking for.

DIY Auto Repair Shops : Fully Equipped Self-Service Auto Repair

I've used this place when I did my skid plate this winter. The owner's a nice guy and knowledgable about Jeeps to boot.

CoreyZ 04-25-2013 08:17 AM

I just installed my girlfriends Rubicon Express 2.5" lift last weekend in her TJ. Let me know if you need help. I did it at my dad's house since he has a lift in his garage and more tools than me, otherwise I would offer up my own. I just dont have all the fun air tools that makes the time go faster.

cballou 04-25-2013 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyZ (Post 3680728)
I just installed my girlfriends Rubicon Express 2.5" lift last weekend in her TJ. Let me know if you need help. I did it at my dad's house since he has a lift in his garage and more tools than me, otherwise I would offer up my own. I just dont have all the fun air tools that makes the time go faster.

Thanks man, I appreciate the offer. I'm leaning towards that DIY place mentioned above. Its a little ways from my house but for $25/hr you get a lift and use of air tools, can't argue with that! How did your install go? Any tips for a first timer? About how long did it take?

CoreyZ 04-25-2013 09:31 AM

Using that place would be a good idea. The lifts arent all that helpful unless its the frame lift (the kind that lifts the vehicle from the frame where the doors are on both sides) so check and see what kinds they have if you do that.
Other than that, its pretty straight forward. Drilling out the upper mount for the new front trackbar was the only real sucky part for us. First we didnt have the 5/8 bit, then the bit we bought and the heavy duty drill we used broke, so we went back and got a second bit and second drill. After that we got it done good. The rear trackbar, removing it from the axle was a PITA as the bolt is a long T55 and dealing with the gas tank is annoying.

Use air tools wherever you can and wear gloves! :D
Took us about 8 hours which is a few hours longer than it should as we were dealing with instructions that werent 100% clear and issues with the tools and just being over all slow. Ive done suspension stuff in cars before but took my time anyways. If you plan for it, you can use some more time doing your alignment yourself as well and avoid paying for it.

The last bit I have to do is the ZJ tie rod conversion on hers. Then hers will be all aligned as well.

chuckr 04-25-2013 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyZ (Post 3681012)
Using that place would be a good idea. The lifts arent all that helpful unless its the frame lift (the kind that lifts the vehicle from the frame where the doors are on both sides) so check and see what kinds they have if you do that.
Other than that, its pretty straight forward. Drilling out the upper mount for the new front trackbar was the only real sucky part for us. First we didnt have the 5/8 bit, then the bit we bought and the heavy duty drill we used broke, so we went back and got a second bit and second drill. After that we got it done good. The rear trackbar, removing it from the axle was a PITA as the bolt is a long T55 and dealing with the gas tank is annoying.

Use air tools wherever you can and wear gloves! :D
Took us about 8 hours which is a few hours longer than it should as we were dealing with instructions that werent 100% clear and issues with the tools and just being over all slow. Ive done suspension stuff in cars before but took my time anyways. If you plan for it, you can use some more time doing your alignment yourself as well and avoid paying for it.

The last bit I have to do is the ZJ tie rod conversion on hers. Then hers will be all aligned as well.

Yes these lifts pick the jeep up by the frame, so the lift won't be in the way while working on the suspension.

CoreyZ 04-25-2013 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckr (Post 3681068)
Yes these lifts pick the jeep up by the frame, so the lift won't be in the way while working on the suspension.

Thats good.. My dad's is the ramp kind, so while it raised it up nicely to work at chest level with the parts, we still had to jack it up ON the ramps just to extend the suspension lol.

CoreyZ 04-25-2013 11:46 AM

What kind of tires/wheels did you pick up too?

BTW... here is a before/after of my girlfriends 01 we just did... just to give you a taste ;-)
http://img694.imageshack.us/img694/6...3042510420.png
RE 3.5" (with transfer case drop till we can do the SYE/CV and tummy tuck), RE adjustable front trackbar, 15x8 steel wheels, 33" nitto trail grapplers.
Up next is updating her stock stereo to use a new PDX5 amp, sub etc and the ZJ tie rod conversion.

cballou 04-25-2013 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyZ (Post 3681498)
What kind of tires/wheels did you pick up too?

BTW... here is a before/after of my girlfriends 01 we just did... just to give you a taste ;-)

RE 3.5" (with transfer case drop till we can do the SYE/CV and tummy tuck), RE adjustable front trackbar, 15x8 steel wheels, 33" nitto trail grapplers.
Up next is updating her stock stereo to use a new PDX5 amp, sub etc and the ZJ tie rod conversion.

Wheels and tires are going to be my next purchase. I got a 2.5" lift so I'm hoping it won't look TOO awkward in the meantime. I got a front adj. trackbar as well and will be doing a tc drop if needed. I hope to do the tie rod conversion soon as well.

And by the way, her jeep looks AWESOME!

CoreyZ 04-25-2013 12:13 PM

We just chopped her front bumper too :-)

Let me know if you need help. Im working on hers this weekend too.

cballou 04-25-2013 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoreyZ (Post 3681612)
We just chopped her front bumper too :-)

Let me know if you need help. Im working on hers this weekend too.

Cool man! I'm hoping to get some time set up at the DIY place on Saturday to get it done. Hopefully with some help it won't take too long!


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:22 PM.