Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Hearing the stereo (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/hearing-the-stereo-237536.html)

Scootsk 04-24-2013 05:45 PM

Hearing the stereo
 
Is it possible to hear the radio when soft top is on or when top is down on highway?

n00g7 04-24-2013 05:59 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Scootsk (Post 3678129)
Is it possible to hear the radio when soft top is on or when top is down on highway?

After $800 worth of kit or if you don't go over 55mph, yes.

Edit: I lied, you can probably hear it reasonably well for $400.

Huelsmma 04-24-2013 06:08 PM

I like my tunes and drive 34k miles/yr so in my new to me Jeep I immediately installed new headunit, new speakers, new console sub & new amps. Its turned down with soft top on and is plenty loud with top & doors off. I drive highway 99% of time

I think I spent $700 for everything including all wiring and everything was quality gear.

Tdog02 04-24-2013 06:22 PM

I spent $10 on polyfill to stuff the sound bar and I can hear mine ok. The sound isn't great, I have a kenwood head unit the PO installed and the factory sub doesn't work. I plan on putting the six speaker sound bar in this year, and making the sub work. I like music clear but not loud. I have a soft top and with it on it sounds louder than when the top down.

jp2611 04-24-2013 06:28 PM

I went over kill...installed a bunch of extra speakers made to fit in a Jeep and a new head unit....top down or up no difference I can hear it fine...even with Safari half open and wind wiping pretty good.


I have 17 speakers, and an Amp, max volume is 50...with top up or down around town about 12-15 highway about 20 top up about 28-30 top down

OhSixTJ 04-24-2013 06:31 PM

Upgraded to infinity speakers in stock locations, new head unit just to control xm and iPod, no extra amps. I hear it just fine at any speed

sparky 04-25-2013 10:53 AM

Stock radio and dash speakers, no sound bar. Can hear it fine, top up or down, windows in or out, doors off or on.

Scootsk 04-25-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 3681107)
Stock radio and dash speakers, no sound bar. Can hear it fine, top up or down, windows in or out, doors off or on.

Great hearing!

sparky 04-25-2013 05:09 PM

Tell my wife that. :)

n00g7 04-25-2013 05:58 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sparky (Post 3681107)
Stock radio and dash speakers, no sound bar. Can hear it fine, top up or down, windows in or out, doors off or on.


Self imposed 25mph speed limit?

lindel 04-25-2013 06:05 PM

$80 on a Kenwood head unit, another $35 for some Pioneer 6.5" speakers in the soundbar, and about $15 for 5.25" adapters for the front speakers (PO had installed some 5.25" Cerwin Vegas in the sound bar) and I can hear it just fine with the top on or off, at highway speeds.

JimsJeep 04-25-2013 07:19 PM

What radio

lindel 04-25-2013 07:23 PM

KDC-248u

Got it from Quadratec. It might have been discontinued, but the KDC-255u seems to have the same features.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/96086_0020.htm

Pink_Percy 04-25-2013 07:25 PM

Stock everything. Sounds fine to me.

cjeezy 04-25-2013 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jp2611 (Post 3678284)
I went over kill...installed a bunch of extra speakers made to fit in a Jeep and a new head unit....top down or up no difference I can hear it fine...even with Safari half open and wind wiping pretty good.

I have 17 speakers, and an Amp, max volume is 50...with top up or down around town about 12-15 highway about 20 top up about 28-30 top down

Where the hell do you put 17 speakers?!?!? Lol

ThatJeeperGuy 04-25-2013 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Huelsmma (Post 3678210)
I like my tunes and drive 34k miles/yr so in my new to me Jeep I immediately installed new headunit, new speakers, new console sub & new amps. Its turned down with soft top on and is plenty loud with top & doors off. I drive highway 99% of time

I think I spent $700 for everything including all wiring and everything was quality gear.

Thats a lot of mileage dude!!! how do you foot the gas bill? :punk: just kidding! None of us have bought the jeep for its mileage.

On a serious note seems like you have a great set up, would you please share the details?

Horn5413 04-25-2013 08:38 PM

Did a lot of upgrades on mine to get good sound with the top off at speed. Sounds amazing just sitting there also.. But remember at speed in a jeep with the top off if you can hear your music so can everyone around you..:thumb:

Kota7x 04-25-2013 09:00 PM

I have the stock stereo, stock sound pod speakers, and some Polk round 5.25 speakers in the dash. I can hear the music perfectly on the freeway with the top on and off. I just added an aux port to my stock stereo so that I could play music from my iPhone.

Jnoriega23 04-29-2013 01:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kota7x (Post 3683276)
I have the stock stereo, stock sound pod speakers, and some Polk round 5.25 speakers in the dash. I can hear the music perfectly on the freeway with the top on and off. I just added an aux port to my stock stereo so that I could play music from my iPhone.

Can you tell me what product you used to add an aux port to a stock stereo?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:41 PM.