Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   gearing (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/gearing-237541.html)

justin_brown 04-24-2013 05:27 PM

gearing
 
I have an 06 wangler unlimited with the 4L straight 6... I have 33 inch tires and 4.10 gears... would it be beneficial to re gear? Like to either 4.56s or 4.88s?

jasongind 04-24-2013 05:47 PM

Are you planning to never go bigger than the 33's?

Jerry Bransford 04-24-2013 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_brown (Post 3678281)
I have an 06 wangler unlimited with the 4L straight 6... I have 33 inch tires and 4.10 gears... would it be beneficial to re gear? Like to either 4.56s or 4.88s?

So it was already regeared from the factory 3.73 to 4.10? If so, though 4.56 is optimal for 33" tires, I wouldn't suggest regearing would be worth the $1300 or so cost of regearing unless the cost is no problem. If you someday plan to go to 35" tires, that would be when it would be worth the $$$ to regear to 4.88.

justin_brown 04-24-2013 05:57 PM

My jeep is a rubicon so from the factory it came the 4.10 gears.. I mihht eventually go to 35s.. just with 4.10s and 33 I have a lack of power

Jerry Bransford 04-24-2013 07:51 PM

4.10 isn't ideal for 33" tires (my previous TJ had that combination for a while) but due to the expense of regearing, I'd wait on regearing until you go to 35's.

justin_brown 04-24-2013 08:01 PM

Are 4.88 to low of gears for 33s?

Jerry Bransford 04-24-2013 08:36 PM

4.88 would give you pretty high engine RPMs on the highway. If it's a street/highway vehicle, I don't know that you'd like the RPMs. For a trail Jeep, 4.88 would be sweet.

Missoulatj 04-24-2013 11:14 PM

Is it a manual or auto transmission? (I couldn't tell from profile) If its an auto wouldn't 4.88's be a better choice then 4.56's with 33's?

OhSixTJ 04-24-2013 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3679196)
4.88 would give you pretty high engine RPMs on the highway. If it's a street/highway vehicle, I don't know that you'd like the RPMs. For a trail Jeep, 4.88 would be sweet.

What would you recommend for 90% street/highway use and 10% mud/dirt roads/beach/maybe a rock or 2 use? 06 4.0 auto

Jerry Bransford 04-25-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OhSixTJ (Post 3679889)
What would you recommend for 90% street/highway use and 10% mud/dirt roads/beach/maybe a rock or 2 use? 06 4.0 auto

Tire size?

OhSixTJ 04-25-2013 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3680043)
Tire size?

33" that currently measure 31.5". I might go to 35s bit that will be next year.

SpoiledRotten 04-25-2013 08:49 AM

I have 33" on mine with the 4.0 and manual tranny. I love the 4.56 gears I just had put in mine. It had 3.07 so you can imagine the huge difference I felt. Great on the highway and can't wait to get to test them on the trails. I'm still in the breakin mode, and have 100 more miles to go. Lots of power from low end through 5th gear at 70 mph and about 3000 RPM. Perfect for my setup.

OhSixTJ 04-25-2013 09:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SpoiledRotten (Post 3680843)
I have 33" on mine with the 4.0 and manual tranny. I love the 4.56 gears I just had put in mine. It had 3.07 so you can imagine the huge difference I felt. Great on the highway and can't wait to get to test them on the trails. I'm still in the breakin mode, and have 100 more miles to go. Lots of power from low end through 5th gear at 70 mph and about 3000 RPM. Perfect for my setup.

3000 rpm at 70? Yikes, sounds kind of high. But what do I know...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:32 AM.