Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   LJ with a baby (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/lj-with-a-baby-237606.html)

bbrightlj 04-24-2013 09:19 PM

LJ with a baby

Hello, does anyone have any words of wisdom for a 1st time Dad with a baby on the way? I'm just getting my Jeep the way I want it and want to make it work with the baby. How Difficult is a TJ / LJ as a baby transport vehicle?

Fireaxe 04-24-2013 09:25 PM

I think you'll enjoy the LJ.....
You don't want a TJ if you plan on having baby with ya....just not enough room for the extra stuff.
Also, babies love Jeeps!

jgorm 04-24-2013 09:28 PM

you need to climb around a bit, but it's not bad. I have 2 now.

2JeepsThatRun 04-24-2013 09:29 PM

The lj will have a smoother ride for the baby as well so you don't shake the crap out of them. I guess that explains why my sister is the way she is after being driving around in a cj5 as a baby.

jeepinmike 04-25-2013 12:26 PM

I can tell you a rear facing carseat in my YJ would not work in the back, the seat bottom was not deep enough, had to use the passenger seat. I see you have an LJ. I have not tried a rear facing in the LJ, but I think it would work better. The LJ has more leg room in the back, and I think a deeper seat, which would help for fitting an infant seat.

DragonWolfJeep 04-25-2013 12:38 PM

I can say that if you use a rear facing infant to pre-k as long as its a clip into base. The base portion gets put in, then you clip in. Passenger seat must be pulled forward though. Also the stroller part of the travel system would have to be put out on a rack or a roof rack. (I recommend the one that flips over to provide shade too, if you camp or out in the woods). After that diaper "jeep" bags can be bought from walmart and you could fit 2 length wise in the back or side by side in the back seat. Which leaves room from your packs.

bbrightlj 12-18-2013 05:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Update: my little pride and joy already loves the Jeep :-)

Attachment 599073

LJEEPJ 12-18-2013 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrightlj (Post 6852873)
Update: my little pride and joy already loves the Jeep :-)

Attachment 599073

Great pic. You can see the left leg is already letting the clutch out....congrats.http://www.wranglerforum.com/images/icons/icon7.gif

2004CSOTP 12-18-2013 09:09 PM

Sounds like you are in the market for a beige minivan. Don't worry, there is life after kids.

bbrightlj 12-09-2014 08:11 PM

OffRoadToad 12-10-2014 03:58 AM

Having put my 2 mo old son in my LJ, my recommendation is definitely an infant carrier utilizing the LATCH. Also I put the carrier behind the passenger seat so that I could crawl semi into the back behind the driver's seat to get the carrier out. Trying to be on the same side as the carrier and standing outside of the jeep left it too awkward to be able to get the carrier out. Definitely doable, although not something I would personally prefer every day.

And laugh if you want about the minivan but that's the wife's car. It has Heated Seats, Heated Steering Wheel, Dual Movie Screens with the controls up front. I can open the back doors/rear door with a button. And in a matter of minutes I can have it from a 7 passenger taxi to an open space big enough for a 4x8 sheet of plywood.

I really like the LJ/minivan combination.

tank.s 12-10-2014 06:02 AM

I had a yj at the time 14 years back .it did not work for me. I had to settle for a 4 door car as my wife deemed the jeep not safe for a baby. So I had to sell. That put some tears in my eyes.

pvansch1 12-10-2014 06:40 AM

It's been years for me with kids in car seats. I had a Bronco II and it was tough rear facing, but once they were old enough for forward facing it worked. Strapped them in and off road we went.
Shop for you seats, not all will be huge and bulky. The important factor is getting the base installed securely.
Thoughts on ease of access, go over the seat from the back.

bbrightlj 03-12-2015 07:14 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Ok, my son is almost 2 and my LJ has proven to make a fine baby hauler. My son absolutely loves going for rides in our Jeep. I just found out we have twins on the way so it looks like I'll have to sell our LJ and buy a JKU. If anyone is in the market for an awesome LJ pm me. Thanks!

Attachment 1986761

ZoranZ 03-12-2015 09:20 PM

What baby seat did you use I your lj

Joey330 03-12-2015 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbrightlj (Post 17617617)
Ok, my son is almost 2 and my LJ has proven to make a fine baby hauler. My son absolutely loves going for rides in our Jeep. I just found out we have twins on the way so it looks like I'll have to sell our LJ and buy a JKU. If anyone is in the market for an awesome LJ pm me. Thanks!

Price and location

TrumpetRider 03-13-2015 06:12 AM

Picked up my jeep after my son graduated out of the removable infant car seat.
I second the fact that it was far easier to retrieve him out of the jeep over the rear seat and out the back :)

Being 6'3 makes it.... Interesting getting him and myself out through the front doors :p

BigDeaner 03-13-2015 09:47 AM

Quote:

Tried PMing you, but your mailbox was full... I'd love some more info on it.

Price, miles, location, transmission, etc.

Lemme know!

Green03TJ 03-13-2015 10:09 AM

My 20 month old rides in my TJ a lot. When she was in the infant seat with the base I would put her in through the door. Now that she's rear facing in the convertible seat its easiest to put her in from the back. Don't know how it'll be when we go front facing. Anyway, it may not be the most practical, but its doable. Of course we have a Grand Cherokee that's our primary family vehicle, so it gets all the long trips. Oh and like the others said, the front seat will have limited movement when the child seat is rear facing, so keep that in mind when choosing a child seat.

kdawgg11 03-13-2015 12:56 PM

I am going though the same questions I just found out we are expecting our first child and I don't have a LJ and was wondering if there is room for me to get a infant and stuff in there or not. Just getting my jeep where I want it and don't want to get away from my jeep but thought a 4 door would be better but I like my TJ

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

PhotoTrail 03-13-2015 04:57 PM

Had a minivan during my kids' infant years (traded in my Chevy Blazer for it....argh!!), as well as a Suburban. I'm no help here.

However, now that my kids are teenagers, they really like the Jeep. The lack of time with Jeeps can be made up quickly, you just can't make up for missed time with the kids. Whatever you drive, spend time with those kiddos.

ZoranZ 03-13-2015 08:53 PM

Seat make and models please.

WranglinTexan 03-13-2015 09:58 PM

You Inbox is Full

Quote:

Attachment 1986761

It wont let me PM you. I am assuming it is because you have many people asking about your Jeep.

If you make it though the list and get to me, I would love to talk to you more about it. PM me if so.

bbrightlj 04-05-2015 06:36 PM

Sold the LJ and bought a JKU.

Chunderboy 04-07-2015 09:45 AM

I have a little dude and another on the way, thats why I am keeping my WK2.. Of course dad needs a little time away so I am also considering a 2005 wrangler.. Too lazy to move the car seats to the new jeep (possibly getting it), so the WK2 will be the kid hauler for the time being..