Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Gator Grip Sockets yes or no? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/gator-grip-sockets-yes-or-no-237792.html)

BONDS415 04-25-2013 06:40 PM

Gator Grip Sockets yes or no?

after dealing with several stripped and rounded off bolts in my tj been looking to get a one of gator grip sockets

havent heard much about em hoping to get some input before i invest $9 into one of their sockets

DocterWrangler 04-25-2013 07:40 PM

I've used them before and they are not the best. Although they work ok for stripped heads if they aren't too tight. You can't use them to to break a bolt loose. But they work in a pinch.

Patrick H 04-25-2013 07:43 PM

No. Use good quality sockets and you won't have rounded bolt heads to begin with..;)

workshop4ever 04-25-2013 08:15 PM

Nope. Last time I used one to try to remove a bolt I broke the little pins that make up the socket. If the head on your bolt is already stripped, I imagine you will do the same when you put any kind of torque on it.

If you were working on a bunch of new nuts/bolts of different sizes I bet the gator grip sockets would help speed things up. But any time you have to put some real force into it, forget it!

Jerry Bransford 04-25-2013 08:19 PM

Don't waste your time/$$$ with junk technology sockets like those. Get yourself a good quality set of 6-point sockets & you won't have to worry about rounded off bolt heads or nuts. For the $$$ and for the average weekend wrencher, it's hard to beat Craftsman 6 point sockets.

Gold Miner 04-25-2013 08:26 PM

Also...
I highly recommend a set of flex ratchet wrenches for more confined areas. I did a 4.0 engine swap and used these where the sockets couldn't reach. Couldn't have done it without them. Most of the time they're faster than sockets.
Like these: Titan Flex Ratcheting Wrenches 12-Pc. Metric Set, Model# 17367 | Flex Ratcheting Wrench Sets| Northern Tool + Equipment

Patrick H 04-25-2013 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3683383)
Don't waste your time/$$$ with junk technology sockets like those. Get yourself a good quality set of 6-point sockets & you won't have to worry about rounded off bolt heads or nuts. For the $$$ and for the average weekend wrencher, it's hard to beat Craftsman 6 point sockets.

Yes, I forgot to add, I strongly prefer 6 point sockets.

UnlimitedLJ04 04-25-2013 09:19 PM

i've got one someplace....i've used it so infrequently i don't really care if it's lost...

BONDS415 04-25-2013 10:08 PM

thanks for input fellas saved me some $ thats btter spent elsewhere

JakeBreen 04-25-2013 10:11 PM

Usually I try to use the most american made tools that I can. Although, I carry a Kobalt wrench and ratchet set in my TJ, and I honestly prefer Kobalt over Snap-on, and even Craftsman. Craftsman is now a China based company.

Patrick H 04-25-2013 10:33 PM

I have a fairly new set of Craftsman sockets here at home (99% of my tools at work are Snap-On) that say Made in USA on them. They aren't the same quality of Craftsman tools of yore. The 1/4" drive ratchet I got at the same time was junk from the get-go. I have a bunch of Craftsman tools from the mid 80's, and they're OK. I tried Craftsman ratchets at work about 15 years ago, and they're OK for occasional use, but they do not stand up to 5 day a week, 8-10 hour day use. They last about two months max.

Whoops, didn't intend to start a tool brand debate..:)

Derp 04-26-2013 10:24 AM

This is not tj tech.

If you're stripping anything you're not doing it right.

geiman 04-26-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Derp (Post 3685614)
This is not tj tech.

It's as technical as most anything on here; it's WranglerForum, not Pirate4x4.

Regardless of how good your tools are or how great of a mechanic you are, if your Jeep had a previous owner it shouldn't be shocking to come upon a badly stripped/rounded bolt.

Personally I like having both 6 and 12 point sockets; when you have to deal with very rounded/torn up bolts I've found that having both can be handy. Sometimes one or the other is able to get a better grip. I've used some of the bolt extractors with good luck as well, although I've had just as many times where they didn't work.

The best thing I ever bought for dealing with this kind of stuff is a welder. It's much easier to just weld a nut onto the top of the rounded bolt and easily turn it out. Plus the heat helps loosen up the bolt.

Derp 04-26-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by geiman (Post 3685745)

It's as technical as most anything on here; it's WranglerForum, not Pirate4x4.

Regardless of how good your tools are or how great of a mechanic you are, if your Jeep had a previous owner it shouldn't be shocking to come upon a badly stripped/rounded bolt.

Personally I like having both 6 and 12 point sockets; when you have to deal with very rounded/torn up bolts I've found that having both can be handy. Sometimes one or the other is able to get a better grip. I've used some of the bolt extractors with good luck as well, although I've had just as many times where they didn't work.

The best thing I ever bought for dealing with this kind of stuff is a welder. It's much easier to just weld a nut onto the top of the rounded bolt and easily turn it out. Plus the heat helps loosen up the bolt.

Alright I'll roll with it.

Both 6 and 12 point are great to have, and you'll get by just fine with some snap ons.

If the PO stripped bolts, you can drill and tap, weld a nut, or try to man handle it out.