Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Tj gas tank access panel (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/tj-gas-tank-access-panel-237851.html)

wa_troop 04-25-2013 11:46 PM

Tj gas tank access panel

Would I be able to make an access point to maybe be able to disconnect lines or change a fuel pump easier they r in the tank right? Anyways just a random thought I had any info is good info thanks :)

Black Magic Brakes 04-26-2013 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wa_troop (Post 3684237)
Would I be able to make an access point to maybe be able to disconnect lines or change a fuel pump easier they r in the tank right? Anyways just a random thought I had any info is good info thanks :)

You can, but, the tank is so easy to R&R that I can't justify ruining a tub to do it.

UnlimitedLJ04 04-26-2013 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Black Magic Brakes (Post 3685335)
You can, but, the tank is so easy to R&R that I can't justify ruining a tub to do it.

x2...why would to ruin the tub? :facepalm: kinda like using a shotgun as a fly swatter.

T2000J 04-26-2013 10:07 AM

6 nuts ,filler neck, ground strap , One electrical and Fuel lines she'll come right out .

I've been using the 300 blackout for the flys

Neil F. 04-26-2013 10:12 AM

Like said above, dropping the tank is easy. The likelyhood of need to do the work you listed is NOT worth the effort to lower the tank, cut a hole, fab up a panel you can close (and a weak point in the tub if you put items there) then put everything back.

wa_troop 04-26-2013 11:03 AM

Oh okay haven't dropped mine yet so didn't know how easy it was

obidya 09-11-2013 10:51 AM

I wouldn't call dropping the tank "easy" granted yes its 7 carriage bolts, 8 screws on the for the filler neck, gas line, electrical plug, and breather hose... BUT man that can be heavy and awkward to deal with, especially if you have gas in the tank when you need to drop it.

There is a support bar in the way of making a direct access point but I have been contemplating a way to add a small re-enforced access panel to behind that in order to get to the pump / pressure regulator. Mine has gone out twice since owning the jeep and although its not a "terrible" job, its no fun. Plus being able to deal with that on the trails would be nice, a clogged fuel filter 400 miles from home is not a good time.

wa_troop 09-11-2013 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obidya (Post 4475001)
I wouldn't call dropping the tank "easy" granted yes its 7 carriage bolts, 8 screws on the for the filler neck, gas line, electrical plug, and breather hose... BUT man that can be heavy and awkward to deal with, especially if you have gas in the tank when you need to drop it.

There is a support bar in the way of making a direct access point but I have been contemplating a way to add a small re-enforced access panel to behind that in order to get to the pump / pressure regulator. Mine has gone out twice since owning the jeep and although its not a "terrible" job, its no fun. Plus being able to deal with that on the trails would be nice, a clogged fuel filter 400 miles from home is not a good time.

That's smart it would def be great for trail fixes

brs256 09-11-2013 09:48 PM

if I can drop a full tank by myself and reinstall , u don't need an acess panel

obidya 09-11-2013 09:55 PM

Its not that it can't be done or that its even overly hard, It's just not pleasant.. I did it twice last weekend by myself (dont ask). The second time only took me about an hour from parking to cleaning up and I still had half a tank of gas.

My main thought is for ease of access to the fuel pump and pressure regulator for regular maint or trail abuse. I had popped the ring off my tank bottoming out on some rocks out on the trail (presumably, my skid caused issues it may have been loose for months in all honesty) I ended up getting mud and water in the tank which made it difficult to get home. If I had an access panel I could have dealt with it at camp and just been on my way.

There is a support beam in the tub directly above the tank, It would make a great spot to weld on a hinge and it would help keep the access panel rigid, weld a lip around the rest of the spot you cut out and add a locking pin and your good to go. Im going to try and talk a welder buddy of mine into it. If it works out and is as easy as I hope I'll put up some dimensions and pics.

wa_troop 09-11-2013 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by obidya (Post 4495521)
Its not that it can't be done or that its even overly hard, It's just not pleasant.. I did it twice last weekend by myself (dont ask). The second time only took me about an hour from parking to cleaning up and I still had half a tank of gas.

My main thought is for ease of access to the fuel pump and pressure regulator for regular maint or trail abuse. I had popped the ring off my tank bottoming out on some rocks out on the trail (presumably, my skid caused issues it may have been loose for months in all honesty) I ended up getting mud and water in the tank which made it difficult to get home. If I had an access panel I could have dealt with it at camp and just been on my way.

There is a support beam in the tub directly above the tank, It would make a great spot to weld on a hinge and it would help keep the access panel rigid, weld a lip around the rest of the spot you cut out and add a locking pin and your good to go. Im going to try and talk a welder buddy of mine into it. If it works out and is as easy as I hope I'll put up some dimensions and pics.

Awesome thanks

jeepwayoflife 09-11-2013 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UnlimitedLJ04 (Post 3685348)
x2...why would to ruin the tub? :facepalm: kinda like using a shotgun as a fly swatter.

Hey that kind of sounds fun... use sand for the shot? ;)

2manyrides 09-11-2013 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T2000J (Post 3685563)
6 nuts ,filler neck, ground strap , One electrical and Fuel lines she'll come right out .

I've been using the 300 blackout for the flys

Another good use for the black out lol!