Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   D44 swap (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/d44-swap-237884.html)

elclipo 04-26-2013 07:59 AM

D44 swap
 
So I am looking into a D44 swap for the future. I figured the swap would be money better spent than fixing/upgrading a D35.

I found a D44 at a local yard with the same ratio I have now making it a perfect swap-in for $780. Does that sound about right? Never priced one so I don't know if that is a low/avg/high price.

GoldenSahara00 04-26-2013 08:00 AM

That's a good price. It's from a Tj/Lj?

elclipo 04-26-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goldensahara00 (Post 3685129)
that's a good price. It's from a tj/lj?

98 tj

GoldenSahara00 04-26-2013 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elclipo (Post 3685135)

98 tj

Better go get it before I get it first! Jk. Yep that's a pretty fair deal on it.

elclipo 04-26-2013 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3685136)
Better go get it before I get it first! Jk. Yep that's a pretty fair deal on it.

Just found another one for $700 off a 2004. This one has disc brakes. It says it has Trac-Lok. Is that a locker or limited slip?

beaureed445 04-26-2013 08:10 AM

JEEZ!!!! Why can't I find deals like that in my area. I can't find a good used D44, 8.8, 9", or ANYTHING!

elclipo 04-26-2013 08:18 AM

I just started searching today and these popped up lol I wonder if I can make a deal to trade my D35 for it, + cash of course.

Would the disc brake system bolt in? I have drum brakes now but don't know much about their differences as far as connections go.

hosejockey61 04-26-2013 08:32 AM

I think those are fair deals from what I have seen on CL in the Denver area. I got lucky and picked up a Rubicon D44 with locker, chromoly axles, and a spare set of factory front and rear axles for $600. I think that is the exception rather than the rule though...

beaureed445 04-26-2013 09:31 AM

How hard would it be to "convert" a JK D44 to fit a TJ?

elclipo 04-26-2013 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hosejockey61 (Post 3685234)
I think those are fair deals from what I have seen on CL in the Denver area. I got lucky and picked up a Rubicon D44 with locker, chromoly axles, and a spare set of factory front and rear axles for $600. I think that is the exception rather than the rule though...

Yeah there's no way I would find such a deal here I don't think.

MFsoftball22 04-26-2013 09:46 AM

I have a 2005 TJ. If i wanted to do a D44 rear axle swap, could i use a D44 from any TJ Wrangler and have it bolt up? Also could i use a D44 from a Grand Cherokee and would it bolt up? What year ranges etc?

elclipo 04-26-2013 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MFsoftball22 (Post 3685486)
I have a 2005 TJ. If i wanted to do a D44 rear axle swap, could i use a D44 from any TJ Wrangler and have it bolt up? Also could i use a D44 from a Grand Cherokee and would it bolt up? What year ranges etc?

The TJ D44 should bolt in. The only thing that I am not sure about is the brake configurations (disc vs. drum) although I would think/hope the lines would plug right in.

It is my understanding the Cherokees have leaf springs in the rear.

MFsoftball22 04-26-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elclipo (Post 3685497)
The TJ D44 should bolt in. The only thing that I am not sure about is the brake configurations (disc vs. drum) although I would think/hope the lines would plug right in.

It is my understanding the Cherokees have leaf springs in the rear.

Not all Cherokee's have Leaf springs in the rear. Some do have coil springs i am just not sure if they would be bolt up. I figured all the TJ D44 would bolt on i just wanted to make sure that they didnt change any bracketry throughout the years that they made the TJ.

elclipo 04-26-2013 11:01 AM

Learn something new every day. I thought all Cherokees had leafs.

I am no expert but I believe the brackets should all be the same. I can only assume so seeing that bracket kits are for 97-06.

GoldenSahara00 04-26-2013 11:52 AM

The d44 from the cherrys is junk, it's an aluminum housing or some other nonsense if memory serves.

I believe the brakes should be very easy to change from drum to disc.

elclipo 04-26-2013 11:56 AM

I just called the one with disc brakes. He said that although the parts are there he is not sure the calipers themselves would work.

GoldenSahara00 04-26-2013 02:51 PM

It's easy to swap a ford 8.8 w/ discs into a tj, should be simple for the tj as well. get the brake lines etc as well. I haven't done it specifically or I could give you more info. Try google.

elclipo 04-26-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3686603)
It's easy to swap a ford 8.8 w/ discs into a tj, should be simple for the tj as well. get the brake lines etc as well. I haven't done it specifically or I could give you more info. Try google.

I looked around and it seems to be a piece of cake. New lines (and probably calipers) would be part of this deal if I do it.

Now to go convince the wife that I need it :D

GoldenSahara00 04-26-2013 03:15 PM

I'd just reuse the calipers if they are in good shape. Lines are cheap.

elclipo 04-26-2013 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3686662)
I'd just reuse the calipers if they are in good shape. Lines are cheap.

The plan would be to reuse them if they work, but the guy at the yard says the axle itself has been tested (don't know to what extent) but the brakes have not.

GoldenSahara00 04-26-2013 05:52 PM

They should be fine. Take a look at them. I'm reusing the ones on the 8.8 I'm building. There's not much to go wrong w/ them.

GoldenSahara00 04-27-2013 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3685963)
The d44 from the cherrys is junk, it's an aluminum housing or some other nonsense if memory serves.

I believe the brakes should be very easy to change from drum to disc.

This is grand cherry (zj) not xj, wanted to clarify my mistake.

elclipo 08-12-2013 11:27 AM

Been a while since I written on this thread but why make a new one right?

I found a 44 today with a brand new Allow USA chromoly shaft kit for $800 for the lot. Open 3.73 carrier, same I have on my current setup.

May have to go take a look at it this weekend

http://images.craigslist.org/00R0R_k...Nv_600x450.jpg

GoldenSahara00 08-12-2013 11:41 AM

I'd seriously be all over that if I were you. Granted I have just over 600 into my 8.8 and it's pretty much all new brake parts+truss etc, that's still an AWESOME deal for a d44 and no work required on your end other than a little refreshing.

elclipo 08-12-2013 12:05 PM

Since I have never bought an axle, what should I be looking for and or how do I check things to make sure they are in good shape?

GoldenSahara00 08-12-2013 12:19 PM

Well you can take the cover off and check out the ring/pinion gears for chips and look at the spider gears for wear although they can be replaced pretty easy/cheap or with a locker. You can pull the shafts if you feel the need to check the splines but they should be good if he just pulled the axle out of a rig. If you are reusing the brakes look at them but that kind of stuff can sort of be expected to need refreshed. Look over the brackets etc for really bad rust as in through the metal, not just surface rust. Look over it make sure tubes don't appear bent although sometimes that's hard to ascertain.

elclipo 08-12-2013 12:54 PM

Just looked up the price of the shaft kit alone and wow. I just need to figure out the logistics for this.

GoldenSahara00 08-12-2013 02:31 PM

Go to the axle. Buy the axle. Take the axle home. Clean up, paint, and install the axle. :thumb:

elclipo 08-12-2013 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 4069693)
Go to the axle. Buy the axle. Take the axle home. Clean up, paint, and install the axle. :thumb:

The bold part is the hard part. About 400 miles give or take. I am going past there this weekend but the time I have available to stop by is when they are closed. More planning required.

Otherwise I like your plan :D

GoldenSahara00 08-12-2013 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elclipo (Post 4069839)

The bold part is the hard part. About 400 miles give or take. I am going past there this weekend but the time I have available to stop by is when they are closed. More planning required.

Otherwise I like your plan :D

How much are you missing the window by? Maybe they will make an exception if you bring cash ;)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:35 AM.