Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Fold and tumble rear seat (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/fold-and-tumble-rear-seat-237950.html)

Mjc1976 04-26-2013 03:54 PM

Fold and tumble rear seat

I don't know if anyone's has this problem but my fold and tumble seat wouldn't release on the passanger side I tried lubing it up didn't work I noticed the the claw on that side wasn't retracting as far as the other one. The only way I could release it was with needle nose pliers got kinda annoyed with that so Instead I drilled a little hole in the claw and feed a lanyard through the kind for your keys worked like a charm hope this helps someone

commodore_dude 04-27-2013 01:20 PM

I'd be interested as to where exactly you used the pliers. Mine has been completely frozen for over a year (the latch at the top of the seat doesn't pull up at all, and I can't get the cables below it to pull up any either when I take the back of the upholstery off), and I haven't been able to figure out how to release it (there's a really obnoxious rattling sound around 45mph coming from somewhere behind the driver's seat, and I'd like to actually get the back seat all the way out to see if that's the source).

PiePuncher 04-27-2013 02:30 PM

There is a small lever above the big one that will break your seat free

Mjc1976 04-27-2013 10:44 PM

Can you get the seat to fold forward at all? If you can then get a pair if needle nose go on the bottom left and right of your seat there's a hook you can pull back towards the rear of the jeep that should get it to let go.

PiePuncher 04-27-2013 10:57 PM

Oh chit, u said rear seat!!!! I'm sorry.... The front seats have the small tab

Neil F. 04-29-2013 05:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mjc1976 (Post 3686808)
I don't know if anyone's has this problem but my fold and tumble seat wouldn't release on the passanger side I tried lubing it up didn't work I noticed the the claw on that side wasn't retracting as far as the other one. The only way I could release it was with needle nose pliers got kinda annoyed with that so Instead I drilled a little hole in the claw and feed a lanyard through the kind for your keys worked like a charm hope this helps someone

What year is your TJ? 97-02, 03-06 latches are different. I had the same problem with my 03. For whatever reason, my latch on one side just stopped opening up enough. I took a grinder to the latch to open it up a little so it would clear when I lift the handle.

Mjc1976 04-29-2013 11:38 PM

Mines

Mjc1976 04-29-2013 11:43 PM

My jeeps an 03 and it did the same thing just stopped releasing on one said I thought about grinding it down but instead I did what I described above works perfectly now

Neil F. 04-30-2013 05:10 AM

I have a security trunk installed so getting at the latch involved removing the trunk. After I took down thew latch a couple years ago, it has not stuck.