Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   found a bikini top on CL but (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/found-a-bikini-top-on-cl-but-238059.html)

Heidi Ho 04-27-2013 07:44 AM

found a bikini top on CL but
 
it says 97 - 02 ... and it comes with the no drill window channel.... I thought they went from 97- 06 thoughts

03 sahara jeeper 04-27-2013 08:48 AM

If I remember correctly the difference is the 03 to 06 have thicker roll bar padding. I don't think that should be a problem for a bikini top.

BLK00TJ 04-27-2013 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidi Ho (Post 3688804)
it says 97 - 02 ... and it comes with the no drill window channel.... I thought they went from 97- 06 thoughts

The thicker rollbar padding on the 03-06 required a change on bikini tops since they wrap around them. I got my bikini top from someone who ordered the wrong one. His was an '04, mine is a '00.

03 sahara jeeper 04-27-2013 08:58 AM

Sorry for the wrong information.

Heidi Ho 04-27-2013 11:09 AM

so it wont fit ?

BLK00TJ 04-27-2013 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Heidi Ho (Post 3689222)
so it wont fit ?

Not if you have a 03-06 TJ. You could maybe not use the part that wraps around the side rollbars but they are so cheap why not get one that works.

Heidi Ho 04-27-2013 04:57 PM

true..... I guess ill just by a new one...

Hardermods 05-18-2013 09:55 AM

Not to thread jack but same topic.

I have an 01 and could get a whole bikini, tonneau and windjammer kit for really cheap but it says its for an 03 - 06. Would it just be really loose on mine cause the rollbar padding? Or is the other concerns?

Gold Miner 05-18-2013 10:30 AM

Coincidentally..... I'm in the process of making my own today (channel-less).
Just got back from the hardware store with screen, grommets, carpet tape and bungee (about $20 worth of stuff). Pretty easy DIY mod for a nice day like today I'm thinking.

novi306 05-18-2013 12:17 PM

Gold miner ,post it up when your done !

Gold Miner 05-19-2013 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novi306 (Post 3768579)
Gold miner ,post it up when your done !

You got it....
This is what I came up with. The fiberglass carpet tape did not work very well for seam material. I went with 3" wide Gorilla Tape folded upon itself (sandwiching the screen) for the final seams and they are tuff. The screen material is typical black vinyl widow screen which I bought at Ace Hardware for 99 cents per linear foot @ 48" wide. So.... 3ft for about $3 and I trimmed it to size. The bungee loop/ball things were cheap. I got a bag of 25 for about $10 and can use the rest of them for other projects. Mine came in 8" length and they're easy to cut down to a smaller size. Grommets were inexpensive also.
Anyway... this is what it looks like and it works really well so far. Nice and tight. No front channel.

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ps27f14d4e.jpg

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y18...ps7a16f0f9.jpg

Pink_Percy 05-19-2013 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Miner (Post 3772233)
You got it....
This is what I came up with. The fiberglass carpet tape did not work very well for seam material. I went with 3" wide Gorilla Tape folded upon itself (sandwiching the screen) for the final seams and they are tuff. The screen material is typical black vinyl widow screen which I bought at Ace Hardware for 99 cents per linear foot @ 48" wide. So.... 3ft for about $3 and I trimmed it to size. The bungee loop/ball things were cheap. I got a bag of 25 for about $10 and can use the rest of them for other projects. Mine came in 8" length and they're easy to cut down to a smaller size. Grommets were inexpensive also.
Anyway... this is what it looks like and it works really well so far. Nice and tight. No front channel.

I've been trying to make my own for a while now and u just gave me a whole set of ideas. Great job, thanks for sharing the info

Gold Miner 05-20-2013 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pink_Percy (Post 3772419)
I've been trying to make my own for a while now and u just gave me a whole set of ideas. Great job, thanks for sharing the info

Thanks! Would like to see what you come up with as well. :popcorn:

AppleRock 05-20-2013 01:33 PM

I tried a few different bikini tops. The windshield header channel was always a PITA, because I still have a factory soft top. No channel needed with that.
Solution:
TJ | SpiderWebShade.com

Don't need a windshield channel, and the soft top will go right over it. No need to remove bikini top except to wash.

They make 2 "quality levels". The Ultra mesh (cheaper) and the Trail Mesh (more $$). I have the cheap one, and it is fine.....

novi306 05-20-2013 01:59 PM

Gold Miner, that looks killer !!

Gold Miner 05-20-2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by novi306 (Post 3774871)
Gold Miner, that looks killer !!

Thanks!
... but I woke up to 4" of snow on it this morning. grrrrrr, wet seats
Old Man Winter and I are still having it out. I refuse to put my hardtop back on right now, no way.
So, I quickly fabricated a cab cover for it this morning out of common tarp and hook bungees. :punk:
Let it snow, let it snow, let it snow......... :whistling:

Pink_Percy 05-27-2013 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Miner (Post 3773955)
Thanks! Would like to see what you come up with as well. :popcorn:



Attachment 254366

Took an old soft top I had laying, removed frame, but kept windshield channel, cut to size, wrapped edges with gorilla tape, punched in grommets and strapped down with straps I made. Total cost, $21 bucks. 75 mph on the highway no problems. A little flapping but I'm not concerned.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:48 PM.


User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2015 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.