Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   Manual transmission whine...I may have caused it. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/manual-transmission-whine-i-may-have-caused-it-238080.html)

rs90808 04-27-2013 11:37 AM

Manual transmission whine...I may have caused it.
 
Hello all,

I have recently installed a B&M sport shifter on my 2003 Wrangler X 4.0L. Install went fine but like an idiot, I decided to use the stock rubber gasket instead of using RTV like the instructions say. It was in great condition and I honestly thought it would be the better choice. The test drive went well...everything fine.

Took a 100 mile drive the next day. When stopped at a light, the rubber gasket blew in half and the transmission released most of its fluid right there. Less than a quarter mile down the road was a gas station, so I limped it there without an issue.

I was able to complete the repair in the parking lot, using RTV and re filling the tranny with gear oil. Instantly, there was an obvious whine. Mostly through 1st and 2nd. I drove it home without any other issue.

The next day, I thoroughly pressure washed the undercarriage and drained the fluid again. I replaced it with Royal Purple Synchromax...was hoping this may fix the noise. No change...the whine is still there.

Any ideas? Did I ruin something?

rs90808 04-27-2013 09:18 PM

Anyone have any ideas? I'd like to know if I am okay to continue driving it like normal or if I should be worried.

Thanks again!

Jerry Bransford 04-27-2013 09:21 PM

Exactly what lube did you refill it with? And what gasket are you talking about? I thought a B&M Sport Shifter was strictly installed onto the top of the transmission, I don't understand how the gasket blew & spewed so much of the lubricant out.

rs90808 04-27-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3690552)
Exactly what lube did you refill it with? And what gasket are you talking about? I thought a B&M Sport Shifter was strictly installed onto the top of the transmission, I don't understand how the gasket blew & spewed so much of the lubricant out.

Thanks for your time Jerry! It was the only gear oil that Napa had on their shelves. Just wanted to get it in to make it home. This stuff here:

http://i1043.photobucket.com/albums/...psd7512ca3.jpg

I am talking about the OEM rubber gasket/seal that is between the shifter and the transmission. I was supposed to use RTV and tighten the new shifter to the tranny, but instead, I utilized that original rubber. I must've simply tightened it too much because the base of the shifter more or less just sliced right through it. Since that rubber was so thick, once it tore, the fluid had a decent gap to some through... I hope that makes sense.

BFV 05-13-2013 12:32 PM

Did you ever find a solution to your whine? This weekend, after a 90 mile interstate trip, my 1999 Wrangler 4.0 started doing the same thing. Whining through first and second, but once I put the clutch in it stops. I don't think I notice the sound past third due to road noise, but I believe it may still be there. Any luck on yours?

rs90808 05-13-2013 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BFV (Post 3750631)
Did you ever find a solution to your whine? This weekend, after a 90 mile interstate trip, my 1999 Wrangler 4.0 started doing the same thing. Whining through first and second, but once I put the clutch in it stops. I don't think I notice the sound past third due to road noise, but I believe it may still be there. Any luck on yours?

No luck at all unfortunately. I'm going to replace the fluid again this weekend and pull off the shifter. Not only is there the terrible whine, the shifter started rattling like crazy.

Jerry Bransford 05-13-2013 02:09 PM

That NAPA gear lube was not the right lubricant. Its viscosity is too high and it is a standard GL-5 which is not recommended for manual transmissions. For 2003 and newer transmissions, I'd use Redline MTL, Royal Purple Synchromax, or Amsoil (not GM or Pennzoil) Synchromesh.

rs90808 05-13-2013 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3750915)
That NAPA gear lube was not the right lubricant. Its viscosity is too high and it is a standard GL-5 which is not recommended for manual transmissions. For 2003 and newer transmissions, I'd use Redline MTL, Royal Purple Synchromax, or Amsoil (not GM or Pennzoil) Synchromesh.

I had replaced it again with RP Synchromax as soon as I got home that day. The NAPA gear lube was only in for 100 miles.

TJProblems 02-04-2014 11:30 PM

were there any solutions? i rebuilt the ax5 in mine and it made that noise the second i took it out for a spin. changed the oil about 1000 miles later and put in synchromesh. almost a year later, the noise is still there. should i be worried? It hasn't gotten any worse..

rs90808 02-04-2014 11:57 PM

I never solved it...wish I could. Still whines.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:57 PM.