Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Winch on stock bumper? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/winch-on-stock-bumper-238214.html)

TomL 04-27-2013 11:40 PM

Winch on stock bumper?
 
1 Attachment(s)
Hi guys! So I've been browsing these forums for a while now, and I see that a lot of you guys have winches on your Jeeps. However, I don't think I've seen any mounted on the stock bumper.

I'm thinking that a good winch is a pretty smart addition to my Jeep, especially if I ever get stuck. So, I have a few questions for you guys. What is the best value winch I can get in no specific price range? Does the added weight on the front significantly impact handling? (I have a 2 door) Also, I'm not really looking to replace my front bumper, so is there a good way to mount a winch to the stock bumper?

Whatever input I can get is greatly appreciated! Thanks guys!

Farnham21 04-28-2013 12:19 AM

Bunch of winch plates available for front bumper that's all you need plus a winch, but the added weight will droop your front (more than it already is) and give you a raked look. If you pop the winch on and don't like the new look, no biggie you can buy coil spacers to add height to the front springs and level yourself back out. Teraflex sells there famous leveling kit for like $150 shipped and would help a little keeping your factory stance

Barmanvarn 04-28-2013 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by farnham21 (Post 3691351)
bunch of winch plates available for front bumper that's all you need plus a winch, but the added weight will droop your front (more than it already is) and give you a raked look. If you pop the winch on and don't like the new look, no biggie you can buy coil spacers to add height to the front springs and level yourself back out. Teraflex sells there famous leveling kit for like $150 shipped and would help a little keeping your factory stance

x2

crawlin_archer 04-28-2013 12:35 AM

Here's my wife's JK & this is on of the best bang for your buck winch set-ups IMO. The winch is a Smittybilt XRC8000 which is $299 & the winch mount kit is from Rough Country for $145. Thats less then $500 for a winch set-up. Quadratec has a winch for $295 but it's a 9000lb & the Smitty is an 8000lb.
http://www.freeimagehosting.net/t/86uf6.jpg

Farnham21 04-28-2013 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crawlin_archer (Post 3691387)
Here's my wife's JK & this is on of the best bang for your buck winch set-ups IMO. The winch is a Smittybilt XRC8000 which is $299 & the winch mount kit is from Rough Country for $145. Thats less then $500 for a winch set-up. Quadratec has a winch for $295 but it's a 9000lb & the Smitty is an 8000lb.

Um.... So why would the 8000 be a better deal when you want the most lb when dealing with a winch? :confused: I think your trying to convince yourself you got the best deal lol actually on amazon the rugged ridge 8000 lb winch is like $260 right now shipped :thumb:

chipmonk66gt 04-28-2013 01:34 AM

I did just that, only added a winch not bumple and winch. It dropped my front guessing .5 inch with a 2in AEV. Much more of bumper. I did quadratec for the price - no issues yet, seems to be well made. Jeep hasn't been stuck to date.

TomL 04-28-2013 11:38 AM

Thanks for the help guys! So the Teraflex kit looks like something that would work well for me. I'm also thinking of moving up to 33" tires down the line. If I get the Teraflex kit, would I be able to install 33" KM2's successfully without any rubbing?

d_rehmann 04-28-2013 11:49 AM

How would the coil spacers work with a lift? I am running a teraflex 2.5" lift and trying to avoid having to mess with the guts if I wanted to add the coil lift.

Iinferno 04-28-2013 12:31 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is a great set up from maximus-3. It comes in different configurations.

Andrew_Evs 05-14-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iinferno (Post 3692508)
This is a great set up from maximus-3. It comes in different configurations.

How much did that set up run you? Looks great

Greg__Berger 05-14-2013 04:03 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found a pricing error on a Rugged Ridge 8,500lb and picked it up for $172. I'm a cheap bastard and didn't want to drop another $150 on a winch plate for the stock bumper since I knew at some point down the road, I'd replace it with a steel bumper. I did a hybrid approach of a couple of write ups that I found and bought a $39 Universal Winch Mount Plate from Harbor Freight. Cut my bumper, cut the winch plate, drilled holes in the frame and boletd the plate directly to the frame with Grade 8 hardware. Looks pretty good for under $250 and it works like a charm. I've used it for recovery twice already.

whetstone 05-14-2013 05:09 PM

Are the winches on those stock bumpers attached to anything solid or just to the bumper?

Greg__Berger 05-15-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whetstone (Post 3755821)
Are the winches on those stock bumpers attached to anything solid or just to the bumper?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greg__Berger (Post 3755626)
I found a pricing error on a Rugged Ridge 8,500lb and picked it up for $172. I'm a cheap bastard and didn't want to drop another $150 on a winch plate for the stock bumper since I knew at some point down the road, I'd replace it with a steel bumper. I did a hybrid approach of a couple of write ups that I found and bought a $39 Universal Winch Mount Plate from Harbor Freight. Cut my bumper, cut the winch plate, drilled holes in the frame and bolted the plate directly to the frame with Grade 8 hardware. Looks pretty good for under $250 and it works like a charm. I've used it for recovery twice already.

From above.

brian d 05-15-2013 12:26 PM

Here ya go.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36...ps71d5440b.jpg
Scored a WARN winch plate for the factory bumper off of ebay for 50 bucks. I was going to use it temporally, but after chopping off the anchors and adding the RC end caps, I am quite content with this setup.

brian d 05-15-2013 12:33 PM

Might as well throw one up of the new meats.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a36...ps1196af0a.jpg


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:17 AM.