Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK Build Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/)
-   -   I just bed lined my 4-door with Monstaliner (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f314/i-just-bed-lined-my-4-door-with-monstaliner-238306.html)

Beastmaster 04-28-2013 12:59 PM

I just bed lined my 4-door with Monstaliner
 
4 Attachment(s)
I finally got around to painting on my Monstaliner (bought it a couple of months ago). There are several good bed lining threads on the forum and I picked up some good tips. Thought I'd make a thread with everything I've found in my research and pass on my experience.

The Monstaliner web site says that 1-gallon is enough for a 2-door Jeep and I had seen differing quantities that people suggested for 4-doors so I bought 1-gallon and 1-quart. The gallon was more than enough so I'm going to save the quart for future touch up and maybe even do the roll bars like some people have done, but that's another project.

To start, make sure you pick up some gloves and face masks, this stuff is pretty caustic. The instructions said I should pick up some MEK (Methyl Ethyl Ketone) but all I could find was some MEK substitute (I guess it's like MEK light - lol)

There are pros and cons to removing the insulation goo that's laid down in the front, middle and rear areas at the factory. I decided to remove it, and it wasn't too tough just time consuming. I used a heat gun and a gasket removing tool. I used the heat gun to get it started and then the gasket remover worked well to chip the goo away.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I highly recommend removing the sound deadening goo. As I removed mine, I found lots of dirt underneath! It looks to me like this is a great place for rust to form, good thing I live in "Arid-zone-a "



I tied up all the cables with some string.

Beastmaster 04-28-2013 01:01 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I followed the Monstaliner instructions and when it came to masking, I used tape for the drain holes and bolts. I picked up some ear plugs and put them in the bolt holes for the seats.

I picked up some large disposable food containers. After mixing the liner and catalyst, I poured half in one container (first coat) and half in the other (second coat). There were 3 containers in the package, and it's a good thing too. The instructions said to use a paint tray that was supposed to be included, needless to say it wasn't there. I was able to use the 3rd container as a paint tray. I took 5 hours to remove the seats, prep and mask the tub. It took me just over an hour for the first coat. It took 3 hours to dry and another hour for the second coat.

Beastmaster 04-28-2013 01:02 PM

4 Attachment(s)
The instructions say to remove the masking tape as soon as you are done with the second coat. I highly recommend you do this since it will be extremely hard to do it when the liner dries. I removed all the ear plugs from the bolt holes and forgot one, it was hard removing it in the morning and it started coming apart in the hole because it was stuck to the liner.

gr8fulKID 04-28-2013 03:36 PM

Right on man. Have had my monstaliner on for about a year and its still going strong. It will take awhile for that smell to get out but totally worth it

Beastmaster 04-28-2013 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8fulKID (Post 3693014)
Right on man. Have had my monstaliner on for about a year and its still going strong. It will take awhile for that smell to get out but totally worth it

Ya, good thing I'm running topless for now.

kjeeper10 04-28-2013 07:24 PM

Sweetness :thumb:

kramer2k 04-28-2013 07:28 PM

Awesome job BM. It's a good look once all complete. :cool:

Beastmaster 04-29-2013 08:07 AM

Thanks guys, now I just need to convince Momma I need new seat covers. :flowers:

DozerJK 04-29-2013 08:43 AM

Do you notice your Jeep is a lot hotter inside? My buddy lined his and said on hot days it was pretty awful...

Beastmaster 04-29-2013 10:23 AM

I took it for a drive on the freeway yesterday and the floorboard did get hot. It's hard to tell if it's the bedliner but I don't think so, I think it's just due to the fact that I don't have any carpet to insulate things. It was 95 here yesterday and I had it on the freeway with no top or doors so I couldn't tell if it was any worse than if I hadn't bed lined it.

MTH 04-29-2013 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DozerJK (Post 3695711)
Do you notice your Jeep is a lot hotter inside? My buddy lined his and said on hot days it was pretty awful...

I've had mine lined for a long time now and have heard this before, but I can honestly say I've never experienced this and have no idea why it would be true.

The area above the transmission is warm to the touch, and so the carpet did help to avoid noticing that.

But otherwise, how much insulation does anybody really believe the carpet provided?

I have to believe that when people say this what they're really referring to is that IF they leave the jeep in the hot sun, THEN the metal itself gets hot. I don't think what's meant is that the AC suddenly becomes ineffective or the jeep is just as a general matter hotter inside. :confused:

Beastmaster 06-06-2013 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8fulKID (Post 3693014)
Right on man. Have had my monstaliner on for about a year and its still going strong. It will take awhile for that smell to get out but totally worth it

Quote:

Originally Posted by DozerJK (Post 3695711)
Do you notice your Jeep is a lot hotter inside? My buddy lined his and said on hot days it was pretty awful...

Now that it's almost 6-weeks since I applied the Monstaliner, I thought I'd check in with an update.

Well, as far as the heat: I suppose there is a little more heat that comes through but I run rubber floor mats and hardly notice it.

The smell: I didn't notice it very much for the first, but then I was topless for the first 4 weeks. I put top and doors on 2 weeks ago because I had shoulder surgery and knew I wouldn't be able drive it for a while (it's a stick shift). Well, I got into it yesterday and it still smelled a little. Granted, it's been closed up for 2 weeks and it's been over 100 degrees for the last 6 days but I thought I should mention it.

SETI1x 06-06-2013 10:32 AM

Just learning here...what's the purpose of this?

Beastmaster 06-06-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SETI1x (Post 3831807)
Just learning here...what's the purpose of this?

Primarily for rust prevention, most of the time you see people do this is on an older Jeep to cover rust and prevent more. It's kind of like undercoating for the interior :thumb:

You can take the carpet out, and coat the entire tub with a material that will protect the body interior. Some people put the carpet back in but I think it looks good with just the bed liner. I come back off a trail run and all I need to do is pull the drain plugs and hose it out. :D

An added benefit is that it looks good. I went with basic black but there are lots of colors available. ;)

xxxxxxxxxxxtklein42 06-06-2013 11:04 AM

Damn! This sounds like a good investment. Nice work man!

JeepHerz 06-06-2013 11:49 AM

If I do bedline I'll have to go with Monstaliner just because of the paint names:
Pass the Bubbly, Jeep Spice, Purple People Eater, Road Rash....
Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner
How much texture would you say this has? It looks almost like a hammer finish in some photos- (online) and in others its pretty textured. Maybe it depends on the # of coats? Also- it looks shiny? 5 hours to hand sand or did you use a gadget?

Beastmaster 06-06-2013 01:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by tklein42 (Post 3831944)
Damn! This sounds like a good investment. Nice work man!

Thanks :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepHerz (Post 3832091)
If I do bedline I'll have to go with Monstaliner just because of the paint names:
Pass the Bubbly, Jeep Spice, Purple People Eater, Road Rash....
Monstaliner do-it-yourself roll-on truck bed liner
How much texture would you say this has? It looks almost like a hammer finish in some photos- (online) and in others its pretty textured. Maybe it depends on the # of coats? Also- it looks shiny? 5 hours to hand sand or did you use a gadget?

Texture: Mine has quite a bit so I guess it all depends on how you apply it. If you use a smooth roller or brush, it will come out smoother. I've even heard of people spraying it on but they must have thinned it out ALLOT since it is so thick. I used the supplied roller and mine is quite textured (see attached photos).

Shininess: It started out pretty shiny (the first pic was the day I did it, and the 2nd was taken today) but it dulled out a bit since then. It is still not what you would call flat.

Prep time: The 5 hours I quoted was for everything; removing seats, sanding, masking, etc. I did all the prep by hand, the only exception was the heat gun. Even then, all I used the heat for was to get started on a section of the sound deadening goop, it scraped pretty easy after that. As far as the sanding went, that was some of the easiest parts. It's not like you need to go to bare metal (in fact it's best if you don't since the paint is more rust protection). All you are trying to do with the sanding and MEK is to remove any rust, oils, etc. and to rough up the surface so the bed liner will stick better.

JeepHerz 06-06-2013 06:02 PM

THanks for the info.!

WhiskeyMike 07-05-2013 09:06 AM

Great write up, appreciate it. How about changes in road noise or how your radio sounds? Especially with top on?

I've been thinking about doing this project but trying to figure out how to incorporate dynamat or similar. But it doesn't seem like a good idea to lay dynamat down and then monstaliner on top. :nonono:

ltsrapcon 07-13-2013 12:31 PM

Subscribed. wanting to do it by winter.

Beastmaster 07-13-2013 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiskeyMike (Post 3929382)
Great write up, appreciate it. How about changes in road noise or how your radio sounds? Especially with top on?

I've been thinking about doing this project but trying to figure out how to incorporate dynamat or similar. But it doesn't seem like a good idea to lay dynamat down and then monstaliner on top. :nonono:

Sorry, I missed your question.

I don't really notice any extra road noise, but I run with the doors and top off as much as possible and when I have the top up, it's only the soft one.

jwink41 07-13-2013 01:18 PM

Looks great! Monstaliner is my second best mod! Now you have to get the tuffy cubby cover. It looks better with the Monstaliner than the OEM IMO.

Beastmaster 07-13-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwink41 (Post 3958154)
Looks great! Monstaliner is my second best mod! Now you have to get the tuffy cubby cover. It looks better with the Monstaliner than the OEM IMO.

Good idea. :thumb:

I decided to go with the entire Tuffy enclosure though.

JenyGirl 07-13-2013 02:24 PM

Question. I think you actually helped me out with this :-) I did for the carpet out of my jeep two months after I purchased it new in 07. I have major OCD and dislike carpets.

So as you can guess, I power wash the inside of my jeep a lot. It's been six years driving with just rubber mats under my feet in the tub... My feet are constantly on fire... I obviously should do this because I'm bound to rust out the tub eventually and this I absolutely do not want to happen. However, I am unsure if this is the only thing I wants as far as floor lining And I could definitely not do this myself...

I'm sure there is a thread, but has anyone had any experiences with a different method of lining the tub? (Other products) This seems to be the less expensive choice, but I'm not sure if somebody around here does this because again, not something I could take on myself.

Rooster76 07-13-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenyGirl (Post 3958300)
...It's been six years driving with just rubber mats under my feet in the tub... My feet are constantly on fire... I obviously should do this because I'm bound to rust out the tub eventually and this I absolutely do not want to happen. However, I am unsure if this is the only thing I wants as far as floor lining And I could definitely not do this myself...

I'm sure there is a thread, but has anyone had any experiences with a different method of lining the tub? (Other products) This seems to be the less expensive choice, but I'm not sure if somebody around here does this because again, not something I could take on myself.

There is a product(s) called lizard skin. They have one for heat (black) and one for sound(grey). If you want both there is a certain order, sound vs heat, you need to follow. You cannot put another liner over it. Someone found that out after calling them up. There are a couple YouTube videos about it. A guy has it done on this thread.
http://www.jk-forum.com/modified-jk-...brands-248330/

JenyGirl 07-13-2013 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rooster76 (Post 3958458)

There is a product(s) called lizard skin. They have one for heat (black) and one for sound(grey). If you want both there is a certain order, sound vs heat, you need to follow. You cannot put another liner over it. Someone found that out after calling them up. There are a couple YouTube videos about it. A guy has it done on this thread.
http://www.jk-forum.com/modified-jk-...brands-248330/

O m g.... Decisions. Decisions. Ignorant question, but one would only have to assume that even after doing that you would still want to use floor mats. I like the trek. I'm definitely going to have to find a place in my area that does one of these jobs, because I am so not doing this myself. Ty

JenyGirl 07-13-2013 03:42 PM

Also... This seems like something any body shop or autobody shop Could perform no? I'm trying to do or I have been trying to do a Google search, and nothing comes up in my area

MTH 07-13-2013 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JenyGirl (Post 3958516)
Also... This seems like something any body shop or autobody shop Could perform no? I'm trying to do or I have been trying to do a Google search, and nothing comes up in my area

Yep.

Rooster76 07-13-2013 04:27 PM

I used U-Pol Raptor to spray mine. It cost me almost exactlly $200 with all the supplies. U-Pol Raptor Bed Liner in tub - Shots - Notes - Reference Threads . I like the results. Anyways I found that I need to still run Quadratic floor liners in the front. I removed the heat/sound goop before I sprayed the liner. That leaves about 3 or 4 ridges that go across the floorboard. I found that those ridges made my left foot always feel like it was slipping without the liners. The thing is after you remove the carpet you loose the hook to keep the mats from sliding. I fixed that issue with putting down some solid tool box liner. It's like a yoga mat. That keeps them down pretty solid. They will migrate a bit over time, but that hasn't bothered me too bad yet. If it does I will use some JB Weld (quick kind) with the top of a roofer nail to keep them from moving at all. Just basically create a hook stuck to the floor.
http://rileyid.com/randy/JK/Raptor/Raptor_with_Loom.jpg
I never should have lined over the loops for the back seat. It ended up chipping there pretty bad. Likely a bit of that was due to me trying to force them in the wrong way.
http://rileyid.com/randy/JK/Raptor/R...rear_wires.jpg
I took a heat gun to my cubbie lid and then lined that too. It has held up good for about a year now. I was a bit too quick with it and left a few lines with the heat gun.
http://rileyid.com/randy/JK/Raptor/Cubby_Lid_lined.jpg
This is what I use under my floor liners. I'm pretty sure it was 5'x2' and did both the front ones.
http://www.jegs.com/images/photos/50...5-W88996_1.jpg


I would think that almost any body shop could bedline your Jeep if they were up to it. The best professional option is Line-x with Xtra but it's a good deal more expensive. I was roughly quoted $500 if I did all the prep and drove it in with one seat. If you just dropped it off I would imagine it would be about $1500 possibly. Sanding and taking off all the parts takes a good days work. Zebart stores also have a bedliner called Rhino liner. I have heard that it is a bit rubbery. I'm not sure if that's your best option. I think there is a place called Speedliner in parts of the country. They don't have them around here, and i cannot say how great it is.

JenyGirl 07-13-2013 05:12 PM

Yours looks amazing. Want to come to Jersey to do mine. I'm great when it comes to remodeling a home, but I'm not going to take on this job. Mainly because I do not have the space and I'm not good with all the wiring, blah blah blah, BUT.... It needs to get done. The only place I still have carpet is in the cargo area. So far I've been using these mats Forever and they never slide, But as you can see, it's time for a power wash and it's in total need of a line ASAP!!!



Attachment 272252



Attachment 272253


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:03 AM.