Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   installed SYE wont come out of 4low (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/installed-sye-wont-come-out-of-4low-238340.html)

Jaminjer 04-28-2013 02:57 PM

installed SYE wont come out of 4low

I just installed teraflex SYE into my 231 transfer case. I am pretty sure I got it all together correctly. Should I be able to take it out of 4low without starting it?

Herbie424 04-28-2013 05:26 PM

Usually have to be in neutral to get into or out of 4lo and sometimes even crawling forward babysteps

PStov98TJ 04-28-2013 06:04 PM

It helps to be moving at about 2-3 mph to move into/out of 4lo sometimes.

jeepers29 04-28-2013 06:56 PM

Jaminjer, not to hijack, but I am doing this install on Tuesday. Any tips? I was planning on leaving the trans case in the jeep. What did you do? Thanks

Water Dog 04-28-2013 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepers29 (Post 3693601)
Jaminjer, not to hijack, but I am doing this install on Tuesday. Any tips? I was planning on leaving the trans case in the jeep. What did you do? Thanks

I'm not him, but I installed mine about a month ago while it was in the Jeep, and if I had to do it again, I would do it the same way. If you have a nice creeper with a head rest, it's a piece of cake. Hardest part was the large snap ring in the output shaft housing, but If the thing was laying on the bench unrestrained, it probably wouldn't have been any better. Even with really good snap ring pliers, they kept wanting to slip off. Wound up having to get a couple of screw drivers in behind it.

jeepers29 04-28-2013 11:00 PM

Thanks water dog.

Jaminjer 04-28-2013 11:41 PM

Good snap ring pliers are a must!!! I tried my wimppy ones originally, finally oreilly had some good ones.
If I were to do it again i think i might pull the whole transfer case. The worst was the oil pickup flange or what ever you call it, making sure it was right. After I had it installed I found a good youtube from advanced adapters Jeep New Process 231- NP231 SYE Install - Slip Yoke Eliminator - YouTube.
I did leave the transfer case in as most have advised.
Jeep is on ramps, will have to take it down tomorrow and see if i can rock it and get it out of gear.

Water Dog 04-29-2013 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaminjer (Post 3694751)
Good snap ring pliers are a must!!! I tried my wimppy ones originally, finally oreilly had some good ones.
If I were to do it again i think i might pull the whole transfer case. The worst was the oil pickup flange or what ever you call it, making sure it was right. After I had it installed I found a good youtube from advanced adapters I did leave the transfer case in as most have advised.
Jeep is on ramps, will have to take it down tomorrow and see if i can rock it and get it out of gear.

I also watched that video...pretty helpful. I didn't have any issues with gear changes, but mine was on 4 jackstands under the axles.

jeepers29 04-29-2013 08:12 PM

what issues are you having with gear changes? I have not seen anything about issues like that? My shaft and Teraflex kit came today, so wanting to get started tomorrow. Thanks guys.

Jaminjer 05-01-2013 04:38 PM

I finally got this all back together, tried to drive it a few feet and still would not come out of 4 hi. I figured I had put something back together wrong so started taking some things loose and when I tried to pry off one of the linkage arms it moved, jumped in jeep and was able to take out of 4 wheel drive. Found out my linkage had bound up somehow, lubed all the linkage points now good to go. Ordered rear drive shaft so only have one in front, drove to work that way, no problems.

TeraFlex 05-01-2013 05:46 PM

If you have any more issues, please give us a call. 1-888-837-2359 ext 318 is Doug our t-case expert.