Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/)
-   -   What does GL-5 mean & what oil for my Eaton?? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f210/what-does-gl-5-mean-and-what-oil-for-my-eaton-238434.html)

1jeeplvr 04-28-2013 09:03 PM

What does GL-5 mean & what oil for my Eaton??

Im changing my diff fluid for the first time after my gear install & Im wondering what the GL-5 designates? Also should I just use a 75-90 oil even if I have a Eaton locker?

Wyo Tigger 01 04-28-2013 11:11 PM

I had Royal Purple added along with the Eaton E-locker. That was on 5/7/08 and 60,538 miles ago. We have 140,766 miles on the odometer now. This has been a really good Jeep.

s14sh3r 04-28-2013 11:30 PM

It's just a specification given by the American Petroleum Institute. The GL stands for gear lubricant.

Jerry Bransford 04-28-2013 11:44 PM

GL5 gear lubes have special additives required by the ring and pinion gears in our axles. Your Eaton locker requires no additional additives beyond what is in a GL5 gear lube to work properly.

1jeeplvr 04-29-2013 05:45 PM

Thanks everyone.I just got a free case of Mopar gear lube for free.Its not synth but I cant complain for free!

Jerry Bransford 04-30-2013 07:49 PM

Many of us, me included, prefer conventional gear lube for our axles.

1jeeplvr 05-01-2013 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3703220)
Many of us, me included, prefer conventional gear lube for our axles.

Ive heard that but why is a differential different?

Jerry Bransford 05-01-2013 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1jeeplvr (Post 3707397)
Ive heard that but why is a differential different?

Through lab tests, it was a surprise to discover that a conventional gear lube sinks (extracts) heat from the gears more readily than a synthetic lube does. I.E. the gears run cooler in heavy hardcore uses with a conventional GL-5 gear lube. That is why some axle manufacturers like Currie changed their warranties to require owners to only use conventional gear lubes. I run synthetic power steering fluid, synthetic ATF+4 in my transmission & transfer case, but a conventional Torco or Valvoline GL-5 in my axles. For most users with light duty uses, a synthetic gear lube is fine. It's the hardcore uses where it could make a difference... not that I consider my wheeling hardcore.

1jeeplvr 05-01-2013 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3707410)
Through lab tests, it was a surprise to discover that a conventional gear lube sinks (extracts) heat from the gears more readily than a synthetic lube does. I.E. the gears run cooler in heavy hardcore uses with a conventional GL-5 gear lube. That is why some axle manufacturers like Currie changed their warranties to require owners to only use conventional gear lubes. I run synthetic power steering fluid, synthetic ATF+4 in my transmission & transfer case, but a conventional Torco or Valvoline GL-5 in my axles. For most users with light duty uses, a synthetic gear lube is fine. It's the hardcore uses where it could make a difference... not that I consider my wheeling hardcore.

Well good to know. And another question if you dont mind.Its been about 700 miles since my new gears were installed.Ive noticed after driving for a maybe an hour or so the rear diff cover gets very hot.I cant keep my hand on it too long.My fluid looks good, there was no chunks & the gears are quiet.Is this normal? Im scared the heat might damage the magnets or the E locker itself.

Jerry Bransford 05-01-2013 06:42 PM

The pumpkin's normal operating temp is too hot for you to hold your hand on for more than a split-second. What is too hot for your hand is nothing to steel & gear lube. :)

1jeeplvr 05-01-2013 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerry Bransford (Post 3707435)
Its normal operating temp is too hot for you to hold your hand on for more than a split-second. What is too hot for your hand is nothing to steel & gear lube. :)

Thanks,I was really getting scared about the heat