Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Is this normal? Transfer case shift lever (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/is-this-normal-transfer-case-shift-lever-238510.html)

NWranglerS 04-29-2013 07:55 AM

Is this normal? Transfer case shift lever
 
It might be nitpicking, but when I am accelerating and get to a certain rpm I hear a very slight rattling coming from the transfer case shift lever. If I apply upward pressure to the lever when accelerating I don't get the rattling.

Is this normal, or could something be a little loose? It honestly annoys the crap out of me

msubrave 04-29-2013 08:04 AM

I get the exact same rattle. It's driving me crazy.

I move the lever around until it stops, but I wish it would never start.

NWranglerS 04-29-2013 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msubrave (Post 3695594)
I get the exact same rattle. It's driving me crazy.

I move the lever around until it stops, but I wish it would never start.

It makes the jeep sound cheap... I try to push on it different ways to see if it stops but I haven't had any luck. Curious to see if other people have this as well, maybe it's just a jeep thing.

unusedusername 04-29-2013 03:26 PM

Huh, interesting.

My 13 Rubicon does not do this.

Maybe take it to a dealer and get it looked at or tightened up?

Lusus_Naturae 04-30-2013 06:31 AM

My 2013 doesn't do this, but my TJ did after a lift. I would take it in for a check if it's stock, otherwise you may want to just check it out first - I'm not sure how a lift might even affect the JK's. In the TJ it was a bracket adjustment and a piece of hose around the lower shifter to keep it from rubbing the metal.

Miser 04-30-2013 01:13 PM

My 2013 Rubicon does not do what you are describing!

SilverSport 04-30-2013 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lusus_Naturae (Post 3700458)
My 2013 doesn't do this, but my TJ did after a lift. I would take it in for a check if it's stock, otherwise you may want to just check it out first - I'm not sure how a lift might even affect the JK's. In the TJ it was a bracket adjustment and a piece of hose around the lower shifter to keep it from rubbing the metal.

I was also thinking a piece of hose might do the trick.

NWranglerS 09-23-2013 01:48 PM

I am bringing back this old thread because I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing or have experienced a slight rattle in the transfer case shift level. I get it when I am accelerating sometimes and if I apply slight pressure on the knob it stops. So get this...

I went to the dealership today to get an oil change and tire rotation and figured I would ask them about it. I spoke to the foreman and he said that he hasn't heard of that happening. We went for a ride so he could hear it and of course it wasn't doing it and I couldn't make it rattle!!!! I told him I didn't want to take too much of his time and next time I come in for an oil change maybe we could try it again. I then told him the truth was I am lonely and just wanted to go for a ride with someone. I think he thought I was serious hahaha.

Then I am literally driving to the highway on ramp after pulling out from the dealership and it starts doing it again!! I was like really jeep?!?! I guess I will try again next time I am there and thought it was a funny story.

hair2831 09-23-2013 03:15 PM

Mine doesn't do that but it would annoy me to death if it did. I can't stand rattles! I had a rattle underneath the Jeep for months that I finally figured out was loose shock mount bolts. I was so happy when I found that. LOL!

JKjingle 09-23-2013 03:47 PM

I might have an idea of what it is. My shifter was rattling at certain rpms and when I would squeeze the knob or push on it, it would go away. Couldn't figure it out. Just last week I was driving shift gears and the chrome trim piece pops off the shifter. Upon further inspection I noticed it has 3 clips and 2 had broken off. The shifter still rattles so I can only assume the broken plastic is rattling around inside the knob. I can take pics if you want I'm bringing it in to the dealer on Wednesday. The TC shifter has that same chrome trim piece so maybe yours is broken. You could try pulling on it if 2 clips are broken it'll probably come right off. If it's 1 clip it might stay put.

DaleT 09-23-2013 04:47 PM

Have 2013 Rubicon Unlimited with 6-speed that does the same exact thing. Apply a little forward pressure on the x-fer case shifter and it stops. Right now I have stretched the netting that's on the console directly in front of the shifter over the knob and that stops the rattle until I can get around to figure out a better solution.

gsn 09-23-2013 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JKjingle (Post 4799441)
I might have an idea of what it is. My shifter was rattling at certain rpms and when I would squeeze the knob or push on it, it would go away. Couldn't figure it out. Just last week I was driving shift gears and the chrome trim piece pops off the shifter. Upon further inspection I noticed it has 3 clips and 2 had broken off. The shifter still rattles so I can only assume the broken plastic is rattling around inside the knob. I can take pics if you want I'm bringing it in to the dealer on Wednesday. The TC shifter has that same chrome trim piece so maybe yours is broken. You could try pulling on it if 2 clips are broken it'll probably come right off. If it's 1 clip it might stay put.

I had the rattle with the stock tcase knob. Bought a drake offroad alum tcase knob, and still the same rattle at the knob... even when the screw is tightened hard and after adding electrical tape on the shaft where the screw makes pressure to reduce play.

If I dont find a solution for this, I'm going to run knobless. Or just put the knob whenever I need to use the tcase because its annoying.

NWranglerS 09-23-2013 05:23 PM

I will take a look at the plastic chrome piece on top to see if it is loose.

Has anyone taken the knob off when replacing it? How do you take it off? Worst case scenario I will just take it off and see if it goes away.

gsn 09-23-2013 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 4801465)
I will take a look at the plastic chrome piece on top to see if it is loose.

Has anyone taken the knob off when replacing it? How do you take it off? Worst case scenario I will just take it off and see if it goes away.

Pull hard... until your eyeballs pop out. Or use a vice grip, destroy the inner tabs of the stock knob by pressing it at the base and moving it left to right, then replace with new knob.

10to10 09-23-2013 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWranglerS (Post 4796577)
I am bringing back this old thread because I wanted to see if anyone else was experiencing or have experienced a slight rattle in the transfer case shift level. I get it when I am accelerating sometimes and if I apply slight pressure on the knob it stops. So get this...

I went to the dealership today to get an oil change and tire rotation and figured I would ask them about it. I spoke to the foreman and he said that he hasn't heard of that happening. We went for a ride so he could hear it and of course it wasn't doing it and I couldn't make it rattle!!!! I told him I didn't want to take too much of his time and next time I come in for an oil change maybe we could try it again. I then told him the truth was I am lonely and just wanted to go for a ride with someone. I think he thought I was serious hahaha.

Then I am literally driving to the highway on ramp after pulling out from the dealership and it starts doing it again!! I was like really jeep?!?! I guess I will try again next time I am there and thought it was a funny story.

That's some funny stuff... never fails, seems like the Jeep wants to be bad but knows when to be good. Your Jeep must be a teenager, just wait until it grows up and out of warranty...it will moan and groan all the time...lol!

ARKTCT 09-23-2013 05:43 PM

I have the same thing, 6-speed, at higher rpm's. All I have to do is touch the x-fer knob and it stops. Never looked for a solution, but I use it as my "rpms are high and I'm not in the green zone on the tach" for gas mileage....haha...dde1c(roll eyes)!!! If a solution to the noise is found I'd love to know!

NWranglerS 09-23-2013 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 10to10 (Post 4801785)
That's some funny stuff... never fails, seems like the Jeep wants to be bad but knows when to be good. Your Jeep must be a teenager, just wait until it grows up and out of warranty...it will moan and groan all the time...lol!

Hahaha well put

Jekyll 06-12-2014 08:34 AM

I have had this issue and I wanted to know if any of you found a fix or talked to the dealer about a fix? It is driving me crazy.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:10 AM.