Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Yeah! Poison Spyder Brawler Lite w/ Skid Plate Installed (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/yeah-poison-spyder-brawler-lite-w-skid-plate-installed-238675.html)

nekojku 04-29-2013 10:26 AM

Yeah! Poison Spyder Brawler Lite w/ Skid Plate Installed

First of all I want to thank everyone for their tips. Without the tips and forum threads the installation would have took alot longer. :dance:

After unbolting, cutting, grinding, drilling, finding bigger screws, and bolting...I am pleased with the overall results.

I was so excited about the bumper installation over the weekend I completely forgot to plug in the turn signal and fog lights. Just noticed that this morning LOL! So after a quick few clicks of the lights I was back in biz.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8264/8...aa4cfc64_c.jpg

Spyder1049 04-29-2013 11:50 AM

How did you do process with installing bumper plus skid, did you install skid onto bumper before, or did you install bumper then skid

nekojku 04-29-2013 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder1049 (Post 3696379)
How did you do process with installing bumper plus skid, did you install skid onto bumper before, or did you install bumper then skid

I put the two pieces together first then put the bumper on. From there I was able to figure out how much of the bar to cut off.

Not sure why PS does not make the skid plate just a few millimeters bigger to avoid cutting. But either way...I found it worth all the hard work.

Spyder1049 04-29-2013 01:19 PM

yeah i'm talking about the real install , not the mock up to see if things fit .
What i'm saying is, were you able to bolt the bumper onto the jeep while the skid plate was attached to the bumper, I installed the bumper onto the jeep , then the skid onto the bumper as i couldnt get to my bolts with the skid already on the bumper .
If that makes sense

Sgt93 04-29-2013 01:25 PM

Looks great! Any idea on a roundabout weight of your bumper? Checked the site but didn't see weight numbers.

nekojku 04-29-2013 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder1049 (Post 3696690)
yeah i'm talking about the real install , not the mock up to see if things fit .
What i'm saying is, were you able to bolt the bumper onto the jeep while the skid plate was attached to the bumper, I installed the bumper onto the jeep , then the skid onto the bumper as i couldnt get to my bolts with the skid already on the bumper .
If that makes sense

Yes, during the real install I was able to bolt on the bumper with skid plate (both together at same time). Was a reach to get to the 8 bolts to mount but I got it done.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt93 (Post 3696717)
Looks great! Any idea on a roundabout weight of your bumper? Checked the site but didn't see weight numbers.

The bumper itself came in at 65 lbs from FedEx and the Skid Plate at 35 lbs from UPS. So minus out the packaging I would estimate about 90 lbs.

Sgt93 04-29-2013 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekojku (Post 3696814)
The bumper itself came in at 65 lbs from FedEx and the Skid Plate at 35 lbs from UPS. So minus out the packaging I would estimate about 90 lbs.

Thank you! :thumb: I love their products but don't want to add a lot of weight as I am trying to keep it stock'ish.

nekojku 04-29-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sgt93 (Post 3696886)
Thank you! :thumb: I love their products but don't want to add a lot of weight as I am trying to keep it stock'ish.

Ya I took that into consideration when I was deciding as well.

kramer2k 04-29-2013 06:55 PM

Looks awesome! My favorite stubby bumper hands down. :cool:

Spyder1049 04-29-2013 07:12 PM

Are u going to add a winch or ? I have the same bumper, skid and i added a winch.
I went with the zeon 10s , was pretty heavy , i dont see any noticeable sag , i like the ride better now , it feels more sturdy with the added weight in the front . Not a bad thing imo , havent noticed a change in mpg also .

nekojku 04-29-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder1049 (Post 3698260)
Are u going to add a winch or ? I have the same bumper, skid and i added a winch.
I went with the zeon 10s , was pretty heavy , i dont see any noticeable sag , i like the ride better now , it feels more sturdy with the added weight in the front . Not a bad thing imo , havent noticed a change in mpg also .

The Zeon winch looks crazy good on your setup.

I may jump on the Zeon and take advantage of the $100 rebate off they have going right now.

Did you have to use washers or the Poison Spyder spacers for the Zeon winch?

nekojku 04-29-2013 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3698149)

Thanks!! Was crazy installing it but overall I like it.

RedSectorA 04-29-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekojku (Post 3699395)
Thanks!! Was crazy installing it but overall I like it.

A couple of those inner frame horn bolts are fun to get to aren't they? :)

Sgt93 04-29-2013 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3698149)

My thoughts exactly. Knowing there is a lighter version may seal the deal for me.

JGreer 04-29-2013 11:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I got mine back last week (actually on my birthday) from powder coating and got it installed. Lots of yelling at bolts and whiskey drank during the process, but I love it!

Sgt93 04-29-2013 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGreer (Post 3699518)
I got mine back last week (actually on my birthday) from powder coating and got it installed. Lots of yelling at bolts and whiskey drank during the process, but I love it!

Looks fantastic JGreer, congrats.

Spyder1049 04-30-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nekojku (Post 3699385)
The Zeon winch looks crazy good on your setup.

I may jump on the Zeon and take advantage of the $100 rebate off they have going right now.

Did you have to use washers or the Poison Spyder spacers for the Zeon winch?

No warn has their own hardware that came with the winch. You do need the hawse Fairleed mount from poison spider, just a steel plate that goes where the 4 holes on top are, warn supplies the aluminum plate that goes into that, where your rope comes out thru

nekojku 04-30-2013 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RedSectorA (Post 3699477)
A couple of those inner frame horn bolts are fun to get to aren't they? :)

I had to Macgyver my wrench to reach a couple of those bolts lol!

Quote:

Originally Posted by JGreer (Post 3699518)

I definitely needed a drink after the install. :thumb:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyder1049 (Post 3700271)
No warn has their own hardware that came with the winch. You do need the hawse Fairleed mount from poison spider, just a steel plate that goes where the 4 holes on top are, warn supplies the aluminum plate that goes into that, where your rope comes out thru

Cool Thx! The Zeon just looks so nice on the PS bumper.

Wharfrat 04-30-2013 10:43 AM

Those of you who mounted this bumper already without a winch. Is the entire bumper going to have to come off to install a winch at a later date?

kramer2k 04-30-2013 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharfrat (Post 3701211)
Those of you who mounted this bumper already without a winch. Is the entire bumper going to have to come off to install a winch at a later date?

No, that shouldn't be required. The mounting holes are easily accessible. That is assuming you don't have a lower skid plate. Otherwise that would get in the way I think.

You guys that had to contort to reach a few bolts, did you leave the crash bar on or remove it? I removed mine and didn't have a problem at all reaching the 8 mounting bolts.

MikeK46 04-30-2013 11:00 AM

Looks awesome :thumb:

What fogs are those?

And how come come most people go for the plate gussets? I'm guessing personal preference first, and more clearance for a winch second?

RedSectorA 04-30-2013 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wharfrat (Post 3701211)

I installed my winch after the bumper and skid were installed on the Jeep.

nekojku 04-30-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3701243)
No, that shouldn't be required. The mounting holes are easily accessible. That is assuming you don't have a lower skid plate. Otherwise that would get in the way I think.

You guys that had to contort to reach a few bolts, did you leave the crash bar on or remove it? I removed mine and didn't have a problem at all reaching the 8 mounting bolts.

Ah crud! I left mine on and just trimmed it. I guess I'll be doing some more Macgyver moves to work around the skit plate and mount a winch. :facepalm:

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeK46 (Post 3701264)
Looks awesome :thumb:

What fogs are those?

And how come come most people go for the plate gussets? I'm guessing personal preference first, and more clearance for a winch second?

Thanks!

I replaced the stock fog lights with Projector LED's. The main bulb has a CREE LED so its super bright.

I think both gussets are great looking. But I went with the Plate Steel rather than the Dom Tube because I didnt wanted a simple look. Both should have the same clearance for the winch. Well from the looks of it on pics lol!

RedSectorA 04-30-2013 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer2k (Post 3701243)

I left my crash bar mostly intact, only notching the corners. If I had to do it again (and I might) I would completely remove it.

My crash bar must have been a smidge lower that most because I could not get the lip of the skid to slide over the bottom of the crash bar with the bumper and skid bolted together tightly. I had to leave the skid hanging loosely from the bottom of the bumper and then tighten it all up once the bumper was tight to the frame horns. It still isn't 100% and it's nagging at me. I might take the entire thing back off and lop off the crash bar.

kramer2k 04-30-2013 01:56 PM

Do it. Take that crappy thin metal crash bar off. I don't use a lower skid so the crash bar would've been visible. There's no need for it since this bumper is so robust.

Spyder1049 04-30-2013 05:32 PM

I left mine on and trimmed it, it was a mofo to install so it will be a mofo to steal

tlminh 04-30-2013 05:56 PM

I just got this in my garage this morning. No skid plate

What is the purpose of the crash bar? I figure I have a large steel bumper, a little crash bar isn't gonna do anything. Also, for you guys that installed it without the skid, did you need to grind anything down? Or was it a simple bolt on?

tlminh 04-30-2013 06:29 PM

Also, for those that painted/rattle canned, did you do the inside of the bumper as well?

jwann01 04-30-2013 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tlminh (Post 3702742)
I just got this in my garage this morning. No skid plate

What is the purpose of the crash bar? I figure I have a large steel bumper, a little crash bar isn't gonna do anything. Also, for you guys that installed it without the skid, did you need to grind anything down? Or was it a simple bolt on?

The crash bar serves several purposes. It protects the grill, winch if one is installed, and provides another place for lights. Other than that, it just looks good. On to your next post. Better paint the inside as well, unless you want a rusty bumper.

kramer2k 04-30-2013 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwann01 (Post 3702891)
The crash bar serves several purposes. It protects the grill, winch if one is installed, and provides another place for lights. Other than that, it just looks good. On to your next post. Better paint the inside as well, unless you want a rusty bumper.

Looks good? :eek: That's definitely subjective. I found it hideous looking poking out beneath the sexy PSC Brawler Lite. I'm not sure I'd want lights mounted down that low either.

Ahh, wait a minute. Just realized you're talking about something different as I typed this. The crash bar isn't the same thing as the "brawler bar" or similarly styled stinger. ;)

The crash bar is the thin piece of metal that runs across the front of the Jeep behind the bumper connecting the frame rail ends.

From Ludski's picture here, you'll see the crash bar that drops down below the frame rails. Cut that sucker off. Grind down the cuts and paint them black.

http://imageshack.us/a/img685/4411/dsc0004rk.jpg