Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Build-your-own hard top storage dolly. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/build-your-own-hard-top-storage-dolly-238839.html)

mnhogrider 04-29-2013 02:50 PM

Build-your-own hard top storage dolly.

I know there are many threads started on this and there was a link that showed all the pieces, measurements and parts needed to build the wood dolly.

I've been searching, and all the links are dead for this info.

Does anybody have it?

Sgt93 04-29-2013 03:11 PM

It's a JK-Forum link so don't kill me.
DIY Hardtop Cart

SuperTJ 04-29-2013 03:25 PM

dolly

Here is mine two furniture dollys and three 2x4's and some bolts and screws.
I used some plans I found on line for the width and how high to make the back.
Parts list
1) 1 59 inch length of 1x2
2) 2 30 inch lengths of 2x4
3) 2 59 inch lengths of 2x4
4) 6 6 inch lengths of 2x4
5) 8 1/2 inch long wood screws
6) 2 1 1/2 inch wood screws
7) 20 3 inch long wood screws
8) 4 2 inch swivel wheels. Poly, plastic or metal wheels will all work - locking wheels are optional - recommended if your storage surface is uneven.
9) Optional: Two 12x2 cuts of Foam, felt or soft fabric

mnhogrider 04-29-2013 10:22 PM

That's what I needed. Thanks!

MagicMtnDan 06-25-2016 07:29 PM

You can easily build one of these:

http://www.jk-forum.com/forums/attac...d=617594&stc=1

And most of the info is here:
DIY Hardtop Cart (Yes, YOU CAN build it!)

Here's the rest of the info you'll need:

This design takes 2 pieces of 2" x 4" x 8' and 1 piece of 1" x 3" x 59"

Here's the "cut list"...
1 piece @ 59" long + 1 piece 30" long + 1 piece 6" long = one 2' x 4' x 8'
1 piece @ 59" long + 1 piece 30" long + 1 piece 6" long = one 2' x 4' x 8'
1 piece @ 59" long of 1" x 3"

Note: I used a third 30" piece in the middle to make sure the 1" x 3" is supported and won't sag. Also, the 2x4x6" stack is only 2 high (not 3). You will need to have a scrap piece of 2x4x12 in addition to the above pieces to make the 2 stacks of two 2x4's.

You'll need screws for the casters (1-1/2 or less" since a 2x4 is 1-1/2") typically 4 per caster = 16 screws (20 if you use these 1-1/2" screws for the 1x3).
You'll need screws to assemble the 2x4's typically 2 per corner (I suggest 2-1/2" long) = 8 screws (12 if you use a 3rd piece of 2x4 in the middle).
You'll need screws to assemble the 1" x 3" (you can use some 1-1/2" screws just add them to the above quantity of 16) = 4 screws.

You'll also need padding of some kind. I bought an anti-fatigue mat at Home Depot for $10 and cut it easily with a razor knife. It was easy to cut and bonus, the mat has lines running the length of it so I just followed them when razor knifing.

You'll need a staple gun and staples.
And you'll need a drill - pre-drilling the holes makes screwing much easier and you won't split the 1x3.
You'll want to have a second drill to drive in the screws.

It should take you about an hour to get the items at Home Depot and another hour or so to make the whole cart.

Have fun and good luck! :winner:

Ceandrews 06-26-2016 06:33 PM

Nice build. Appreciate the detail and thought. I went a slightly different route and cut down a sheet of 1/2 plywood to 3x6. Then screwed 2x4's underneath to make a frame and added wheels. To keep the top straight and upright I screwed together a couple of 2x4's and cut them 18" long. Then cut 2-1/2" off one end so they tapper. Added some scrap carpet and lastly some eye bolts to the sides so I can strap the whole thing down. Took about 2 hours and came out great.

unsocbl 06-26-2016 07:17 PM

Tagged for later

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

itsarthurc 06-26-2016 07:38 PM

Mine is sitting on this in the garage now. Will see if there are any issues when it's reinstalled in the fall. Works great so far but I May see if I can fit a hoist mechanism since its not a one man job to put it on the dolly. Awkward weight that the wife doesn't trust herself with.

/a

t.walsh16 06-27-2016 11:46 AM

Thank you for this post! You all just saved me a bunch of time trying to figure out dimensions!

Medic311 07-18-2016 11:22 PM

most of the storage dolly carts are for storing the hard top vertically. my home is 1950's construction. the garage ceiling is already low and then is further reduced by the actual garage door when open and then various air duct branches for the rooms and floors above. the staircase leading from the main hallway down into the basement actually gives me a large cut out storage area in the garage (under the staircase). for me, storing the hard top horizontally would be the ideal way to go for me since it would fill that space perfectly.

does anyone have any ideas on a horizontal dolly/platform? basically just sitting on the dolly in the orientation it would be sitting on my JKU.

i have the following laying around in the basement:
- some of the larger harbor freight dollies
- misc sheets of OSB
- excess carpet from a renovation

i was thinking of just fastening (2) of the larger harbor freight dollies to a sheet of OSB and gluing carpet down on the OSB.

thoughts?

AUjeepgirl23 09-06-2016 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 26625153)
most of the storage dolly carts are for storing the hard top vertically. my home is 1950's construction. the garage ceiling is already low and then is further reduced by the actual garage door when open and then various air duct branches for the rooms and floors above. the staircase leading from the main hallway down into the basement actually gives me a large cut out storage area in the garage (under the staircase). for me, storing the hard top horizontally would be the ideal way to go for me since it would fill that space perfectly.

does anyone have any ideas on a horizontal dolly/platform? basically just sitting on the dolly in the orientation it would be sitting on my JKU.

i have the following laying around in the basement:
- some of the larger harbor freight dollies
- misc sheets of OSB
- excess carpet from a renovation

i was thinking of just fastening (2) of the larger harbor freight dollies to a sheet of OSB and gluing carpet down on the OSB.

thoughts?

Did you build the platform?

Medic311 09-06-2016 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AUjeepgirl23 (Post 27266826)
Did you build the platform?

i'll be doing it this weekend

05Sport 09-06-2016 12:46 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Medic311 (Post 26625153)
most of the storage dolly carts are for storing the hard top vertically. my home is 1950's construction. the garage ceiling is already low and then is further reduced by the actual garage door when open and then various air duct branches for the rooms and floors above. the staircase leading from the main hallway down into the basement actually gives me a large cut out storage area in the garage (under the staircase).

fwiw, i built the vertical cart from attached instructions

storage space required
77" tall, 64 " wide, 34" deep

Medic311 09-06-2016 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 05Sport (Post 27268114)
fwiw, i built the vertical cart from attached instructions

storage space required
77" tall, 64 " wide, 34" deep

yeah that's what I was going to go with first, but took measurements and due to the air duct that runs along the ceiling and cuts my garage in half, it would be confined to 1/2 of my garage. with my horizontal dolly, I can shove it under a staircase overhang and move it out if need be all over the garage

I guess this is what happens when you buy a home built in the 1950's. actually technically the 40's...it was built 1946 right at the start of the boom. I envy those with new construction homes with those really tall ceilings!

OldMaster 09-06-2016 01:54 PM

Thank you all for the info !!

goathead75 09-06-2016 01:57 PM

These are similar to the one I made too. One tip, I found that it was cheaper to buy a furniture dolly and take the wheels off that than to buy the caster wheels separately.

MagicMtnDan 09-06-2016 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goathead75 (Post 27269594)
These are similar to the one I made too. One tip, I found that it was cheaper to buy a furniture dolly and take the wheels off that than to buy the caster wheels separately.

Yup, did that. Bought a furniture dolly from Harbor Freight. BUT, the wheels are quite small and limit use to mostly flat, smooth floors.

rubitron2015 09-07-2016 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicMtnDan (Post 27277122)

Yup, did that. Bought a furniture dolly from Harbor Freight. BUT, the wheels are quite small and limit use to mostly flat, smooth floors.

That is what I did as well.