Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Rear ends and axle shafts. (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/rear-ends-and-axle-shafts-238875.html)

FR0STY 04-29-2013 03:33 PM

Rear ends and axle shafts.

I don't know where this should go but here seems like a good spot.

I have a Dana 44 (I think) in the rear end and it's only spinning one tire. Lifted it up and the passenger tire spins freely with a slight clicking noise. Any idea what it is. My dad says it's the bearings but wouldn't it still spin the tire? Help please.

JYJ 04-30-2013 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FR0STY (Post 3697187)
I don't know where this should go but here seems like a good spot.

I have a Dana 44 (I think) in the rear end and it's only spinning one tire. Lifted it up and the passenger tire spins freely with a slight clicking noise. Any idea what it is. My dad says it's the bearings but wouldn't it still spin the tire? Help please.

If the left side is locked, it could b a snapped axle or maybe the brakes on that side r hanging up. Idk.

PStov98TJ 04-30-2013 11:56 AM

Doubt its a snapped axle... wouldn't the tire be falling out then as well?

When you say its only spinning one tire, is that on the ground as well when you hit the gas?

freeskier 04-30-2013 12:08 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by PStov98TJ (Post 3701427)
Doubt its a snapped axle... wouldn't the tire be falling out then as well?

When you say its only spinning one tire, is that on the ground as well when you hit the gas?

Only on c-clip axles will the tire/shaft walk out. The D44 is not a c-clip axle and the shafts are retained by the bearings.

PStov98TJ 04-30-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 3701476)
Only on c-clip axles will the tire/shaft walk out. The D44 is not a c-clip axle and the shafts are retained by the bearings.

Makes sense. Now that I think of it, all the pictures I've seen of broken axles were of the D35 which is a c-clip if I'm not mistaken. Learned my one new thing for the day :D

Colin 04-30-2013 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier

Will the shaft still walk out when the bearings holding your axle shaft in your d44 explode? I swear mine was sticking a good ways out when my bearings went

FR0STY 04-30-2013 02:21 PM

Yes. When I hit the gas it's only spinning the drivers side. When its on a lift, The passenger side tire will move back and forth a little. And it's leaking something out of that side right where the hub is.

FR0STY 04-30-2013 02:22 PM

And how bad is it to drive like this? Haha cause I really don't feel like tearing the rear end apart till this weekend.

lynn 04-30-2013 02:32 PM

Jack up the rear, both tires off the ground

Engine off.
Trans in neutral.
Spin one rear tire forward with your hand.

Describe what happens to the other tire, and what you hear.

FR0STY 04-30-2013 04:09 PM

Spin the drivers side and it spins the drive shaft.

Spin the passenger side and it has a little wabble in it and clicks. When I spin this on the drive shaft doesn't move.

Neither side spins the other tire.

DutchmansLJ 05-01-2013 08:13 PM

well i dont have alot of experience in this but i would assume the shaft is broken, since its up on the lift just remove the shaft it doesnt hurt anything as long as u dont lose any parts, for me it took me 10 min to pull apart the caliper and bolts holding the shaft to the axel and it was out