Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   What wheels to get (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/what-wheels-to-get-239128.html)

fishslayer 04-29-2013 08:48 PM

What wheels to get
 
I recently purchased an all stock 03 rubicon, Daily driver and weekend toy. I am waiting for my DPG Ultimate lift to get here and I want to run 33x12.50s What size wheels should I go with 15 or 16, and do i need a certain offset to avoid rubbing? , also looking at the Toyo Open country MT tires. any help would be greatly appreciated

JeepersCreep3rs 04-29-2013 09:20 PM

Get a 16 as the 15s are slowly dieing off and are harder to find a tire that accommodates a 15.

fishslayer 04-29-2013 09:26 PM

I heard that from my local tire dealer but the guy i bought my lift from said that i should go with 15s so I could get a C-rated tire which would be better for offroading, and it is almost impossible to find 16s that are c-rated.

JeepersCreep3rs 04-29-2013 09:38 PM

Is your jeep a dd or strictly a play toy?

fishslayer 05-01-2013 10:08 AM

mostly a dd

JeepersCreep3rs 05-01-2013 10:21 AM

Then get a 16 cause you'll want a tire that has good on road capability

Finno 05-01-2013 10:31 AM

I have 16" wheels with C- Rated Duratrac tires. Just research the tires you want before you decide to buy the wheels, and if you are set on a C-rated tire just find the sizes available. Good luck!

n00g7 05-01-2013 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreep3rs (Post 3705714)
Then get a 16 cause you'll want a tire that has good on road capability

1 inch wont make a difference, there are plenty of tires out there for 15's. If you said 35's, I'd personally go 16 to fit bigger brakes given that you're mostly on the street, but 15 are good for 33's.

Neil F. 05-01-2013 10:55 AM

There are plenty of off road and AT 15's tires available. You can compaire prices yourself but 15's are cheaper than 16's

JeepersCreep3rs 05-01-2013 11:06 AM

There's tires with 15s but a 16 has more variety.

n00g7 05-01-2013 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreep3rs (Post 3705877)
There's tires with 15s but a 16 has more variety.

Sure, in tires and sizes nobody is going to buy for a jeep. Challenge: find 1 mud, AT, etc. tire in 31-35inch not offered for 15in wheel.

JeepersCreep3rs 05-01-2013 11:43 AM

Can't get a Nitto trail grappler in 35x12.5r15

jeepinmike 05-01-2013 12:27 PM

What's wrong with the stock rims?? If you are ok sticking with them find a metric equivalent to roughly a 33x10.5x16.... It would not be a perfect 1 to 1 size, but you can get close.

OhSixTJ 05-01-2013 12:32 PM

Tires for 15's are significantly cheaper too!

OhSixTJ 05-01-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreep3rs (Post 3706043)
Can't get a Nitto trail grappler in 35x12.5r15

Nittos stink :p

n00g7 05-01-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreep3rs (Post 3706043)
Can't get a Nitto trail grappler in 35x12.5r15

He doesn't want 35's, it does come in 33. Also, that tire doesn't come in 12.5 section width for 33's on a 16in wheel. Lame.

Huelsmma 05-01-2013 12:47 PM

I had more than enough options for finding 33x12.5x15 last week when I bought my set & along with new wheels.

JeepersCreep3rs 05-01-2013 03:47 PM

I found a pair of 35x12.5r16s just in metric measurement.

Gary2 05-01-2013 05:01 PM

I had sold my OE Moabs a while back and went with 15s . Their is plenty to choose from . I just found that I prefered more back spacing than the average 15 had . I just think a 12.50 33 is not that big of a tire to stick out like they do on a 3.75 BS wheel . I ended up buying another set of Moabs , sold the 15" set up and bought a set of 285-75 -16 Cooper STT. My only problem with 16" is the fact most are E rated which means heavy like in 10ply . Their is a few D . It gets twice the compliments with the Moabs and drives better

fishslayer 05-01-2013 06:43 PM

I appreciate all the help and there is nothing wrong with the OE Moabs I may just stick with those for now and upgrade the tires, still waiting on all my lift parts to arrive, so I have some time.

n00g7 05-01-2013 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fishslayer (Post 3707440)
I appreciate all the help and there is nothing wrong with the OE Moabs I may just stick with those for now and upgrade the tires, still waiting on all my lift parts to arrive, so I have some time.


Depending on the 33's you get you'll likely need spacers and/or adjust steering radius. Spacers will for sure work, but aren't a really desirable option.

5spdftw 05-01-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeepersCreep3rs (Post 3698990)
Get a 16 as the 15s are slowly dieing off and are harder to find a tire that accommodates a 15.

Uh, no. Sorry. The VAST majority of tires worth running on wranglers come in sizes for 15" wheels. There may be one or two exceptions but all of the big names have what we need. For anything up to 35s on a TJ, stick with 15" wheels. JKs need bigger wheels to accomodate larger brakes. Added bonus, tires for 15' wheels are cheaper. :thumb:

n00g7 05-02-2013 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5spdftw (Post 3708498)
Uh, no. Sorry. The VAST majority of tires worth running on wranglers come in sizes for 15" wheels. There may be one or two exceptions but all of the big names have what we need. For anything up to 35s on a TJ, stick with 15" wheels. JKs need bigger wheels to accomodate larger brakes. Added bonus, tires for 15' wheels are cheaper. :thumb:

Personally, I would probably do 16's with 35's to fit a larger brake kit up front. Personal preference, of course. Anything under 35 and 15's are definitely the way to go.

Johnnybonkel 05-02-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3709111)

personally, i would probably do 16's with 35's to fit a larger brake kit up front. Personal preference, of course. Anything under 35 and 15's are definitely the way to go.

x2

JeepersCreep3rs 05-02-2013 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n00g7 (Post 3709111)

personally, i would probably do 16's with 35's to fit a larger brake kit up front. Personal preference, of course. Anything under 35 and 15's are definitely the way to go.

x3

5spdftw 05-03-2013 12:40 AM

Ok, now how many of you have larger brakes than the Vanco 15" kit?

n00g7 05-03-2013 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 5spdftw (Post 3713525)
Ok, now how many of you have larger brakes than the Vanco 15" kit?

I don't plan on running 35's, so I'm getting the 15" kit, unfortunately they've been on back order for quite some time.

Going from stock 30's/31's to something like a 33x12.5 results in a significant increase in traction due to a larger contact patch and rotational inertia due to tire weight and tire radius. At minimum, better pads, preferably better brakes.

Going to 35's further exaggerates those issues. If you can lock up 35's with a 15" kit, good for you, but I'm not going to cheat myself on adding a margin of safety to my breaking performance for another $20 per tire -- not in california anyways with the way people drive here and average traffic flow speeds of 75-80.

Plus, I like a pair of brakes that will rip your face off, it's the best feature of my M3.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:23 PM.