Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Stupid deer (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/stupid-deer-239148.html)

Pink_Percy 04-29-2013 09:22 PM

Stupid deer

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 242987

Attachment 242988

Attachment 242989

dredg009 04-29-2013 09:26 PM

Your ok? think how much worse it could have been. my uncle hit one in his truck and got a collapsed lung from the antler coming through the windshield at 50 mph. Glad your ok and it just looks like bumper and fender damage

PHILDABEAST 04-29-2013 09:26 PM

Sorry man that sucks. My wife almost got one this morning in the middle of town.

Phil.Dye 04-29-2013 09:28 PM

Well that sucks, but at least you seem to be okay. Looks like some new MetalCloaks may be in your immediate future.

Pink_Percy 04-29-2013 09:30 PM

Yeah I'm fine. Bumper made it. Fender is trashed and it tweaked the hood. The passenger side hood latch broke off from impact. The grill is trashed and the grill support brackets are all bent to hell. Waiting for daylight to see if there's anymore damage. It drives straight and no shimmies so that all seems good. There were 3 deer and I caught the third one

1rbotma 04-29-2013 10:03 PM

that sucks.. glad you're ok.. now its time to mod/upgrade/and buy new parts.

but really glad youre ok

Pink_Percy 05-01-2013 06:41 PM

$3718 worth of damage. Good thing that deer died

Gold Miner 05-01-2013 06:54 PM

Sorry to see that. I hit a Deer with mine years ago but fared a little better than that thankfully. $2100 for mine but it was barely noticeable and it still wears most of the minor scars. I just cashed, bought a new windshield, and made a bunch of car payments with it back then.
Yours will need some work. Glad you're ok!

n00g7 05-01-2013 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pink_Percy (Post 3707430)
$3718 worth of damage. Good thing that deer died

To me, it doesn't look like your bumper is fine. Call up insurance and have that sucker replaced with something bigger along with the rest of the front of your jeep.

scavanau 05-05-2013 08:44 AM

I hope you ate the deer for the ultimate payback

Steve305 05-05-2013 09:51 AM

You got the third one. That's what usually happens. Any time I see a deer cross the road, I always look to the area it came from because I know there will usually be another one following behind. I actually had one run into the side of a vehicle a few months ago. :nonono: They ain't real smart about crossing the roadways. Glad you're OK ... that sheet metal is easier to fix than skin & bones. ;)

Atthehop 05-05-2013 10:52 AM

Deer are not stupid, it's the driver that does not pay attention to his surroundings. If you live in a deer populated area, I do, you must always keep one eye on the side of the road for one. Do you really think the deer wanted to jump in front of you to commit suicide.

krisbman 05-05-2013 11:18 AM

I agree that deer are not stupid but sometimes its unavoidable. You can be alert and aware yet they jump out in front of you and often times double back. You shouldnt read the guy the riot act.

s14sh3r 05-05-2013 11:41 AM

I've hit 7 deer and dodged countless. 2 of the deer ran into the side of the truck I was driving. I never saw them until I heard the bang and looked in the mirror and saw them.The roads I drive are often pretty elevated with no shoulder to speak of, with heavy woods on either side. You don't see them until they actually jump out on the road. By then, it's often too late. There have been several people in the area who have had worse accidents, even some fatal ones, from trying to dodge a deer. Vehicles are replaceable, you aren't. Glad you're ok.

cchartrand 05-05-2013 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop
Deer are not stupid, it's the driver that does not pay attention to his surroundings. If you live in a deer populated area, I do, you must always keep one eye on the side of the road for one. Do you really think the deer wanted to jump in front of you to commit suicide.

With all do respect, deer ARE dumb. I don't know about your neck of the woods, but up here in New England, it's not uncommon for a deer to run head long into the side of your vehicle.
I see a deer and assume there are more behind them. Never hit one. That being said, I've been a passenger in a vehicle that was literally broadsided by a deer.....

cchartrand 05-05-2013 12:03 PM

We won't even get into moose!!!

bmanrkg3 05-05-2013 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scavanau (Post 3721078)
I hope you ate the deer for the ultimate payback

Cooked on the manifold for that deep revenge flavor!

Steve305 05-05-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Atthehop (Post 3721396)

Well Dude ....... I take offense to you insinuating that I am stupid. Bite Me. :D

But WAIT ........ I guess I should have seen the one that jumped into my passenger door. :nonono:

RevCo666 05-05-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Totally agree with Atthehop: I live in an area heavily populated by wildlife, moose, deer, bears so really drivers need to be extra careful, and based on OP pictures, looks very woodland area to me... Unless he may of been distracted...and not paying attention to his surroundings. But of course we'll never know.

n00g7 05-05-2013 07:08 PM

Quote:

I wish they jumped in front of my bullets more often so I don't have to go hungry for dinner.

Also, deer aren't the smartest animal in god's shed.

wranglerbob1 05-05-2013 07:33 PM

Had one run into side of my pick up, hit another 4 in PA over the years then on the first day of bear season hit a bear around 5 miles from the hunting camp. Lived in Canada for 4 years and could not imagine hitting a Moose.
Glad your OK though. Jerky and back straps?

SnoHam13 05-05-2013 07:33 PM

time to get out the welder and make a ''deer catcher''
made one for our youngest son on his Suzuki Samuari
got several yoties and a 2 fer on venison out in Montana
the sammy did well on all the engagements:thumb:

its on the long list for our 97 wrangler this year

SnoHam 13

wranglerbob1 05-05-2013 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevCo666 (Post 3722584)
rotglmao

LOL, Saw a kid on a skate board going down side of road texting last week. He road into a pole then face planted on the ground.
PRICELESS :rofl:

RevCo666 05-05-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wranglerbob1 (Post 3722834)
LOL, Saw a kid on a skate board going down side of road texting last week. He road into a pole then face planted on the ground.
PRICELESS :rofl:

:facepalm: atleast it was a pole and not a person. I remember when i had my old ranger, travelling the may long weekend to our party campsite and ended up slowed to a crawl while 2 huge mooses were trotting slow on the shoulder right next to us for several minutes. We gave them all the leadway they required without incident and appreciation and awe.

freeskier 05-05-2013 09:51 PM

If you pay nearly 4k to fix that you're a sucker.

Pink_Percy 05-06-2013 05:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 3723388)
If you pay nearly 4k to fix that you're a sucker.

Please explain

ThatWhiteMachine101 05-06-2013 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freeskier (Post 3723388)
if you pay nearly 4k to fix that you're a sucker.

x2

Raiderfan001 05-06-2013 05:49 AM

Quote:

Riiiight because every single accident is avoidable right? Sometimes sh*t happens even when you are driving safe and paying attention. And if deer are so smart why are they running in front of moving cars? They can hear a twig snap or smell a hunter's fart from a quarter mile away but they can't avoid a moving car? :rolleyes:

Pink_Percy 05-06-2013 11:52 AM

$4 grand is what the body shop quoted to the insurance company. I have no control over the price. I guess for 2 fenders, hood, grill, bumper, fogs, flare and paint adds up pretty quick. I don't know, I'm not a body shop. I'll pay my deductable and call it a day. Plus their doing an alignment

n00g7 05-06-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pink_Percy (Post 3724995)
$4 grand is what the body shop quoted to the insurance company. I have no control over the price. I guess for 2 fenders, hood, grill, bumper, fogs, flare and paint adds up pretty quick. I don't know, I'm not a body shop. I'll pay my deductable and call it a day. Plus their doing an alignment

Ask them for a bigger front bumper to greet the next deer too.

Body work is expensive, and likewise I wouldn't care about the price if I'm not paying it -- as long as the best shop in town is doing the work.