Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   How much higher with lift kit and tires? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/how-much-higher-with-lift-kit-and-tires-239209.html)

Froglips 04-30-2013 09:23 AM

How much higher with lift kit and tires?

As I prepared to purchase a 3" lift kit and Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 33 x 12.5 R17LTs, I noticed as my wife drove my 2012 JKU Sahara into the garage that there was only about 6" between the rear of the roof and the garage door as she entered.

Anyone want to hazard a guess on how much height the tires and lift kit will add to the current JK?

Froggie

Birdman86 04-30-2013 09:30 AM

no more than 5". Worst case scenario you have the 29" diameter tires now, put on 33" tires, that's 2" of lift (at "best"), + a 3" lift will net you about 4"-5". But you have a Sahara, I think they are larger than the regular sport 29" tires, and heavier than a sport. You'll be fine.

TwoJeepsinTx 04-30-2013 09:36 AM

And if you end up just a hair too tall then you just need heavy duty bumpers to sag it down a little bit. "Honey, it's cheaper than a new garage."

ahsumtoy 04-30-2013 10:05 AM

Great Thinking

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwoJeepsinTx (Post 3700772)
And if you end up just a hair too tall then you just need heavy duty bumpers to sag it down a little bit. "Honey, it's cheaper than a new garage."

I love how you think.

I believe the new Sahara comes with P255/70R18 tires. That makes your tires 30". If you are getting 33's, you are adding 1 1/2" for height. Add another 3" for your lift. You should be OK. What I would do is put on P305/65R17 and run 17" wheels and you should clear with no problems at all.

chipmonk66gt 04-30-2013 10:29 AM

They have 32" tires or close to it.

live_slow 04-30-2013 10:38 AM

We were talking about this too. Most full-on coil lifts give somewhere between .5 and 1 inch more than advertised. So a 3" starts off as 3.5 or 4". Again, perfect excuse to buy more skids, heavy bumpers and a winch and gears to push it all around becuase it's a little cheaper than a new house with a taller garage!

Froglips 04-30-2013 11:02 AM

Gotta love the way you guys think:)

I have a Harbor Freight 12,000# winch. I am ordering a front and rear bumper as I understand the larger wheels and tires won't work with the factory spare tire mount.

The JKU has a "running downhill" aspect to it. Will the lift kit level out the JKU or is there some reason for the nose down aspect?

Froggie

onetraveller 04-30-2013 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Froglips (Post 3701076)
Gotta love the way you guys think:)

I have a Harbor Freight 12,000# winch. I am ordering a front and rear bumper as I understand the larger wheels and tires won't work with the factory spare tire mount.

The JKU has a "running downhill" aspect to it. Will the lift kit level out the JKU or is there some reason for the nose down aspect?

Froggie

Some 33s will fit on the rear carrier, it depends on the backspacing on the rims you buy. Of course, if your wife is already convinced that you need a new tire carrier, mount it up. :D

Whether the lift kit levels out the rake also depends on the lift you buy. Some do, some don't.

Mike