Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   General Jeep Discussion (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/)
-   -   IFS Conversion for a Wrangler - Would you do it? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f19/ifs-conversion-for-a-wrangler-would-you-do-it-239222.html)

TheDesertOutlaw 04-30-2013 10:57 AM

IFS Conversion for a Wrangler - Would you do it?
 
This modification costs big money. But, look at these results!
Would you do it?

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...40333196_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...37538933_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...20254438_n.jpg

https://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...95260841_n.jpg

ratchettt 04-30-2013 11:28 AM

Holy s***

How much?

derf 04-30-2013 01:16 PM

Dear god why would you want to turn a Wrangler into an inadequate mall cruiser?

joeuncool 04-30-2013 01:17 PM

They don't show the Jeep kit on their website. Based on some of the other pricing I would say the kit would be around 5k-6k.

Wranglin4Life 04-30-2013 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 3701501)
Dear god why would you want to turn a Wrangler into an inadequate mall cruiser?

Lol. If you do that you could probably get into the FJ club and you guys could Rome the mall parking lot hoping curbs and stuff

cbell77 04-30-2013 02:35 PM

WHY don't understand. I feel like I need to clean myswlf now.

commodore_dude 04-30-2013 02:52 PM

I guess if you're gonna go run the Baja 1000 or something else like that in a JK it would make sense? Which would be pretty cool, I've always thought it's pretty stupid that the only American truck running in the Dakar rally is a few old race-prepped H3s. Seems like a JKU with this sort of setup and a built Hemi could be a contender as well. For any other use, it does seem silly at best.

aelwero 04-30-2013 03:02 PM

why did I look... :banghead:

Dextreme 04-30-2013 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by commodore_dude (Post 3701895)
I guess if you're gonna go run the Baja 1000 or something else like that in a JK it would make sense? Which would be pretty cool, I've always thought it's pretty stupid that the only American truck running in the Dakar rally is a few old race-prepped H3s. Seems like a JKU with this sort of setup and a built Hemi could be a contender as well. For any other use, it does seem silly at best.

Yeah, I could see it being a benefit for high speed desert racing/rally applications.

6InARowMakesItGo 04-30-2013 05:53 PM

not only would i not do it, i'd have to seriously consider not talking to someone i knew if they did it.

BlueRidgeYJ 04-30-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dextreme (Post 3702257)

Yeah, I could see it being a benefit for high speed desert racing/rally applications.

Yup. IFS definately has a place, that's why most side-by-sides and atvs as well as pickups have it.

That said, I agree with the concensus here - Why, oh why, would anyone do that? That's like nuedering your Jeep, and I wouldn't dream of being paid to do it, would not for a second entertain doing it for free, and would push the Jeep off the Blueridge and watch her kerplode before I paid someone one red penny to do that. Go buy a tacoma, it comes that way.

bondosgto 04-30-2013 09:21 PM

So how fast could you take the speed bumps at the mall with that thing?

goin camping 04-30-2013 09:37 PM

Uh, no.

JPi4.0 04-30-2013 09:37 PM

I'll be the first to say, that's pretty badass! Workmanship is fantastic. High speed play has to be unreal. Nice!

WatchThis! 04-30-2013 11:41 PM

Lets see..... Dana 60 center chunk, RCVs and heavy duty contrrol arms with coilovers. Damn right I would do it if I needed it. But I don't have a need for it.

Funny thing this thing will take LOTS more abuse then the jeeps of people who clame that it is no good and week like some kind of stock IFS set up on a 1/2 truck. I guess the trophy trucks and Ultra4 buggys that are running IFS are week also?

derf 05-01-2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 3702848)
Yup. IFS definately has a place, that's why most side-by-sides and atvs as well as pickups have it.

Most pickups have it specifically to improve handling on road, where 99.99% of all pickups spend their entire life.

BlueRidgeYJ 05-01-2013 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3704043)
Lets see..... Dana 60 center chunk, RCVs and heavy duty contrrol arms with coilovers. Damn right I would do it if I needed it. But I don't have a need for it.

Funny thing this thing will take LOTS more abuse then the jeeps of people who clame that it is no good and week like some kind of stock IFS set up on a 1/2 truck. I guess the trophy trucks and Ultra4 buggys that are running IFS are week also?

Nobody said it was weak, just pointless. Want a buggy? Get a buggy. Jeeps aren't those.

Now if ya took one-fourth what you would spend on that conversion and put it into the suspension and drivetrain of a 1/2 (or even 1/4) truck, would it still be 'weak'? No.

Quote:

Originally Posted by derf (Post 3704230)

Most pickups have it specifically to improve handling on road, where 99.99% of all pickups spend their entire life.

Sort of, but not really. It provides a 'better' ride everywhere, most notably offroad, but limits capabilities. Atvs and side-bys are ORVs, yet have IFS... but the engineers did put em in most vehicles so your eggs would make it home OK, yes.

I use the word 'better' loosely there. The better ride is the one that gets ya there, and solid axles allow that more often. Ride on top, not in the middle; Civics and Corollas ride in the middle. Jeeps are the only vehicle in their class to have a solid axle, you gotta go 3/4 truck to get it elsewhere, like a F250 or 2500. Again, why on earth would you take it out?

WatchThis! 05-01-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 3705135)

Nobody said it was weak, just pointless. Want a buggy? Get a buggy. Jeeps aren't those.

Not everyone wants a buggy. For what I have in my jeep I could have built/bought a damned nice buggy. I wanted something I ckuld wheel fairly hard and drive home afterwards. Just because you might not understand it don't mean its pointless.

Moabrubi 05-01-2013 12:55 PM

That's pretty badass. Bet it hauls some serious ass.

The haters on here are funny. They have no idea how nice that is.

BlueRidgeYJ 05-01-2013 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3705395)

Not everyone wants a buggy. For what I have in my jeep I could have built/bought a damned nice buggy. I wanted something I ckuld wheel fairly hard and drive home afterwards. Just because you might not understand it don't mean its pointless.

Uh, you compared the ~5500$ suspension upgrade to those found in trophy trucks and buggies. I was saying if you want to turn your wrangler into a buggie, you should buy a buggie. 5k will get a good start and a trailer. 5k will also get another vehicle with IFS you can wheel fairly hard and drive home, like a 87 yota with a bobtail.

So,
1 Jeep without a solid axle, or
1 Jeep with a solid axle AND another IFS vehicle
Same price.

Fine craftsmanship, wonderful install, top-notch componants - and totally pointless. Coming from race cars, rice cars, and pimpmobiles to jeeps, I can appreciate the ground hugging abilities of an IDS, or the brillance of an IDS applied for desert racing like toyota has been doing for 30 years, or that same IDS in the AWD Celica that holds (iirc still holds) the Pikes Peak track record. That thing is simply pointless. Or a waste of money, to be a bit more blunt about it. :)

WatchThis! 05-01-2013 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 3707209)

Uh, you compared the ~5500$ suspension upgrade to those found in trophy trucks and buggies. I was saying if you want to turn your wrangler into a buggie, you should buy a buggie. 5k will get a good start and a trailer. 5k will also get another vehicle with IFS you can wheel fairly hard and drive home, like a 87 yota with a bobtail.

So,
1 Jeep without a solid axle, or
1 Jeep with a solid axle AND another IFS vehicle
Same price.

Fine craftsmanship, wonderful install, top-notch componants - and totally pointless. Coming from race cars, rice cars, and pimpmobiles to jeeps, I can appreciate the ground hugging abilities of an IDS, or the brillance of an IDS applied for desert racing like toyota has been doing for 30 years, or that same IDS in the AWD Celica that holds (iirc still holds) the Pikes Peak track record. That thing is simply pointless. Or a waste of money, to be a bit more blunt about it. :)

I haven't priced this but I guarantee you it is not 5k. Unless you are just talking about the parts for the control arms and knuckles. You still have the center section and RCV shafts and coilovers.This is not some cheap weak setup we are talking about here. This could very well be way stronger then 99% of the jeeps on this forum. And an IFS setup will allways out performe a SFA setup of the same strenght. It just cost a whole lot more to build a IFS that is strong.

If you think you can wheel a 5k vehicle hard and drive it home then I guess we have two totally diffrent ideas of what wheeling hard is.


Like I said before I can see why someone would want it. And this is coming from someone who is involved in rock crawling with buggys and jeeps. Works the pits on three different offroad race teams with 3 diffrent UTVs, a jeep and two buggys one of wich is an Ultra4 rig, and has been to KOH as a pit crew member on two teams. I don't clame to know everthing but I do know there are people who would love a setup like this and are willing to pay for it. For one thing it would make a bad ass parts runner/chase jeep.


I personally think some things are silly but I don't call them pointless and a waste of money just because I don't like it or dont understand it. To do so would be a bit ........douche bagish of me, to be a bit blunt about it.

BlueRidgeYJ 05-01-2013 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WatchThis! (Post 3707376)

I haven't priced this but I guarantee you it is not 5k. Unless you are just talking about the parts for the control arms and knuckles. You still have the center section and RCV shafts and coilovers.This is not some cheap weak setup we are talking about here. This could very well be way stronger then 99% of the jeeps on this forum. And an IFS setup will allways out performe a SFA setup of the same strenght. It just cost a whole lot more to build a IFS that is strong.

If you think you can wheel a 5k vehicle hard and drive it home then I guess we have two totally diffrent ideas of what wheeling hard is.

Like I said before I can see why someone would want it. And this is coming from someone who is involved in rock crawling with buggys and jeeps. Works the pits on three different offroad race teams with 3 diffrent UTVs, a jeep and two buggys one of wich is an Ultra4 rig, and has been to KOH as a pit crew member on two teams. I don't clame to know everthing but I do know there are people who would love a setup like this and are willing to pay for it. For one thing it would make a bad ass parts runner/chase jeep.

I personally think some things are silly but I don't call them pointless and a waste of money just because I don't like it or dont understand it. To do so would be a bit ........douche bagish of me, to be a bit blunt about it.

Thanks for proving my point about the costs associated with it, and congratulations on an exciting offroad career. I wouldn't buy a shovel and turn it into a hammer, not even a really badass one, but that's me. To each his own, though. And to each their own opinion.

Oh yeah, I beat the snot out of my yota, paid 1200$ for it and it broke less often than my jeep has, despite being 7 years older. I didn't even spend the countless fortune on taking the 'weak' out of it.

There is no need for personal insults, sorry if your cornflakes got pissed in.

Cheers

UnlimitedLJ04 05-01-2013 09:06 PM

I'd roll with something like this:
Go fast IFS TJ Build - Pirate4x4.Com : 4x4 and Off-Road Forum

WatchThis! 05-01-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueRidgeYJ (Post 3707520)

Thanks for proving my point about the costs associated with it, and congratulations on an exciting offroad career. I wouldn't buy a shovel and turn it into a hammer, not even a really badass one, but that's me. To each his own, though. And to each their own opinion.

Oh yeah, I beat the snot out of my yota, paid 1200$ for it and it broke less often than my jeep has, despite being 7 years older. I didn't even spend the countless fortune on taking the 'weak' out of it.

There is no need for personal insults, sorry if your cornflakes got pissed in.

Cheers

No ones corn flakes got pissed in, well not mine at least. Its just obvious you don't understand what is going on with a setup like this and why someone would want it or be willing to do it. Nothing wrong with that at all.

If your idea of something tough is something you had 1200 dallors in then we are no where near on the same page. (And no this is not an insult)

There is a huge difference in saying you wouldnt do something for whatever reasons VS saying there is no point in it or it is useless. There are people willing to spend the money on stuff like this and just because you can't or won't spend that kind of money(not an insult again) does not mean it is pointless.


And I stand behind my statement that trying to down grade something that in fact is very strong and useful if done right because you don't understand it, or maybe can't afford it, or are not willing to spend that kind of money on a mod, or are just not willing to admit that maybe you were wrong is hedging on the side of douche bagness.(also not an insult, I just call em like I see em)

BlueRidgeYJ 05-01-2013 11:07 PM

Oh, how I concede, oh Great One! You have so enlightened me to my ignorance and arrogance! How dare I question your incomprehensable wisdom and experience? How did I forget, you keep score with trophies and checkbocks and are "winning", right?

I gess I just does'nt haven that abilty ta underschtand dem tuff consepts like dis'in wheelie go up dat'in wheelie stays down. Supposin I's go bak to dem merntains and roll dem logs for ya.

Lmfao.

WatchThis! 05-01-2013 11:32 PM

Don't forget to bring me a beer before you push dem logs around. With the bottle top removed of course.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:43 PM.