Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   YJ Tech Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/)
-   -   Transfer Case Chain Issue (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f218/transfer-case-chain-issue-239230.html)

peety 04-30-2013 10:42 AM

Transfer Case Chain Issue
 
:banghead:
88 YJ
2.5 5-speed
NP231 Transfer Case (and a whole bunch of other stuff that has no bearing on the subject at hand)

1. Transfer case chain was slipping and making all kinds of racket
2. Bought a new chain from Quadratec, I drove there to get it and they assured me that it was the correct part
3. Split the case in the Jeep Saturday
4. Cleaned everything out and installed the new chain
5. Re-installed the rear case half
6. ATTEMPTED to reinstall the Oil Pump housing/output shaft bearing, no such luck, the shaft is 1/4-5/16" off to the 8 O'clock position
7 Tried a cheater bar, feet, yelling, and cursing to no avail.
8. Parked in my chicks garage, I'm VERY MUCH NOT TOO HAPPY...
9. Driving my buddys spare 5.9 Grand (nice change being able to pass up hills, lol)

Any Ideas ?
Pete

peety 05-01-2013 07:27 AM

I went to No Excuses in New Egypt and spoke to Jack yesterday after work. We determined that it would be far more cost effective to simply replace the T-case with a used unit which he knew to be in good condition. $250.00 out the door. :dance:

n2trucking 05-01-2013 09:35 AM

sorry about your luck. i wouldn't know how to help you fix this and i was gunna say when i gotta fix my t-case im just getting a whole new or used one and hopefully get a discount for turning in my old one im replacing.

peety 05-01-2013 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n2trucking (Post 3705531)
sorry about your luck. i wouldn't know how to help you fix this and i was gunna say when i gotta fix my t-case im just getting a whole new or used one and hopefully get a discount for turning in my old one im replacing.

According to Jack, there really isn't too much demand for the 21 spline cases as cores because they really dont break all that often, it's almost always a lubrication issue that causes the failures.
Pete

Matt10 05-01-2013 12:57 PM

I'm 17 and I rebuild my transfer case. It's not hard just take it out of the jeep and set in on a workbench. Buy a chain and rebuild kit and fix it for $200. Yes it is time consuming but on a hard meter is about a 5-6 out of 10

peety 05-01-2013 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt10 (Post 3706363)
I'm 17 and I rebuild my transfer case. It's not hard just take it out of the jeep and set in on a workbench. Buy a chain and rebuild kit and fix it for $200. Yes it is time consuming but on a hard meter is about a 5-6 out of 10

Matt,
I agree that it's a very easy job (I would put it in the 2-3 range), there were other issues to contend with internally. The pump was shot, and as a result, all of the bearings were toast as well. The chain was binding up, so the gears were getting chewed up too. I did price everything once I got it apart, didnt make financial and labor sense to polish the turd, just sayin...
Pete :thumb:

sevenservices 05-01-2013 02:44 PM

wow man, sounds frustrating.

look back through each part where two things mesh together and make sure nothing is out of place... thats about all I can think of. If it fit before, you'd think it would now. Thats why I'm thinking that. Is it possible a spacer is out of place? Something on the wrong side a gear? not sure... But I'd double check it all w/lots of good light.

Matt10 05-01-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by peety (Post 3706674)

Matt,
I agree that it's a very easy job (I would put it in the 2-3 range), there were other issues to contend with internally. The pump was shot, and as a result, all of the bearings were toast as well. The chain was binding up, so the gears were getting chewed up too. I did price everything once I got it apart, didnt make financial and labor sense to polish the turd, just sayin...
Pete :thumb:

Yeah I opened mine up and it was still good. Just got a rebuild kit for about $100 and a chain for the same price and did it myself. I had a shop quote me $1,000 for new case and labor. But if the inside is all chewed up it would be way easier and cheaper just to buy I used one I agree.

n2trucking 05-01-2013 07:35 PM

well when i cross that bridge hopefully i can make it to the other side without having to cross back over to fix something i did wrong!:facepalm:

peety 05-07-2013 03:23 PM

I put the "new" transfer case in last night, I didn't realize that the old one was such a POS. I can hear myself think again, huge difference. Mud test tonight after work !!

peety 05-08-2013 03:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Yup, they all turn now...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 AM.