Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   CJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/)
-   -   Help identifying this Jeep (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f298/help-identifying-this-jeep-239420.html)

Big Sarge 05-01-2013 05:32 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Trying to see if you all can help me identify what this Jeep is. I'm from the TJ forum and know enough about them just not too keen on the CJs. I'm guessing this is a CJ just have no clue what else. May have the chance to get it really cheap.

Timberline 05-01-2013 07:37 AM

That cowl induction on that little guy cracks me up. :rofl:

lynn 05-01-2013 08:48 AM

CJ5, 72 - 83.
Hard to pin down from these pics.

Check the frame rails under the door. If the frame gets wider just behind the door, and front springs are 2" wide, then it is 76 - 83.
If the frame is the same width the whole way back, and the front springs are only 1.75" wide, then it is 72-75.

Rubi513 05-01-2013 09:13 AM

Looks like a cj5 to me as well, but those fenders look like they might have been modified.

sinbob 05-01-2013 09:23 AM

:eek:WOW that will be a hell of a project..:hide:...hope u got deep pockets:dance: modified CJ5 What kinda motor?????

lynn 05-01-2013 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rubi513 (Post 3705446)
Looks like a cj5 to me as well, but those fenders look like they might have been modified.

Absolutely a CJ5, only the year is in question.
The fenders have been cut, "flatfender style". That doesn't matter for dating the rig... the only clue you can glean from the fenders is still visible and identifies it as between '72 and '83.
The engine shown is either an AMC 232 or 258.

If it's a '72 - '75, it should have a flanged D44 rear axle. If it's '76 - '83, it should have a n AMC 20 splined rear axle.
Does the center of the rear wheel have a big nut (AMC 20) or a flat plate (D44)?

Tarby 05-01-2013 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lynn (Post 3705869)
Absolutely a CJ5, only the year is in question.
The fenders have been cut, "flatfender style". That doesn't matter for dating the rig... the only clue you can glean from the fenders is still visible and identifies it as between '72 and '83.
The engine shown is either an AMC 232 or 258.

If it's a '72 - '75, it should have a flanged D44 rear axle. If it's '76 - '83, it should have a n AMC 20 splined rear axle.
Does the center of the rear wheel have a big nut (AMC 20) or a flat plate (D44)?

72-75...Can tell by the heater controls at bottom of the dash by gear shift...actually, may be 73-75...my 1972 didn't have the plastic cable retainer. It was all steel.

Nice to see ya Lynn!!

SuicideSaints 05-01-2013 12:03 PM

Def a CJ5, even if you can get it cheap I dont think rebuilding it will be cheap. A fun project though.....

Big Sarge 05-01-2013 12:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
So actually talked to the owner. He told me this was used for rock crawling!!!! Trying not to laugh I just said ok and asked a few more questions. He said something about the rear being welded I'm guessing spider gears. But he did say with a battery it will fire right up and run. Asking $650. Here is the data plate. Also has no title!

Goofyjumper 05-03-2013 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 3706158)
So actually talked to the owner. He told me this was used for rock crawling!!!! Trying not to laugh I just said ok and asked a few more questions. He said something about the rear being welded I'm guessing spider gears. But he did say with a battery it will fire right up and run. Asking $650. Here is the data plate. Also has no title!

$650 is too high of a price for that..... No windshield, tub looks bad, fenders are bad, I doubt the drive train is in decent shape. You could be looking at dumping thousands into it just to make it road safe.

myquite 05-12-2013 07:15 AM

Or even trail safe. Walk away briskly.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:06 AM.