Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Performance Chip (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/performance-chip-239667.html)

tinydancer 05-02-2013 06:02 AM

Performance Chip

I am thinking about getting a performance chip for my 2010 JK for a few reasons. One would be for more HP as I am running 295/70r17 on my JK and two, to try to get a little more fuel economy. I have looked at getting a tuner that will allow me to change the factory tune as well as calibrate my speedometer (it is off since I installed my larger tires). I have been reading about chips vs. tuners on the web but I am more confused now than before. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

TinyDancer 2010 JK and 1986 CJ

Raiderfan001 05-02-2013 06:26 AM

You won't see a huge difference. IMO the only thing that will show a really noticeable difference after bigger tires is regearing. I've got a Superchips tuner, aftermarket exhaust and K&N filter and it maybe adds 1 MPG. You'll see better MPG improvements by changing driving habits.

jdyowa 05-02-2013 07:19 AM

I have 285/75r16 duratracs and I added the Superchips Flashpaq
I run the 93 Octane tune and it is a noticeable difference. It's not a corvette (never will be) but there is an improvement. 1 -2 MPG on highway improvement also.

squirrel792 05-02-2013 08:03 AM

Tiny. I have the jegs chip in the mail. When i get it and put it in ill let u know what kind of difference it makes. I should receive it about this coming Mon or tues

Marc W 05-02-2013 08:06 AM

The "tune" that will give you more hp will require you move up to higher octane fuel. That increase may be noticable but small and will add to your operating cost due to the increase in the price of the gas over regular.
The only way you're going to see a improvement in milage is to drive very conservative. If you actually enjoy that increase in HP by using it, it will go the other way.
You would get better performance out of your 3.8 by regearing. You didn't say if you had a auto and what gearing you have now, but that motor needs effecient gearing to give it all the help it can get.

Don't believe the "60hp + 7mpg in fuel savings" ad that you see here. That's BS...:nonono:

Raiderfan001 05-02-2013 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc W (Post 3709715)
The "tune" that will give you more hp will require you move up to higher octane fuel.

Not quite true. There are 87, 89 and 91 octane tunes.

squirrel792 05-02-2013 08:19 AM

I only went with the stage one chip. I don't have exhaust mods to run the stage two. I didn't want to run the 91 Oct fuel. It suppose to increase hp 25hp. Well ill see.Im trying to make up for the heavy front bumper i put on it

squirrel792 05-02-2013 08:22 AM

But i also have the 3.6L in mine which has more hp and tork than the 3.8l does

ahsumtoy 05-02-2013 09:03 AM

I look at ROI

What's the return on investment. Let's say you get 1 mpg better. That gives you about 24 more miles per tank. If gas is about $3.50 a gal, you're saving about $4.42 a gas tank fill. If the chip cost $200, you have to fill up about 45 times just to break even. Some chips even cost more.

There are a lot of adds that say 6-7mpg better. I don't believe them. I had a chance to put on a cold air intake by AEM. They were claiming better mileage. I used it for a week, gave it back. I didn't notice anything and I took it on the same trip, using the same driving techniques and speed. I have heard (from other reviews and forums) that with older cars, trucks, jeeps, etc. these chips and intakes can make a difference, however on the newer engines, they really don't make a difference. I have a 2013 JKU by the way.

I would love to hear from others that have a newer Jeep about how they have worked for them.

squirrel792 05-02-2013 09:20 AM

I also unhooked my muffler off the back. That gave me a incr ease of 30 to 35 miles more per tank

MTH 05-02-2013 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tinydancer (Post 3709456)
I am thinking about getting a performance chip for my 2010 JK for a few reasons. One would be for more HP as I am running 295/70r17 on my JK and two, to try to get a little more fuel economy.

Snake oil. Don't believe the hype.

A tuner can tinker at the edges and change things like your speedometer, but the difference in hp and mpgs is going to be minuscule to non-existent.

You need a regear if you want more power. Don't waste your time on chips.

michiganadam 05-02-2013 11:33 AM

Get a supercharger ;) if you can afford those tires you can find the money :)

And regear.

dawhitesJKU 05-02-2013 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel792 (Post 3709762)
I only went with the stage one chip. I don't have exhaust mods to run the stage two. I didn't want to run the 91 Oct fuel. It suppose to increase hp 25hp. Well ill see.Im trying to make up for the heavy front bumper i put on it

No way will we expect 25hp on just minor bolts (exhaust/intake/chip) from our n/a engine.

Even going cheap will not live up to expectations. I learned that first hand. long story short, i spend xx amount of money on something i couldve done right the first time.
dawhitesfg2 turbo build'S - 8th Generation Honda Civic Forum

jkristie44 05-02-2013 12:12 PM

You guys pre 2011 are lucky. If I had one, I'd be all over the suuperchips trail dash! Hopefully they will have them soon for the 2012's and up.

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHLNKOkpG4A[/video]

michiganadam 05-02-2013 12:14 PM

Cool but i dont have lockers

squirrel792 05-02-2013 12:33 PM

Well obviously if i had 7,000 dollars i would go with a surcharger or something to that extreme. But i dont so Im going to have to make this work.unlike some people. I don't have money growing out of my ass. I have house payments and other vehicles as well

dawhitesJKU 05-02-2013 01:15 PM

@squirrel...if i offended you, i wasnt trying to. my case and point....forum member pieface. he dyno'd his jk with the y pipe, exhaust, and afe intake...although it did give him extra ponies, later on he decided to push for a ripp supercharger. If your happy with your chip, then thats all that matters.
http://www.wranglerforum.com/f33/afe...on-137259.html

squirrel792 05-02-2013 02:35 PM

No offense taken. I was just saying if i could do something like that then i would. I just have to go the route Im taking now and hope it makes a difference. Im just trying to get my mileage back up since i added all my extras on

squirrel792 05-02-2013 02:38 PM

I've looked into the 4:56 gears for the front and back axle . Might even try that route as well

dawhitesJKU 05-02-2013 02:51 PM

lower gearing would help a lot. i never heard any complaints at all about gearing change. best bang for the buck even though its stretching the wallet.

SnowboarderOx 05-02-2013 03:06 PM

Pull a popup trailer. Actually pulling the popup INCREASED my MPG. Without I drive 75 - 80. When pulling the trailer I slow down to 60ish.

Marc W 05-02-2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTH (Post 3710062)
Snake oil. Don't believe the hype.

A tuner can tinker at the edges and change things like your speedometer, but the difference in hp and mpgs is going to be minuscule to non-existent.

You need a regear if you want more power. Don't waste your time on chips.

Pretty much what I said....:thumb:

@squrrel..... If there was better fuel milage to be had, the Pentastar would already be tuned to get it. There's no way in this day that they would leave fuel milage on the table if it was just simply a matter of tuning.
There is probably some hp to be had and I will bet than in a couple years you'll see the Wrangler being advertised with 300hp. They leave some of that to give buyers a reason to need a new one in the future.
The chip people are just flat out lying when they boast big hp (25 is big) without going to higher octane gas. All they can do is change the fuel mapping (fuel to air ratios) and timing. Doing that basically leans it out and advances timing. That will cause it to detonate unless you have higher octane fuel.
When it comes to supercharging... tuning like this is critical and the results will be impressive. The chip manufactures use the fact that dyno tuning/chip burning do in fact result in big gains in supercharged and turbo charged engines and want you to think that a already highly tuned naturally aspirated engine like this will benifit in the same way. It won't.
A good example of where this engine is already, are the dyno results of the cold air intake and exhaust swap. Opening up the breathing on both ends to the max resulted in something like a peak hp gain of +5 hp and even less at the lower end.
Anyway... just trying to be helpful.

squirrel792 05-02-2013 03:38 PM

Ya i understand what ur talking about. I guess i shouldn't work about the mileage and deal with what i got. Its a jeep anyways

dawhitesJKU 05-02-2013 03:49 PM

It will be so much better if we get the claimed hp/tq in dd range....like 1-3k rpm.

COLOUJK 05-02-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by squirrel792 (Post 3711151)
I've looked into the 4:56 gears for the front and back axle . Might even try that route as well

Save your money from the tuner and apply it toward this. This is my plan to get back what I lost with 35's. The tuners do not give any noticeable increase in power numbers. When people say they do its with zero evidence to back it up. If I spent $350 on something that is supposed to make my jeep more powerful my but dyno better make sure it feels that way. Even though it will show almost nothing on a real dyno.

Rubi513 05-02-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkristie44 (Post 3710631)
You guys pre 2011 are lucky. If I had one, I'd be all over the suuperchips trail dash! Hopefully they will have them soon for the 2012's and up.

Lucky? I am guessing you have never sat behind the wheel of a 3.8 before? :rofl: