Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   TJ Horror Story. Yours? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/tj-horror-story-yours-239702.html)

tx_wolfman 05-02-2013 09:36 AM

TJ Horror Story. Yours?
 
MY very first post on the forum:
I bought a '06 Wrangler 2.4L w/ 69K miles on it. Man, this thing has been nothing but problems in the 3 months Ive had it.

First had to have the gas tank replaced for shooting gas out the filler neck when filling up, dealership covered that 100%. The dash cluster was replaced for no headlight chime, no interior lights coming on when the door was opened, this also fixed numerous other little problems.

The the big one hit. The engine shot the #3 spark plug right out of the head. YES, SHOT IT OUT! Dented the hood from underneath and everything. Stripped the threads right out of the head. So after a two week stay at Hotel Jeep Dealer and $2000 later I have a new cylinder head, new timing belt, new plugs, and new PCM (that took a crap while in their possession).

Update: This last weekend, we had terrible rain here. After driving in the almost hurricane style rain, I drove through a puddle that caused gysers out the front wheel wells......check engine light comes on and jeep stalls. Try to start again, nothing. No starter crank, NOTHING!! Back to the jeep dealer. They love seeing my jeep towed in at this point, 4th time it's been on a tow truck since 12/12. Fried the PCM again. Now they tell me since the PO had an alarm system installed (which was not in the jeep when I bought it) and the wiring under the dash is comprimised, they need to "reinstated the integrety" of the wiring. Long story short, more money out of my pocket. The PCM is on them, but they wounldn't cover it unless the wiring issue was taken care of too.

The is "THE JEEP FROM HELL" In for too much to sell it, maybe somebody can hit it and total it for me.

Anyone else every had a TJ POS like this one?

ztman 05-02-2013 09:50 AM

What did the carfax show on this jeep before you bought it?

GoldenSahara00 05-02-2013 09:54 AM

Sounds like a bunch of crap small problems, then you didn't check/do basic maintenance like check plugs after you got it, which could have prevented the plug issue. Not the jeeps fault, probably the PO's. Then you drove through a puddle in a hurricane and did the rest of the damage yourself.

Poor jeep.

tx_wolfman 05-02-2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ztman (Post 3710107)
What did the carfax show on this jeep before you bought it?

Probably my worst mistake. I never pulled a Carfax on it. Jeep, aka Crysler, told me when I called them that I was the 3rd owner of it. Original owner was in AZ from what registration papers I found in the glove box. Second owner prob was the dealer I bought it from.

tx_wolfman 05-02-2013 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3710118)
Sounds like a bunch of crap small problems, then you didn't check/do basic maintenance like check plugs after you got it, which could have prevented the plug issue. Not the jeeps fault, probably the PO's. Then you drove through a puddle in a hurricane and did the rest of the damage yourself.

Poor jeep.

Please read closely. NOT a hurricane. Rain like a hurricane. And yes a puddle, NOT a flooded out street, which are common in Houston.

The plug issue was bound to happen if I checked them or not. The PO obviously over torqued the plug in the head, stripping the aluminum head to almost failure. If I had changed the plug and torqued it, same end result. Right?

Small crap problems to you. You're not footing the bill. I'll be glad to accept your donations.

GoldenSahara00 05-02-2013 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx_wolfman (Post 3710149)
Please read closely. NOT a hurricane. Rain like a hurricane. And yes a puddle, NOT a flooded out street, which are common in Houston.

The plug issue was bound to happen if I checked them or not. The PO obviously over torqued the plug in the head, stripping the aluminum head to almost failure. If I had changed the plug and torqued it, same end result. Right?

Small crap problems to you. You're not footing the bill. I'll be glad to accept your donations.


You still drove through it, shooting water out of the fenders like geysers, in your own words...
Quote:

Originally Posted by tx_wolfman (Post 3710055)
I drove through a puddle that caused gysers out the front wheel wells......check engine light comes on and jeep stalls.

Maybe your not the sharpest tool in the shed, but how is that the jeeps fault?

So now you say the head was stripped due to the PO, if you knew this then you could have addressed the issue before shooting a plug. Or was the plug maybe just barely tightened? We don't know because you didn't say. And yes, those are small crap problems. Wiring is notoriously the worst thing about TJs, I have had a few of those problems, and fixed them myself. Your headlights didn't make a noise? Wow, I feel your pain...

Please, if you are going to come and complain about how terrible and unreliable your vehicle is, at least take some responsibility where due for your vehicle. I don't have a ton of sympathy for cry babies.

Gold Miner 05-02-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx_wolfman (Post 3710055)
Stripped the threads right out of the head. So after a two week stay at Hotel Jeep Dealer and $2000 later I have a new cylinder head

Why a new cyl head? I have never had this happen but a friend did on his Toyota. A helicoil would have been a way less expensive fix for this.... worked really well on his rig.

GingerTJ 05-02-2013 10:15 AM

My jeep had 10,000 issues.. I just fixed them before driving it all over.

ztman 05-02-2013 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx_wolfman (Post 3710131)
Probably my worst mistake. I never pulled a Carfax on it. Jeep, aka Crysler, told me when I called them that I was the 3rd owner of it. Original owner was in AZ from what registration papers I found in the glove box. Second owner prob was the dealer I bought it from.

Pull one now to see if any past major issues identified

tx_wolfman 05-02-2013 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Miner (Post 3710188)
Why a new cyl head? I have never had this happen but a friend did on his Toyota. A helicoil would have been a way less expensive fix for this.... worked really well on his rig.

That was an option. I have used them in the past. A stake kit was also considered, but was nixed because enlargement of the spark plug hole would cause concern of cracking between the plug hole and valve seat. So i bit the bullet and went with a new head. Who knows if the other plugs were ready to go either?

CarolinaBound 05-02-2013 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx_wolfman (Post 3710055)
MY very first post on the forum:
The dash cluster was replaced for no headlight chime, no interior lights coming on when the door was opened, this also fixed numerous other little problems.

They hosed ya here... All ya needed was a fuse. When ya ride door less you take out fuse #4 so that the interior lights don't stay on and kill your battery. This also kills the chime for leaving your key in or headlights on. Find a new shop.

tx_wolfman 05-02-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GingerTJ (Post 3710193)
My jeep had 10,000 issues.. I just fixed them before driving it all over.

Sorry if I sound like a "cry baby", but I do enjoy this vehicle a ton when it's right. I took it to North Padre Island and drove it down 40 miles of beach. Through deep soft sand and had a blast in it. Frustration I guess is what you'd could call it. When you want to enjoy something that's just giving you headaches.

tx_wolfman 05-02-2013 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaBound (Post 3710259)
They hosed ya here... All ya needed was a fuse. When ya ride door less you take out fuse #4 so that the interior lights don't stay on and kill your battery. This also kills the chime for leaving your key in or headlights on. Find a new shop.

First jeep. I'm learning. Thank you for the info. Fuse box behind the glove box, right?

ob269 05-02-2013 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx_wolfman (Post 3710290)

First jeep. I'm learning. Thank you for the info. Fuse box behind the glove box, right?

Yep that's the one.. I just leave that fuse out all the time.

GoldenSahara00 05-02-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx_wolfman (Post 3710290)
First jeep. I'm learning. Thank you for the info. Fuse box behind the glove box, right?


Correct. This is another reason I called them small problems.

CarolinaBound 05-02-2013 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tx_wolfman (Post 3710290)
First jeep. I'm learning. Thank you for the info. Fuse box behind the glove box, right?

Yep. Don't worry, it'll all come together. Any problem though skim the forum, google search "wranglerforum.com: [problem]". More than likely someone else has had the same problem before. Check out some of the stickies on jeepforum too, hopefully they still have good basic tech ones up.

scot68 05-02-2013 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gold Miner (Post 3710188)
Why a new cyl head? I have never had this happen but a friend did on his Toyota. A helicoil would have been a way less expensive fix for this.... worked really well on his rig.

True but remember his Jeep was at a dealer. No way a dealer will insert a Helicoil when they can sell a new head and all the additional parts and labor necessary to install it.

Relocatedduckman 05-02-2013 11:04 AM

I've spent over $3000 fixing issues. BUT they all were caused by me.. I had a lift installed when my jeep had 156k miles on it.. So tie rod ends, SYE, rear and front drive shaft, upper and lower ball joints, front axle u joints.. So trust me.. It never ends.. We ride hard so we can work hard. Lol

scot68 05-02-2013 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3710173)
You still drove through it, shooting water out of the fenders like geysers, in your own words...

Maybe your not the sharpest tool in the shed, but how is that the jeeps fault?

So now you say the head was stripped due to the PO, if you knew this then you could have addressed the issue before shooting a plug. Or was the plug maybe just barely tightened? We don't know because you didn't say. And yes, those are small crap problems. Wiring is notoriously the worst thing about TJs, I have had a few of those problems, and fixed them myself. Your headlights didn't make a noise? Wow, I feel your pain...

Please, if you are going to come and complain about how terrible and unreliable your vehicle is, at least take some responsibility where due for your vehicle. I don't have a ton of sympathy for cry babies.

I see your points but come on easy on the OP... ;) The guy is just venting, most of us have done it at one time or another. Sounds like he doesn't have the resources to deal with alot of the issues which may or may not have been caused by the PO. Probably why he went to the dealer.

tightlines 05-02-2013 11:26 AM

Being a newb myself I can understand the issues you've had wolfman. Hang tough, it will get better.

Neil F. 05-02-2013 11:32 AM

Also the gas when filling up is a common problem (05-06) and is well known. There are a lot of post and there is a known fix which I assume you got.

tx_wolfman 05-02-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaBound (Post 3710259)
They hosed ya here... All ya needed was a fuse. When ya ride door less you take out fuse #4 so that the interior lights don't stay on and kill your battery. This also kills the chime for leaving your key in or headlights on. Find a new shop.

You got me thinking now. I bought an extended warranty when I purchased the jeep. The head wasn't covered under the warranty because it wasn't an "internally lubricated" part that failed, but the dash was. If it was just a fuse out, the dealership charged the warranty company for a dash console and labor. They made out like bandits!
PCM was also covered under warranty. Still is this time under the dealerships parts warranty. Getting the wiring fixed will only help prevent other future issues too. But still out $2k+. Lesson in jeeps being learned.

tx_wolfman 05-02-2013 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil F. (Post 3710476)
Also the gas when filling up is a common problem (05-06) and is well known. There are a lot of post and there is a known fix which I assume you got.

Yes, I read most of them and knew what the problem was. They couldn't BS me on that one.

tx_wolfman 05-02-2013 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tightlines (Post 3710453)
Being a newb myself I can understand the issues you've had wolfman. Hang tough, it will get better.

I hope so. Barring any differential, transmission or transfer case issues, she's brand new!

UnlimitedRubicon 05-02-2013 11:52 AM

Continual problems do tend to sour one on a vehicle. As you've noted you're too far into it so you're only option is to ENJOY YOUR TJ. :)






Quote:

Originally Posted by scot68 (Post 3710384)
I see your points but come on easy on the OP... ;)


:thumb:

Big Sarge 05-02-2013 11:57 AM

Is this really a technical thread or a general discussion thread. Mods should probably move this one.

GoldenSahara00 05-02-2013 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scot68 (Post 3710384)

I see your points but come on easy on the OP... ;) The guy is just venting, most of us have done it at one time or another. Sounds like he doesn't have the resources to deal with alot of the issues which may or may not have been caused by the PO. Probably why he went to the dealer.

Of course, but we can't blame a vehicle for being junk. More like the previous owner was a POS, or the dealer that sold it. Sorry if I came off a little harsh but I've seen quite a few guys who sign up here just to complain. Sure he's venting an I understand it is frustrating, but the last issue was clearly his own fault, or partly the dealers for incorrect installation/sealing of the new PCM to prevent water damage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Sarge (Post 3710572)
Is this really a technical thread or a general discussion thread. Mods should probably move this one.

Probably qualifies as tech, since this is wrangler forum and there was a small bit of tech discussion. If you want it moved, report it and add your reason why it should be moved.

tx_wolfman 05-02-2013 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3710173)
Maybe your not the sharpest tool in the shed, but how is that the jeeps fault?

Please, if you are going to come and complain about how terrible and unreliable your vehicle is, at least take some responsibility where due for your vehicle. I don't have a ton of sympathy for cry babies.

I have fixed many others issues with this jeep myself. I've done all four wheels with new brake pads and oil change. Put in stereo amp and off road lights. Installed new rear bumper, welded it were it needed to be reinforced. I don't just run to some one else to fix my problems. I even tried to clean up the threads on the head with a tap. NO threads left there to clean up. My wife and kids and I walked a few miles several times to the auto parts store buy tools to try and fix before being towed. I just gave a brief synopsis of what happened. The dealer was ready to ship the head to a machine shop to see if they could put in the stake kit and I stopped it. Better to go with new head than risk further injury later down the road.

Venting, yes. Lighter in the wallet, yes.

Maybe not sharpest tool in the shed, but sharp enough to cut you.

tx_wolfman 05-02-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoldenSahara00 (Post 3710616)
Sure he's venting an I understand it is frustrating, but the last issue was clearly his own fault, or partly the dealers for incorrect installation/sealing of the new PCM to prevent water damage.

I welcome your ideas on sealing or preventing water damage to the PCM. I have a few of my own. Not sure how much air flow it needs to stay cooled.

GoldenSahara00 05-02-2013 12:34 PM

I wasn't trying to offend you, I just hate people who join the forum just to complain and bad mouth their jeep. It doesn't seem productive to me at all. You obviously care and do want to take care of your jeep, and just wanted to vent. That wasn't obvious to me at first though. I apologize if I offended you. I'll see if I can find the thread that talks about waterproofing the whole electrical system. Maybe something you want to look into.

Edit: All I have found is that the computer should be sealed well from the factory. I would check out what they did when they replaced it. Then fill all the connections up with dielectric grease and avoid water. Haha. I know there is a thread somewhere where a guy went all out and water proofed like EVERYTHING, but I can't seem to find it.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:31 PM.