Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   TJ General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/)
-   -   Lockers (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f282/lockers-239720.html)

JohnDoe 05-02-2013 11:50 AM

Lockers
 
I'd like to lock my axles so I could do some more crawling but I have almost zero knowledge about lockers. So do I need to replace the whole axles? Where? How? Price? Any help will be appreciated!!

sgtkersh 05-02-2013 12:05 PM

No, it just replaced the internal gear carrier at the high end or augments it at the low end. The low end is a lunch box locker that goes in the existing carrier like an Aussie locker that end about $250. Higher end are automatic lockers that replace the carrier like an Eaton/Detroit Locker that runs $500ish. High end is an electronic or air selectable locker that can ruin $1000. Plus install on all those.


Sent from AutoGuide.com App

Relocatedduckman 05-02-2013 12:09 PM

It depends on your axles. Going with the ARB lockers so I have the option to engage them or not.. It just depends on which ones you NEED. You can go cheap and get anti slip's or full engaginging. Some are pull and play, some are more difficult. Take it to an offroad shop and talk to them.. They are great at providing info and pricing!

XTRyan 05-02-2013 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe (Post 3710338)
I'd like to lock my axles so I could do some more crawling but I have almost zero knowledge about lockers. So do I need to replace the whole axles? Where? How? Price? Any help will be appreciated!!

JohnDoe,

Lockers can be a very complicated topic. You can get a locker installed into your current axles or can go all out and get a fully built crate axle with lockers pre-intsalled.

Check out this thread, it gives a ton of great information about the different types of locker and how they all work. Why do I Need a Locker?

We carry all the major brands of Lockers such as ARB, OX and Detroit. I do however recommend getting the locker installed by a professional because differentials require specific tools and precision to install.

Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I'll be more than happy to help.

-Zach

JohnDoe 05-02-2013 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ExtremeTerrain (Post 3710557)

JohnDoe,

Lockers can be a very complicated topic. You can get a locker installed into your current axles or can go all out and get a fully built crate axle with lockers pre-intsalled.

Check out this thread, it gives a ton of great information about the different types of locker and how they all work. Why do I Need a Locker?

We carry all the major brands of Lockers such as ARB, OX and Detroit. I do however recommend getting the locker installed by a professional because differentials require specific tools and precision to install.

Please feel free to shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I'll be more than happy to help.

-Zach

Thank you!!!

XTRyan 05-03-2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe (Post 3710734)
Thank you!!!

You're welcome JohnDoe! Again, if you have any questions about lockers, or any other products, feel free to PM me. I'll be more than happy to lend a hand!

-Zach

jeepwayoflife 05-03-2013 01:28 PM

What rear axle do you have? If it's a dana 35 with no upgrades, I wouldn't lock it. If its a dana 44, you're good to go.

JohnDoe 05-04-2013 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 3715142)
What rear axle do you have? If it's a dana 35 with no upgrades, I wouldn't lock it. If its a dana 44, you're good to go.

Why not

98 tj sport 05-04-2013 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe (Post 3719585)

Why not

Cuz a dana 35 is a turd, and u have to put a lot of money in it for it to be decent, I had one under my jeep and blew it up on 33s with an open carrier no locker, now I have a dana 44 locked with a grizzly running 35s and don't forsee any problems.

jeepwayoflife 05-05-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnDoe (Post 3719585)

Why not

Dana 35's are known as a weak axle and are not reliable stock when you add 33"+ tires or a locker. They are a total crap shoot. Some, like me, run them for 10 years on 33's with gentle throttle and never have a problem. Some snap them on 31" tires. I found a good deal on a Dana 44 and bought that to swap in just in case. If you don't want to do an axle swap, a "super 35" is a great option. It provides you with a locker and 30 spline shafts, allowing you to safely run 35" tires on a Dana 35 locked. Superior was the original inventor of the super kits but recently went out of businesses. Make sure to check if the retailer actually has the item you want from superior in stock before ordering. A couple other companies make a super 35 kit.

JReed615 05-05-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeepwayoflife (Post 3720417)

Dana 35's are known as a weak axle and are not reliable stock when you add 33"+ tires or a locker. They are a total crap shoot. Some, like me, run them for 10 years on 33's with gentle throttle and never have a problem. Some snap them on 31" tires. I found a good deal on a Dana 44 and bought that to swap in just in case. If you don't want to do an axle swap, a "super 35" is a great option. It provides you with a locker and 30 spline shafts, allowing you to safely run 35" tires on a Dana 35 locked. Superior was the original inventor of the super kits but recently went out of businesses. Make sure to check if the retailer actually has the item you want from superior in stock before ordering. A couple other companies make a super 35 kit.

They went out of business? Are you sure?

jeepwayoflife 05-05-2013 04:04 AM

Is Superior history? - JeepForum.com
Superior Axleshaft Delays & Dissapointments - JeepForum.com


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:17 PM.