Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Systems of issues w/ vaccuum pump booster thingy (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/systems-of-issues-w-vaccuum-pump-booster-thingy-239749.html)

Barmanvarn 05-02-2013 01:02 PM

Systems of issues w/ vaccuum pump booster thingy

EDIT: Meant "Symptoms of issues...." :banghead:

Some/most of you with 2012s (and maybe 2013s ?) are familiar w/ the vacuum pump that sits on the frame rail just behind the front bumper. It's poor location requires that it be moved for some winch/bumper installs.

I had originally moved mine to under the hood as that was the only kit available at the time. I've recently used a different kit to move it to below the front sway bar, thus freeing up room for the SPOD.

So I was wondering, if it had a loose connection or something and the pump failed, what would be the symptoms? Engine dies? Dash lights up? Radio starts blaring Highway to Hell and shortly after the Jeep explodes?

I'll just feel better if I know the symptoms when/if they arise that I'll know "Oh, I've got something wrong w/ the vacuum pump".

DuneYeti 05-02-2013 01:24 PM

Well the usuall stuff that operates with vacuum would be the power brakes and the heater vent controls. Good question though, i'm sure someone has bashed theirs on a rock and will chime in here.

enjerhoo 05-02-2013 03:24 PM

When I installed my bumper, I had to relocate it due to the clearance issue.

I noticed about 6 months ago that the vac line had worked its way loose so I reconnected it & zip tied it into place.

I gained almost 1 mpg but there weren't any noticeable side effects besides that.

Barmanvarn 05-02-2013 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjerhoo (Post 3711321)
When I installed my bumper, I had to relocate it due to the clearance issue.

I noticed about 6 months ago that the vac line had worked its way loose so I reconnected it & zip tied it into place.

I gained almost 1 mpg but there weren't any noticeable side effects besides that.

good to know. I've put a call into the dealership, but I don't expect a call back. Will drive over there this weekend and get an answer.

live_slow 05-02-2013 03:35 PM

In my experience, (XJ not Wrangler), the pressure required on the brake pedal increases, enough to notice, when there's a problem.

I relocated mine on the XJ and taped up the hose connection.

Wouldn't the newer JKs throw a code?

Barmanvarn 05-02-2013 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by live_slow (Post 3711360)

Wouldn't the newer JKs throw a code?

good question, I guess I could disconnect it and see what alerts, if any, I get on the dash.

My questions are kind of 2-pronged:
1) what alert, if any, will show on the dash?
2) what affects does this have on drivability (i.e. it goes out while I'm going 70 on the interstate, trying to brake at stop sign, etc)

enjerhoo 05-02-2013 03:42 PM

^^
Does your XJ have ABS? That might be the difference - vacuum operated brake booster vs. ABS controller?

You would think it would throw a code. That would have saved me +/-5 months of -1 mpg loss FWIW. I was surprised mine did not since the line was completely off.

live_slow 05-02-2013 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by enjerhoo (Post 3711385)
^^
Does your XJ have ABS? That might be the difference - vacuum operated brake booster vs. ABS controller?

You would think it would throw a code. That would have saved me +/-5 months of -1 mpg loss FWIW. I was surprised mine did not since the line was completely off.

Well yeah, it had ABS (sold it a while back), but that was 2001. Anyway, mine wasn't off for long, so I never had a serious problem, like freeway panic stops, and when I did realize it, I moved it and taped it up. I don't remember any ABS light on either.

So you make a good point as to how you would know if it was off for a while in a modern JK. Now I have to go try to find out what all of it's functions are on the JK :-P

Barmanvarn 05-02-2013 05:43 PM

Well see what the dealer says Saturday. May be tomorrow if I get time b

Barmanvarn 05-05-2013 07:07 PM

Confirmed with dealer this is for brake assist. If it goes out you may notice it is slightly harder to break.

I discod it today and started the vehicle. No errors on the dash. So I guess that's answered now.

FranksJK 05-05-2013 07:16 PM

do you have an auto? i moved mine 2 days ago and i notice when pressing on the brake in park it hear a pronounced click from the center console. sounds like a relay or something. i don't remember this noise before.

Barmanvarn 05-05-2013 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FranksJK (Post 3722733)
do you have an auto? i moved mine 2 days ago and i notice when pressing on the brake in park it hear a pronounced click from the center console. sounds like a relay or something. i don't remember this noise before.

Yeah. Auto.