Jeep Wrangler Forum

Jeep Wrangler Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/)
-   JK General Discussion Forum (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/)
-   -   Binding popping clanking??? (http://www.wranglerforum.com/f274/binding-popping-clanking-239858.html)

flyhigh 05-02-2013 10:03 PM

Binding popping clanking???

2010 JKU sahara auto. All stock minus Terraflex swaybar disconnects. Lately I have noticed a lot of noise from the under the truck. At low speeds, especially starting and stopping you can kinda feel a pop/clunk and hear a binding clanking sound. I only notice it at lower speeds and only in a straightline. Swerving slightly seems to have no effect on it. I took it to the dealer today and they took all day trying to diagnose the issue. At the end they said "its the swaybar links" which seems fishy to me. That seems like something easy to blame since its the only non factory part. Also the terraflex links are extremely tight. I need a rubber mallet to get them on and off. When i grab the link and shake it or shake the swaybar there does not seem to be any flex or noise at all.

Looking for wranglerforum's input, do you think its the links? Is there anything else I should check? I was thinking about disconnecting and driving around the neighborhood to see if it still made noise.

jkjeeper06 05-02-2013 10:24 PM

How many miles are on it? Have you been thru any deep water/mud?

If you've been try deep water/mud(up at least the Frame rails or doors) the. Swap out the tranny and diff fluid.

Before that tho. My guess is a heat shield is loose. Go under and see if you can rattle. The jeep makes more vibrations at low speeds so it would make sense

flyhigh 05-02-2013 10:30 PM

47,000 miles on it. I live in socal so not a ton of water/mud around. I've had it on dry trails only. I could check the heatshield but it doesn't sound like a rattle. It sounds like something in the suspension.

SilverSport 05-02-2013 10:34 PM

U-joint?

JPi4.0 05-02-2013 10:35 PM

My first thought was sway bar links. Second is one or more worn control arm bushings.

jkjeeper06 05-02-2013 11:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3712677)
U-joint?

I thought this too but he says only when it's straight. Usually U joints make a crackling on turns.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPi4.0 (Post 3712685)
My first thought was sway bar links. Second is one or more worn control arm bushings.

Could be bushings. That could rattle

flyhigh 05-02-2013 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 (Post 3712870)
I thought this too but he says only when it's straight. Usually U joints make a crackling on turns.

How should I go about checking that?

SilverSport 05-02-2013 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jkjeeper06 (Post 3712870)

I'm thinking drive shaft u-joints.

flyhigh 05-02-2013 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SilverSport (Post 3712999)
I'm thinking drive shaft u-joints.

Thats what I thought too, when i dropped it off I asked if they could look at them. Problem was I picked it up late and everyone but the girls at the counter were gone. So I couldn't actually talk to anyone. I'll give them a call in the morning and make sure they looked at the u-joints and everything. I suppose its possible its the disconnects. But they were silent when I installed them and they are less than a year old. I'd be surprised if the bushings had worn out already.

Tweak 05-03-2013 01:04 AM

look at your front springs, and then to the frame directly next to them. any rubbing? mine do, and I get a good pop, but you do have stock springs.

I'm leaning towards swaybar links, check the rear ones too.

rethyk 05-03-2013 01:33 AM

my old vw had worn out swaybar link bushings and it would pop and clank at low speeds. if you have some white lithium grease, spray some on the link bushings, and also your control arm bushings since they can produce the same type of noise. see if the noise goes away, if it does then you have just found your problem. you can keep spraying them with more grease every time they start making noise again if you want to be lazy but should actually replace them.

flyhigh 05-03-2013 08:00 PM

Got up this morning and decided to disconnect and drive around the block. I figured if its the links it would go quiet, if it was something else it would keep making noise. Drove a few blocks, no noise. When I was disconnecting I noticed that two of the bolts on the left side were loose and had some play. I tightened them back up and reconnected the links. Fixed.

Thanks for everyones advice!